Zigbee2Mqtt Update to 1.36.1-1 Causes Unresponsiveness

Hello everyone,

I’ve encountered an issue with my home automation setup and am seeking advice. After updating Zigbee2Mqtt from version 1.36.0-1 to 1.36.1-1, all my devices have become unresponsive. This problem has persisted for about a day now, and despite my troubleshooting efforts, I’ve hit a dead end.

Setup Details:

• Coordinator: ConBee II stick, which is recognized by Home Assistant with the following device path /dev/ttyACM0 and ID /dev/serial/by-id/usb-dresden_elektronik_ingenieurtechnik_GmbH_ConBee_II_DE2407335-if00. The stick seems to be properly detected and there are no apparent issues with the device recognition itself. (I also tried using both the ID and Device path in Zigbee2Mqtt)
  • Firmware Attempts: I’ve tried flashing the stick with both 0x26580700 and 0x26780700 firmware versions suggested for troubleshooting, yet, there was no change in the devices’ responsiveness. I’m not sure what firmware was installed before attempting the flash.
  • Zigbee2Mqtt Version Revert: Attempted reverting back to Zigbee2Mqtt version 1.36.0-1, which did not resolve the issue either.

Symptoms:

1. Unresponsive Devices: When attempting to turn off a group of lights, commands are published but no response is received, resulting in errors like no response received for different devices.
  2. Remote Controls: None of my remote controls are responding, indicating that the receiving part of the ConBee II might also be malfunctioning.
  3. Sensor Data Stagnation: The last update from all sensors coincides with the timing of the Zigbee2Mqtt update, suggesting a link to the issue. Yet, reverting the update hasn’t yielded any improvement.
  4. Lost Automation: Additionally, one of my three automations has disappeared post-update, which might be unrelated but is worth mentioning.

Logs:
Just standard publishing and no response received logs. Nothing weird or usefull (for me).

Seeking Help:

• Did my Conbee II die? Its a couple of years old. I never had any issues like this.
  • Are there any known compatibility issues with the 1.36.1-1 Zigbee2Mqtt update?
  • Suggestions on troubleshooting steps I might have missed are highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!

I don’t use your installation method but sometimes plain comp reboot could solve an issue.

Good suggestion, it made me remember that i forgot to mention that i did reboot OS and restart HA a couple of times.

I also use HA OS

• Core: 2024.3.3
  • Supervisor: 2024.03.1
  • Operating System: 12.1
  • Frontend: 20240307.0

I just repaired some lights and after they paired, they can be controlled again. It does not fix the other lights.

Does Z2M not remember them after the update? They still have their custom name after pairing.

It should. I have been using Zigbee2MQTT since version 1.0, and never lost devices during upgrade.
Got one device that was unsupported after the upgrade to 1.36.1, but that was because a change in custom converters, and is fixed since then.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ve never encountered any issues before, so it was just a shot in the dark.

I’ve managed to fix all my devices except for my Hue lights. They’re tricky to handle without the Hue hub, which I no longer have.

Everything else seems to be back to normal, but it still feels odd.

Edit:
Maybe the conbee II is just not great for me anymore. I could upgrade to a more stable stick. Suggestions? SONOFF ZigBee 3.0 was doing alright?

Not really.
All my Zigbee devices were unavailable after the update.
Only a reboot of HA helped.

There is a problem with the 2-3 latest Mosquitto broker versions. Could that be the problem? You can test it with trying to control light and checking for sensor values in the zigbee2mqtt web interface instead of using HA.

The latest good Mosquitto broker add-on is version 6.2.1

I performed the update right before going to bed, so I didn’t restart my Home Assistant immediately after updating, but rather 8+ hours later. Could this delay in restarting be why I had to undertake such extensive repairs?

Regarding the Sonoff, I mentioned it as a potential replacement for my old Conbee II, acknowledging that no stick is immune to odd Zigbee errors. However, I’ve heard that Sonoff tends to be slightly more reliable due to a better connection. Are there any other sticks known for their performance?

Great idea. I did gave it a go by attempting to control it through the Z2M web interface, but that didn’t solve the issue either. So, it seems that’s not where my problem lies.

Reading this thread from the top. I don’t belive it’s the update that hit you. This smells of network performance issues. Like number of and placement of routing devices or intermittent signal issues.

Especially the part where you discuss seeing the message send but no - response. Or flipping between versions not fixing it for you. That’s the network not Z2M.

Have you done any signal troubleshooting on the problematic nodes.?

You’re absolutely right, diving deeper into all the available information has made me realize that the issue might be connected to connectivity problems. It’s logical that some of my nodes depend on other nodes since they are too far from the Conbee II.

Perhaps the update caused some nodes to lose their connection, which would normally be resolved with a simple reboot, but I may have waited too long to perform this reboot.

Here is the network map after I repaired everything today:

Do you have any guides or tips on how to best troubleshoot signal issues? Is it just using the map?

P.S. After re-pairing, all devices reconnected and kept their custom names, but my groups didn’t work immediately. I had to delete and re-add the devices for each group.

Go to the cookbook and scroll down to technologies>Zigbee

Its the first link.

2 Likes

Is the problem putting them in pairing mode? I think the only way nowadays is to use one of their dimmer switches (RWL022). If you place it close to the bulb when it’s on, then hold down top and bottom buttons together for about 10 seconds, it should flash, meaning that it’s ready to pair.

There’s a number of posts about turning the light on and off a few times, but I think that’s an urban myth.

Touchlink if you use Zigbee2MQTT and a CC2652

1 Like

I had what I think is a similar issue. I upgraded from Zigbee2MQTT 1.36.0-1 to 1.36.1-1 on the evening of April 1. I noticed the next day (yesterday) that a couple of my automations were not working. Today, looking into it, I saw that my two in-wall Enbrighten switches were disabled on my Home Assistant Overview page. If I turned the switch on or off at the wall, it would become available for 10 minutes, and I could control it remotely. Then it would become unavailable. Looking at the history, these two switches first became unavailable right after I did that upgrade. I also upgraded a few other modules at the same time.

I rolled back to 1.36.0-1 by doing a partial restore of just Zigbee2MQTT from a backup and the problem went away. My two in-wall switches no longer become Unavailable after 10 minutes and my automations on them are once again working.

1 Like

Sengled E11-N1EA RGBW bulbs no longer expose color_temp, color_xy controls

This occured to me after the 1.36.1-1 update. Suddenly my Sengled RGBW bulbs became Sengled Element E19 Plus CT’s.

My solution was to restore the previous version 1.36.0-1 and the color bulbs were again recognized by the system for what they are. I forgot to disable “auto update” and it happened again. Restored again and I’m waiting for the next update to see if it has been fixed.

The Sengled patch has already made it into the next hotfix.

1 Like

I had the same issue with all 6 of my Enbrighten in wall dimmer switches with 1.36.1. Also, all of my 3R devices become “unconfigurable” with 1.36.1. I rolled back to 1.36.0 and everything is back to normal and working as expected without errors all over the place, or devices suddenly going “offline” for no reason.

I’m using Z2M in its own Docker container on a Synology NAS and my coordinator is a PoE UZG-01, broker is also its own container (mosquitto), as is HA. But I don’t relate this to an HA issue, I believe this is strictly related to Z2M 1.36.1.

1.36.0 has been really stable for me. I’m going to stick with it for a bit and try a new version later, give the devs some time to dig into it and fix things.

I also had issues with version 1.36.1. All my Securifi smart plugs would flip/flop between offline/online. Had to roll back to version 1.36.0. Looking the z2m github page it seems others are having similar issues with other devices.

1 Like