Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

@kiwijunglist if you have such locks you can help us support them. There is a guide on how to support new devices, and help is always offered when opening an issue.

1 Like

Ok thanks. I havenā€™t purchased my lock yet. I wonder if zigbee locks may use a more secure encrypted method?

Has a support to remove devices been added yet?

Support is there for a while: Check https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/wiki/MQTT-topics-and-message-structure#zigbee2mqttbridgeconfigremove

Does the router firmware support different zigbee channel

If i set a channel in the config.yaml file i am unable to pair the router firmware devices, is the router firmware channel fixed?

keeping at the default channel i seem to get a fair bit of interference from wifi.

I missed this, thanks for the pointer.

Check this out: https://www.cnx-software.com/2018/07/05/nrf52840-usb-dongle-bluetooth-5-thread-zigbee-802-15-4-ant/

3 Likes

Just a quick shout to @scottdarby, received yesterday, installed last night with no major issues. Cheers mate :slight_smile:

Have got a Xiaomi square button, round button and door sensor all connected up so far.

3 Likes

If I pair sensor to Zigbee2mqtt will it unpair from Xiaomi Gateway?

Is it possible to pair device both to Xiaomi Gateway and Zigbee2mqtt?

If I use both Zigbee2mqtt and Xiaomi Gateway, will it work like mesh to extend range?

1 Like

If I pair sensor to Zigbee2mqtt will it unpair from Xiaomi Gateway?

Yes

Is it possible to pair device both to Xiaomi Gateway and Zigbee2mqtt?

No

If I use both Zigbee2mqtt and Xiaomi Gateway, will it work like mesh to extend range?

No

2 Likes

Just a quick one regarding door sensors/MQTT/automations.

Xiamoi working nicely for states but having issue firing off an event when the state is changed:

- alias: Door Open - Light On Test
    trigger:
      platform: mqtt
      topic: 'zigbee2mqtt/xds1bedroom'
    condition:
      condition: template
      value_template: "{{ 'false' == trigger.payload_json.contact }}"
    action:
      service: light.toggle
      entity_id: light.bedside

Iā€™ve tried:
value_template: "{{ 'false' == value_json.contact }}"
and
value_template: "{{ 'false' == value.payload_json.contact }}"
but cant seem to get this working.

This works fine for buttons:
value_template: "{{ 'single' == trigger.payload_json.click }}"
so modified it for the sensors using the payload info from the sensor:
topic: 'zigbee2mqtt/xds1bedroom', payload: '{"contact":true,"battery":"100.00","voltage":3045}'

Anyone using MQTT/door sensors to trigger events? New to the MQTT side of it!

For binary sensors itā€™s no problem. You can automate based on state. The problem only comes with buttons that are sensors. There is a need to patch mqtt component in Home Assistant to provide event triggering on messages received.

1 Like

HA identifies the door sensor as a binary sensor: binary_sensor.xds1bedroom so is it my syntax thats wrong?

hereā€™s my automation code which uses an Xiamoi contact sensor and a wemo light both connected through zigbee2mqtt I also have some other conditions based on light level and motion.

- id: '1526613924124'
  alias: Garage Light On
  trigger:
  - entity_id: binary_sensor.contactsensor
    platform: state
    to: 'on'
  condition:
  - below: '5'
    condition: numeric_state
    entity_id: sensor.wirelesstag_garage_light
  - condition: state
    entity_id: sensor.aeotec_zw100_multisensor_6_burglar_2
    state: '0'
  - condition: state
    entity_id: light.0x94103ef6bf428aad
    state: 'off'
  action:
  - data:
      entity_id: light.0x94103ef6bf428aad
    service: light.turn_on
1 Like

Yeah, donā€™t do that.
The idea is MQTT is in the background handling the states/data in the background.
You want to use the HA entity state change to do the automation.

tube0013 has a good example.

1 Like

That makes a lot more sense now! I was over-complicating the MQTT side of it (still new to it) and forgetting the normal HA triggers :slight_smile:

- alias: Door Open - Light On
    trigger:
      platform: state
      entity_id: binary_sensor.xds1bedroom
      to: 'on'
    action:
      service: light.turn_on
      entity_id: light.bedside

Awesome, thanks for the tips guys.

Loving that I can now add Zigbee devices to HA without having a hub.

Ive had a box of Xiaomi stuff that Ive collected during sales just sat doing nothing after realizing I needed the Hub, then had issues with delays and pairings dropping off when using the Hub which can all now be put to some use :smiley:

Hello Scott, is this still up? I would be interested. Many thanks!! :slight_smile:

Have you tried it or do you happen to have any reference to this being compatible with HA out of the box?

Hello, may I ask what do you think about Zigate One Zigbee gateway to rule them all? ? Why are you guys creating a custom hardware when there seems to be a comercial product addressing this? (please donā€™t kill the messenger if Iā€™m missing something very obvious)

1 Like

Few reasons.
1). ZiGate is 40EU. This is 10USD. (excluding debugger)
2). ZiGate is hard to find & order (I just found kickstarter). The other keys are everywhere. AliExpress, Ebay, Amazon.
3). Itā€™s in French???

Not real reason I see to use thatā€¦