Z Wave Migration Broke My Entire House

Do you think I should just skip using the wizard? I’ve tried the wizards twice now with no luck.

You have a choice.

just don’t update your version of HA. If you stay with the existing version you can keep using your existing configuration withn the old zwave integration indefinitely.

it only breaks if you update HA.

I updated from OZW 1.4 to Zwavejs over a couple of months at my leisure with no wizard and I think I only had to re-pair one or two devices out of 30. It was fairly painless but it was a bit of tedious work to get everything to be ready for the final switchover.

there is pretty much no reason I can think of that would cause your zwave stick to break and your network to come undone just by upgrading the server software that it ties to.

All of the device and network config is stored on the stick not in the server.

I recommend you restore your previous backup and migrate slowly from there.

1 Like

You should demand your money back.

Or maybe put a little effort into trying to figure out why you’re having issues while so many don’t.

3 Likes

You think asking people not to intentionally break other people’s stuff is too much…

Why don’t you invite the neighborhood kids in to smash up your living room with that attitude…

I can’t count the number of times I’ve restored from backup when an update didn’t go as smoothly as I planned. Backups are great! I love them!

One of the single-most best things about you getting to choose what’s on your hardware. If it works exactly like you like it, don’t mess with it. Just enjoy it the way it is.

Ooops… I think you mean “…programmers who are too lazy to care…”

so many other don’t, you say, let’s see about that…

looks like you don’t know what you’re talking about

In fairness to the programmers, I understand why they are recommending the migration - the old version will become incompatible with future versions of python, and the original open zwave is approaching abandonware. Its not really the fault of the HA programmers.

Having said that, I did have one hell of a time getting mine working.

Now that it is - its fairly nice. Its not faster than the older verison (might be a little slower?) But the component panel is a lot better.

I think there are a few of us out in the wild that are just outliers and have something different about our systems. Not sure what that is though.

That’s a cookie cutter point and click gui that makes your code for you. Boiler plate coding has it’s own problems, but its no where near complicated as writing a multithreading application from the ground up that interfaces with hardware. Calling other people incompetent is flat out rude, even more so when comparing it to a wordpress “program”.

That comment of mine that you linked is in reference to the Zwave 1.4 and it’s sloppy integration into home assistant 7 years ago. Zwave JS is 1000x better, even if you can’t figure out how to migrate properly.

So how about you step back, stop flaming people, and describe your issues so people can help. Otherwise if you continue to troll people like you do on reddit, you will be banned.

4 Likes

Wow. Who’s we ? You know, that goes both ways too. What about incompetent users who are too lazy to document themselves and just rant on public forums throwing insults left and right ? Legacy code maintenance is complex and expensive. That’s why even in the world of paid commercial software, legacy systems are migrated all the time. And for the few ones that aren’t for various reasons, you either are on your own (people still using Windows 7 or even XP) or you get custom legacy support that is typically very expensive.

This is open source, just in case you haven’t realized. People do this in their free time. There’s no entry exam or HR, everybody can join. Of course you’re going to get a wide range of quality, from real crap to stellar. It’s up to you to select what you want - it’s all free to grab after all. The old zwave integration you mentioned was abandoned by its sole developer. That’s unfortunate, but you have to accept that. There was nobody else who wanted to pick it up. So what are you going to do ? Pay someone ? Force someone ?

I agree, zwave 1.4 it was actually pretty good for its time (its immediate successor ozw 1.6 was not though). I used it myself for quite a while and I was happy with it. But I also migrated to zwave js a few months ago, because clinging onto an unsupported legacy platform is not the way forward. I did it manually, device by device. Took a few hours, no big deal. I’m very satisfied with the result, it’s stable and fast. And most important - it is actively supported.

No one intentionally broke anything. Migrating legacy systems can be hard, especially when they store control and management data in very different ways. I never tried the automatic migration wizard. Maybe it is a bit dodgy, but you always have the manual method. It’s not hard, you know. Since you’re a great Wordpress programmer yourself, you shouldn’t have any issues managing this by hand… (hint - it doesn’t actually require any form of coding and you don’t have to exclude or reinclude anything either).

I disagree with quite a few things the HA devs did and currently do myself and I do annoy people with my criticism on these forums too. But there’s a difference between disagreeing with things and being downright rude. Please show some respect to these guys. They put a lot of time and effort into this free software and they’re certainly not incompetent. Managing outlandish user expectations can just be as frustrating and demotivating for developers. This btw, was one of the main reasons the original zwave developer quit his project over.

2 Likes

He is claiming the update from python is purposely being applied to break zwave 1.4. At least that was the last thread I had to moderate on reddit where he was being incredibly rude and trolling. As you can tell, I’m starting to get annoyed with constantly having to moderate his posts.

Understandable.

At this stage it’s literally impossible to ban me permanently. I have access to thousands of IPs, and an infinite number of email addresses. When someone tries to permanently ban me, I will respawn a few times in a completely obvious way just to prove them wrong and have them create some weird rules they think will stop me, but just really end up hurting other users.

Then a few days later I respawn in a less obvious way completely undetected.

So threatening me is useless, because I am 397.2% certain I can come back.

Now the question is are you foolish enough to try, and can your self confidence withstand learning how powerless you truly are.

well I was going to try to help you out as I done the migration and though it was a bit of work to rename devices I did not lose my automations or configurations but since you seem to only want to be banned so you can respawn does not sound like you really wanted help just wanted to blame others for your incompetency typical beta male so good luck on your little games

3 Likes

I excluded and re-included everything today, since the majority of my automations are motion based, and the way motion is reported in the new JS system is completely different, my only option is to redo all the automations. If you think that’s my incompetency then you really don’t understand how any of this works at all.

well considering that I am running dual ZwaveJS servers that have about 70 devices between the both of them that I migrated from the old zwave 1.4 the only one that I had to exclude and reinclude were the ones that I moved to the second Zwave Hub and I did not have to redo any of my automations including my motion based ones, but hey obviously its not your fault you could not figure out the path needed to do migrate over I am sure they whole thing was setup to for you to fail and whine about how they were out to get you, well at least since you get to start from scratch it gives you the opportunity to do some clean up and trimming of your setup

2 Likes

At this point yes, the recommendation is for you to start again.

You can complain, but that won’t change what was and was not done. So recommend you get it going.

2 Likes

I really don’t want to ban you. Just be nice to other people. You have a chip on your shoulder and you won’t get help if you keep this attitude.

4 Likes

The DEVS here often make decisions and hardcode things, and aren’t interested in anyone who disagrees with them

But sure you continue to believe they would never intentionally break someone’s system because they said so

I am nice to other people, I just have no tolerance for people operating out of their depth and making mistakes I have to clean up, and call it out when it happens. People with huge egos who think I should genuflect before their greatness, don’t always appreciate my direct honesty.

not sure what that article has to do with you breaking your Zwave setup but ok, I managed to not only migrate my Zwave network but also setup a dual system into one Home Assistant, I must have been pretty lucky that the DEVS missed my setup and did not break it LOL

1 Like