ZHA - Philips Hue Dimmer Switch (RWL020 & RWL021) - All buttons fully configurable

Another ZHA Philips Hue Dimmer blueprint, I know… But hey, at least this one works :slight_smile:

I found that the universal blueprint for zha/z2m/deconz uses terrible logic at least for its zha implementation and so was looking for something better. Ran into a great blueprint but it was preconfigured for lights which I didn’t feel was the best solutiopn.

As such, this blueprint is a simplified version of stefanroelofs’s `ZHA - Philis Hue Dimmer Switch V2’, but this one has no default inputs and with full configuration available. This makes the remote easily configurable for purposes other than controlling lights.

If you are intending to just use the remote as a light switch, I recommend using his blueprint, which you can find on this same forum here (that’s a link to his post)

This is what the blueprint looks like:

Get it using this link:
Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

Manual install:
ZHA - Hue Dimmer Fully Configurable.yaml (github.com)

Please note that the Philips Hue Dimmer Switch also supports triple, quadruple, and even quintuple button presses. It’s fairly easy to configure these yourself by editing this blueprint.

Please also note that I am not much good at python and therefore probably cannot help you if this does not work. All credit for figuring out how all this works goes to @stefanroelofs and @vanstinator . I just adapted their work to free up the on & dimming buttons to execute other actions.

4 Likes

[contents removed as I merged it into the first post]

Thank you for that Blueprint works perfectly!

Thanks so much for making this! I have one RWL020 and one RWL022. For the latter, I’m using this similar Blueprint and it’s working as expected.

For this Blueprint, I have imported it, made a new Automation, selected my ZHA-added RWL020, configured some actions, and pressed some buttons, but nothing is happening. If I press the button, the “Last Triggered” time updates in the list of Automations and an event fires in the Device view, but my actions don’t happen. If I click the ⋮ Three-Dots Menu on one of the Actions in the Blueprint config and select “:arrow_forward: Run”, it runs as expected. Something isn’t connecting between the Automation/Event and the Action. Any tips?

1 Like

I am also unable to get any configured actions to run while using this blueprint with rwl020. I’m fact I can’t get any blueprint working with my rwl020 even though the triggers update when I press a button.

Any help would be appreciated

When the RWL021 is connected to the Hue bridge, repeatedly pressing the On button will cycle through a different scenes. Is that just using the double, triple, etc press functions?
Even when the light is already on the Hue bridge seems to count the number of times the button is pressed and acts accordingly.

I so want this to work, but no luck for me… nothing triggers on any button with the RWL021 :frowning:

Everything except turn on works, got a log entry that i cant fix myself… maybe anybody got an idea?:
When the light is on and mode is set to “fixed brightness when on” it also works to get the light to the fixed brightness.
But it does not turn back on when it is turned off.

Stopped because an error was encountered at 29. Dezember 2023 um 09:22:35 (runtime: 0.00 seconds)

ValueError: Template error: int got invalid input ‘None’ when rendering template ‘{{ state_attr(light, ‘brightness’) | int }}’ but no default was specified

@patzl
@coalfield
@xd1936
@Oseriduun
Sorry I failed to reply to you all, I’m meant to be getting notifications about this thread but I haven’t been. Did you manage to figure out your issues? I’m still using the template myself with no problems. I did change two lines in mid december but the core functionality isn’t affected. AFAIK the blueprint works as intended. Did other blueprints work for you?

@RemcoMe only 6 months late so I’m sure you’re figured it out by now, but no, it’s not the same. I’m not entirely sure how to reproduce that functionality other than making an if-then event on on-button press that basically cycles through (if off, then scene 1. If scene 1, then scene 2. etc). Double, triple press etc refers to quick presses in succession, which are registered as different event types. So you could, instead of cycling, instantly go to scene two from your example by setting that scene to double press.

2 Likes

Has anyone else found this stopped working recently?
Within the last week.

I’m not sure if there was a ZHA update or firmware update preceded it, but the button press events have changed: “on”, “step”, “step” and “off with effect”.

Device info:
RWL021
by Philips
Firmware: 0x420045b6

edit: nevermind. I re-paired the remote and it’s back to working with this blueprint again. Strange behaviour, I have no idea what caused it.