Hope ZHA will soon get support for ZGP (Zigbee Green Power / Zigbee GreenPower) devices?
ZGP (Zigbee Green Power) technology is used by ultra-low power devices. ZGP specification is a part if the official Zigbee 3.0 standard and is today supported by most modern Zigbee Coordinator adapters.
Fact is that ZHA is today missing ZGP device support which is a limitation that I believe, at least in a few use cases, might a showstopper why some people choose to go with Zigbee2MQTT or simply buy Philips Hue Bridge instead of going with Home Assistant’s ZHA integration (which is based on zigpy).
Anyway, zoic21 submitted a pull request which would add ZGP support to zigpy once reviewed and merged. He is asking for help there to test that code is OK and this new feature do not break anything:
You can find a list of Zigbee Green Power devices in the zigpy feature request issue for ZGP here:
Summery; Zigbee Green Power ZGP), a.k.a. “Zigbee GreenPower”, is a subset feature of Zigbee the that allows for extreme low-power and energy-harvesting technology to be used directly with the Zigbee stack. Most common examples of Zigbee Green Power devices for home automation are rocker wall switches which use batteryless self-powered technology (from EnOcean) to work without a battery.
Wireless ZGP devices (end devices) for home automation devices may be powered by either different self-powered energy harvesting solutions or switches and sensors that can operate for up to a decade on a single battery coin-cell battery. Energy harvesting technology enables the maintenance-free battery-less / battery-free devices (end devices) such as switches and remotes operating in a Zigbee network. Zigbee Green Power V2 is included as a subset in the Zigbee 3.0 specification (Z3), however that is based on Zigbee Green Power V2 energy-harvesting technology that was a subset of the previous Zigbee PRO standard.
Certified ZGP products:
- Certified Products Search | IOT - CSA-IOT
Most common are the PTM215ZE/PTM215Z and PTM216Z modules by EnOcean which are sold to OEM which create products:
EnOcean self-powered Zigbee product series and modules for OEM
- EnOcean Easyfit Single / Double Rocker Wall Switch for Zigbee - EWSSZ / EWSDZ
- EnOcean Easyfit Single / Double Rocker Wall Switch for Zigbee - EWSSZG / EWSDZG
- EnOcean PTM 216Z module
- EnOcean PTM 215ZE module
- EnOcean PTM 535Z Transmitter module with enhanced security features
- EnOcean 2 click Clickboard from MikroElektronika for TCM 515Z
Friends of Hue partnership switches from ABB (Sweden), Illumra (USA), Kichler (USA), MAKRIS by Imoon (Italy), Vimar (Italy), Busch-Jaeger (Germany), Senic (Germany), Niko (Belgium), Sunricher (Hong Kong), Koizumi (Japan), Legrand (France), and John Lewis (UK) which I believe all use either the older EnOcean PTM 215ZE module or the newer EnOcean PTM 216Z module.
- More switch and luminaire partners for Philips Hue | Signify Company Website
- They're here! : new Green Energy Battery-free Wall switches for Hue Bridge (Illumra, Busch-Jaeger, etc) - Devices & Integrations - SmartThings Community
Examples Philips Hue compatible ZGP switches:
- Philips Hue Click - Same as Philips Hue Tap wall-switch below?
- Philips Hue Tap (Wall Switch version)
- Philips Hue Tap Switch (Remote Control version) Model 9290011152X
- Philips UID8450 single-rocker switch (UID8450/10) and UID8460 double-rocker switch (UID8460/10) ZigBee Green Power switch and scene selector
- ABB smart light switch for “Friends of Hue”
- Illumra ZBT-S1AWH (single rocker, white) for “Friends of Hue”
- Niko Friend of Hue Smart Switch
- Senic Friends of Hue Outdoor Switch
- Sunricher Kinetic Switch 4 (SR-ZGP2801K4-FOH)
- Sunricher Battery Switch (SR-ZGP2801K4-FOH-E)
- LED TRADING Dimmer Switch
- LED TRADING Zigbee Push Button Coupler
- Legrand Batteryless Switches
PS: zoic21 is the lead developer of Jeedom and this will also add ZGP support to its Zigbee Beta plugin.