Zanzito - A lightweight bridge between your Android device and your MQTT/home automation system

I think using a list of SSIDs is a great idea. I would make it so that if it detects a given SSID that it doesn’t poll the location sensors and doesn’t send data. I would also do this when it detects the SSID and whether or not you are connected to it.

1 Like

That would burn more energy than what it saves: it means having the WiFi scanner always active… maybe not a good idea.

So, to recap: I would insert a list of WiFi SSIDs into Zanzito preferences and, whenever the device connects to any of them, it disables location tracking?
I mean: Zanzito remains connected for all other updates, is that right?
What do you all think?

1 Like

@anilet

@CTLS
just show up in the notification pulldown but not show an icon

@thatkide
to get the back button action to not prompt to exit out of the app

It’s all done in Zanzito 1.2, see here

1 Like

Good point. I like that approach. If connected to a specified ssid then stop sending data but still be open to receive configuration messages.

Thanks, I really appreciate it.

1 Like

I start to have this problem

2017-07-24 22:34:41 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.template] Error parsing value: ‘dict object’ has no attribute ‘users’ (value: {“message”:“You should insert fingerprints before tracking, see documentation”,“success”:false}
, template: {{ value_json.users.mi5splus[0].location }})

camera mi5splus:
  - platform: mqtt
    topic: zanzito/shared_pictures/mi5splus
    name: Zanzito MI5SPLUS Camera 

device_tracker:
  - platform: mqtt_json
    devices:
      my_device: zanzito/mi5splus/location

notify:
  - name: claudio_zanzito
    platform: zanzito
    device-name: mi5splus

It’s a FIND error: have a look at your FIND server status (via its web interface) and see if something is wrong there.

but is not enabled in zanzito.

I had find before I can’t remember my login … nowhere to get it from

as far as I can tell from the error message, you have somewhere in HA something that parses a location message from FIND, which in turns throws an error for not being properly setup.
I guess it is not related to Zanzito, but let me know what you find out :wink:

gl

I started using the notifier component for Zanzito, thank you. I had a question about the config though, would it be possible to somehow pass a template to the device-name key? Something like the following?

─► grep notify: configuration.yaml; echo; cat notify/zanzito_jc.yaml
notify: !include_dir_list notify/

---
platform: zanzito
name: zanzito_jc
device-name: >
  {{ states('sensor.ha_jc_name')|lower() }}

I’ve abstracted personal information using secrets.yaml and have created a sensor with my name (which contains a capital letter), I then use my name as the device name which is also used with OwnTracks emulation. This may be a limitation of the notify component of HA and I’m just looking for other options.

Hi,
Yes, as far as I know you can’t pass a template as a component configuration parameter in HA. I’m afraid configuration parameters validation is out of the hand on the single component, but I could be wrong…

If you haven’t already done so, why don’t you open another thread asking this question in general: there are a lot of people here that know the internals of HA far better than myself…

gl

I didn’t know if it had something to do with the component but after I ran some tests with other components, I came to the same conclusion. Thanks! :slight_smile:

1 Like

So a really out of left field observation, but I noticed at times when I’m having issues with HA I tend to swear at it by name, Zanzito detects the keyword and spits back command not found. I thought for a quick half hour project I’d give it a bit more personality and write some activities/automations so that when I spout off and Zanzito detects it, HA would shoot back some funny responses through TTS. Because of this I found there’s a profanity filter in google voice that *****'s out parts of profanity even while it searches using the entire term.

No big deal. However, it turns out when you use a voice command in an activity that includes ***'d out terms, Zanzito encounters an error and shuts the entire app down. Not sure if there’s a workaround, or even a large need to workaround it, but I’m sure I’m not the only one swearing at my HA setup sometimes.

Wow, I didn’t know Zanzito could be so prude :smiley:

I could not reproduce this bug in in Italian: I’ll try in English later…

thanks
gl

EDIT: maybe you could send me a PM with the exact profanities that trigger the crash? :smiley:

You can turn this off in the JSON

"profanityFilter": false

I think it defaults to true.

On your phone, you can set it from here:

1 Like

Had to grab a slightly more recent faq on removing blocked swear words, but that did the trick. Still very weird that it gave Zanzito such trouble. Pretty modest app you’ve got there.

1 Like

Would be nice if you linked that more recent FAQ… Damn it! LOL
:wink:

1 Like

Sonofa… good point.

2 Likes

Literally LOL’d at your response. Thanks!

Thanks for a great app.

Would it be possible to set a prefix for the topic? Everything else is with service/something, except zanzito