Zigbee2mqtt: getting rid of your proprietary Zigbee bridges (Xiaomi, Hue, TRADFRI)

Is the firmware for the CC2531 open source though? I keep seeing “download this firmware .hex file” - but have not seem the source.

I agree the zigbee2mqtt part is open, and that is all good. I have been wondering though where this firmware actually comes from.

Any 5v supply is fine, I don’t see it drawing much current either. You could run it fine off the usual mobile phone charger adapter.

I have mine plugged into my media player which is always on.

Ahh I see. Maybe check the battery holder, give it a pinch to secure the battery more.

There’s not a lot that can fail on the pcb mechanically.

zigate firmware is supposed to be opensourced, but it’s dead at the moment, and I suspect there some kind of conflict of interest as it would allow anybody to run the firmware on a cheap aqara sensor.

My xiaomi hub is playing up again so I’d like to join the club :slight_smile:

I see multiple different hardware options.

I’d like to have better range for stability. Which module combination of the three would you recommend nbm for a coordinator? CC2530
with ( RFX2401 vs cc2591 ) or something else? It would be for use with a Pi running hass.io, although i might switch to a pc in the future.

I’d like to also add a router maybe too. Currently i have about 5 motion sensors 10 door sensors 4 plugs 3 temperature sensors and 4 switches = 26 devices.

Thanks!

I need some help with understanding the output of a new device. I am trying to add the Xiaomi Mija Aqara lock .

Pairing is succesfull but it is very difficult to understand the output;

Periodic message (once every 10 minutes or so);

{ cid: 'genBasic',

data: 

{ '65281': 

{ '1': 3325,

'3': 29,

'5': 12,

'8': 4364,

'10': 0,

'100': 65,

'101': 255,

'155': 0 } } }

When a key is used;

{ cid: 'genBasic', data: { '65328': '0x140241ffffffffff' } }

So the first value is just an id for the lock I assume (65328). When a key is used I receive the key id so that’s good. I only have a lot of difficulty understanding the periodical message. I assume the first value is the battery voltage as this is the only value that sometimes changes.

I tried leaving the door unlocked but I couldn’t find a pattern. Can someone help?

I got my Xiaomi zigbee things working great with this. Now I want to pair my Hue bulbs. I’m not sure how to pair them though.

I got an Ikea TRADFRI remote. According to the wiki on GitHub you can use this to factory reset hue bulbs. I’m not sure how however. Currently I keep the reset button on the remote pressed near a hue bulb -> the hue bulb blinks a few times -> I toggle power to the bulb off and on. But zigbee2mqtt isn’t getting any pair requests.

What am I doing wrong? So far zigbee2mqtt has been working great with my Xiaomi things so thanks a lot for that.

As far as I know, you need a Hue remote to reset the Hue bulbs. When you have done so, than try to pair them with the zigbee2mqtt bridge.

I have just ordered the hardware to give this a go :slight_smile: It would be really good to be able to click on each of the supported devices and to get an example HA configuration. Is anyone already maintaining an example configuration for each compatible device?

It looks like you can reset them directly though the philips hue api:
http://thingsthataresmart.wiki/index.php?title=How_to_Reset_Philips_Hue_Bulbs

I have a bunch of these errors appearing in my logs:

Error parsing value: 'dict object' has no attribute 'battery' (value: {"occupancy":false}, template: {{ value_json.battery | int }})

Any idea how I can clear these? I have the following added battery sensor config:

- platform: mqtt
  name: "Laundry Motion Sensor Battery"
  state_topic: "zigbee2mqtt/0x00158d00022809ec"
  unit_of_measurement: '%'
  value_template: "{{ value_json.battery | int }}"

I’m using one Osram Smart+ Plug as well, the device extends the network, so I believe it works as router.

hey thanks, sadly i just ordered one of thos xiaomi onces and an adapter yesterday. Wanted to have a working router when the rest arrived. But i will get one of those smart plugs as well as they have a good price. Will test it then as well.

Hello everyone! I have a question (probably a dumb one)…
Is it possible to add support for new zigbee devices with the hass.io zigbee2mqtt add-on? So if e.g. I have a lamp (CLA60 RGBW OSRAM) which is currently not supported, how would I go about adding it to the pool of known devices? If it’s possible can someone briefly describe it :slight_smile:
Thanks in advance!

This page should help: https://github.com/Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt/wiki/How-to-support-new-devices

Thanks @jarrah but I already know about that page. Let me be a little more specific. E.g. where do I find the file node_modules/zigbee-shepherd-converters/devices.js when using the add-on? What’s the path and is it even accessible at all?

Can someone answer a question about zigbee2mqtt and xiaomi zigbee power plugs.

I currently have the power plugs in H.A. via the gateway. The plugs report watts used. If i plug in a heater and switch it between high and low, the power (wattage) used updates in the mi home app immediately, however it takes over a minute to update in H.A.

Question:

1. Does zigbee2mqtt report the power usage of these plugins.
  2. How long does the plug take to update in h.a. when the power usage (watts) changes?

I need to create an automation based on power usage of a 220v device and the Xiaomi update frequency currently is too slow.

Yes

Takes about a minute. The xiaomi app i recall was instant (i might be wrong). The ha xiaomi component using the xiaomi gateway reported every 3 minutes and half approximately, no matter if there was significant change.

I use these as a fan sensor. They report me the fan speed (6) and if the fan light is on/off. So i had to map 14 different states of power to have this working. It works very good ATM.

How much power are we talking about? If you need faster report the use a sonoff POW with tasmota. Those you can adjust the power report to one second if you want. I had them for my fans at the beginning, but at low powers (The fan tops 50W at full speed and light on) when fan was idle POW kept reporting spikes of 8W sometimes making look the fan was on when it wasn’t. Xiaomi plugs are more stable at low power.

Just personally i wouldn’t use a POW over 9A or 10A (2KW).

Yes. Xiaomi app is instant / within a few seconds.

I’m needing to monitor a rangehood fan. It has 3 or 4 speeds and led lights on / off. I can put the power monitor before the rangehood or i can put it between the rangehood and the fan (the rangehood had a remotely mounted fan). If the power usage is accurate I’ll put it before the rangehood so i can check the led state.

What are you using for your fan sensor, you didn’t state in your answer.

1 minute is not too bad, just wish it could be about 5s or so for the Xiaomi plug. It’s not as though it uses battery power.

The other option to monitor fan speed would be either a small turbine inside the tube or a microphone to monitor motor noise db.

The sensor is the plug. I know what speed is on and light is on/off by power usage.