Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

i agree with the above

• these are cheap,
  • run in a docker container,
  • new devices are constantly being added to by the community,
  • easy to add extra routers
  • utilises MQTT for comms
  • it is non-commercial
  • it is cool to be part of the start of something this popular!

Is there a solution, where zig bee stick would be smth like z-wave? Inside the box, on gpio’s. It is not pretty like this

You can 3d-print one: https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=CC2531

I’m also planning to get a bigger case for RPI. This will include inside this stick and the m2sata disk.

Hi yes it is, just waiting on another batch now, should be here within a week, as soon as they’re in I’ll message you!

I took the plunge and ordered one of the 3D printed cases from Thingverse (first time ordering a 3D print).

Cost me around ÂŁ10 for both parts delivered.

Quality’s not too bad, needs some sanding and polishing if you want it looking pretty but it all fits together nicely.

One downside is there is no buttons so to rest the stick you will need to take it apart.

Hi,
followed this for a while and just ordered the necessary parts a week ago. The Xiaomi Sensors are priced to good compared to z-wave sensors available in my country.
Anyway since my HA server is on one side of my flat, i will definatly need a zigbee router in the middle to cover my whole apartment.

Can somebody confirm that the Osram Smart+ Plug (AB3257001NJ) will work for this or knows an alternive EU/Germany Plug? A LED Light as Router or the xiaomi power plugs wont work for me.

@All: Thanks for this great project!

I’ve been owning a zigate for few months, and I just moved to zigbee2mqtt.

• zigate firmware is closed source
  • both zigate & zigate_homeassistant are dead at the moment, no proper updates.
  • zigate is expensive
  • I’m french :wink:

I (and others here) use a CC2531 flashed with the router firmware, it works really well.

Has anyone been able to pull the Voltage out of the Xiaomi stuff correctly?

topic: ‘zigbee2mqtt/xcubebedroom’, payload: ‘{“battery”:“100.00”,“voltage”:3015}’

Battery works:

• platform: mqtt
    name: Cube Battery Level
    state_topic: “zigbee2mqtt/xcubebedroom”
    unit_of_measurement: ‘%’
    value_template: ‘{{ value_json.battery | int }}’

Voltage doesnt:

• platform: mqtt
    name: Cube Voltage
    state_topic: “zigbee2mqtt/xcubebedroom"
    unit_of_measurement: ‘V’
    value_template: ‘{{ value_json.voltage }}’

Try using the sensors pushed through discovery mqtt. Then with template sensor

- platform: template
    sensors:
      attic_temperature_sensor:
        friendly_name: 'Attic temperature sensor'
        value_template: '{{ state_attr("sensor.0x00158d0001c164f5_temperature","battery") }}'
        icon_template: mdi:battery
        unit_of_measurement: '%'

Is anyone else having range issues with the CC2531 routers, only seems to be around 5mtrs.

I own several osram smart+ plugs, I can’t confirm the plug really works as a router. My nearby aqara sensors don’t connect thru the osram plugs.

In the mean time, I’ve not been able to connect a cc2531 as a router to my cc2530+cc2591 coordinator.

Missed that they were also presented directly in HA!

- platform: template
    sensors:
      xiaomi_cube_battery_sensor:
        friendly_name: 'Xiaomi Cube Bedroom - Battery'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.xcubebedroom.attributes.battery }}'
        unit_of_measurement: '%'         
      xiaomi_cube_voltage_sensor:
        friendly_name: 'Xiaomi Cube Bedroom - Voltage'
        value_template: '{{ states.sensor.xcubebedroom.attributes.voltage }}'
        unit_of_measurement: 'V' 

These work nicely for everything but Door Sensors as they are Binary Sensors and dont have the attributes in HA :frowning:

Thanks for the reply, hmm maybe i have to look at something else for a router

Hi - I’m interested too, please!

My two Xiaomi door sensor’s have turned out to be faulty, one kills a battery in two days, the other has a 75% working ratio, sometimes it recognises as being open, sometimes not, so its been messing with my setup, and I am all over the place trying to work out it was the setup, or the sensor. Now got the joy of trying to get them returned to china :frowning:

Wasn’t having the best range with the temp/humidity sensors either, but it was technically two floors up. Might try running the USB key on a Pi zero I have with the bluetooth tracking running on it instead and see what happens, as this is on the middle floor of the house.

I had a similar issue with a door sensor that stopped working. Turned out to be the range, setup a CC2531 as a router and that fixed my issue.

1 Like

this definitely isn’t a range issue, the door sensor is only about 4-5 meters away max, and its pretty much line of sight, did some testing, and it’s the sensor for sure, its like the magnet get’s stuck, give it a flick and it “opens” Thank you for the advice though, I know the temp sensors was more than likely a range issue.

Does the Router CC2531 need to be connected to a computer? Or is it enough that it has a 5v supply via usb?

2 Likes