2022.6: Gaining new insights!

well, it wasnt…

guess we have to open that separate thread sometime…

Using the recorder.purge service with the repack option selected seems to work for me. It did take me a while to figure out that I not only had to select the check box, but also the switch way over on the right-hand side of the screen:

I’ve also been doing some DB maintenance off-line with HA shut down, using the SQLite DB Browser, where it’s called “compact” instead of “repack.” I think those are the same thing. I’m hoping I don’t have to do this any more, with the dramatic improvements in efficiency and the monthly automatic process.

I suspect your executor is overloaded at startup, or there is I/O in your event loop, or something is CPU bound which causes the executor overload in the first place. It is likely it is not going to be a single fix that solves the issue as usually there are many contributing factors that get the system to that point.

These two will probably help

If you open an issue and provide a few py-spy dumps during startup, we can probably figure out why it is so slow.

1 Like

Will do thanks Nick! Now where do I find instructions to install py spy on my Ha OS install?

I was using a script but also used the UI and it didn’t seem to do anything at all. I am using mariadb though.

• py-spy instructions (but update python’s version from 3.8 to 3.9 in the path of one of the commands.

If all else fails, download the .whl file from Release v0.3.12 · benfred/py-spy · GitHub and unzip it with the unzip command and extract the binary

I also have problems after upgrading. Are you seeing the same issue in your log:

Error while setting up growatt_server platform for sensor
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/entity_platform.py", line 249, in _async_setup_platform
    await asyncio.shield(task)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/growatt_server/sensor.py", line 74, in async_setup_entry
    devices, plant_id = await hass.async_add_executor_job(get_device_list, api, config)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/growatt_server/sensor.py", line 42, in get_device_list
    login_response = api.login(config[CONF_USERNAME], config[CONF_PASSWORD])
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/growattServer/__init__.py", line 119, in login
    data = json.loads(response.content.decode('utf-8'))['back']
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/json/__init__.py", line 346, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/json/decoder.py", line 337, in decode
    obj, end = self.raw_decode(s, idx=_w(s, 0).end())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/json/decoder.py", line 355, in raw_decode
    raise JSONDecodeError("Expecting value", s, err.value) from None
json.decoder.JSONDecodeError: Expecting value: line 1 column 1 (char 0 

Hello All!

Have a problem with my gasmeter:

Energy Dashboard is complaining about wrong device_class:

My configuration:
rest:

- resource: http://192.168.133.91/counter
  scan_interval: 60
  sensor:
    - name: gas counter data
      value_template: "OK"
      json_attributes:
        - gas meter
        - company
        - s/n
        - install date
        - timestamp
        - counter
        - volume
        - millis
  binary_sensor:
    - name: gas delivery
      value_template: '{{ value_json.delivery }}'

template:

- sensor:
    - name: gas meter name 
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.gas_counter_data', 'gas meter') }}"
    - name: gas meter company 
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.gas_counter_data', 'company') }}"
    - name: gas meter serial number  
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.gas_counter_data', 's/n') }}"
    - name: gas meter install date 
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.gas_counter_data', 'install date') }}"
    - name: gas counter timestamp 
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.gas_counter_data', 'timestamp') }}"
    - name: gas counter 
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.gas_counter_data', 'counter') }}"
      state_class: measurement
    - name: gas volume 
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.gas_counter_data', 'volume') }}"
      device_class: gas
      unit_of_measurement: "m³"
    - name: gas counter millis 
      state: "{{ state_attr('sensor.gas_counter_data', 'millis') }}"
      state_class: measurement

utility_meter:

gasmeter_yearly:
  source: sensor.gas_volume
  cycle: yearly
gasmeter_monthly:
  cycle: monthly
gasmeter_weekly:
  cycle: weekly
gasmeter_daily:
  cycle: daily

All entyties are there, no other problems but my energy dashboard reports wrong device_class.
Tryed device_class: “gas” and “energy”.
unit_of_measurement: “m³”

Any hints
Marc

I appear to have an issue with 2022.6.6 whereby UniFi switches for network devices are no longer able to be turned off.

When turned off the switch bounces back to on within a second. Was working in 2022.6.5 and earlier. Can’t see anything in the logs or in the above thread so thought I’d see if anyone else has encountered this.

Cheers
James

I have not added any significant number of entities or automations recently. I only use includes in my recorder config; mostly I include specific entities and only use a few globs where necessary, so I think I’m being very judicious in what I record.

I queried the DB and identified a few “heavy hitters” that I decided really didn’t need to be captured. I’ve removed those and have performed multiple Recorder: Purge calls with the repack option checked and enabled.

Despite that, the DB continues to grow.

Have you looked at the energy tables (statistics*)? I had problems with those always growing a few releases ago, but for me they seem to have settled down a bit now.

If that’s not it, then it’s back to checking the events and states tables. Check your purge_keep_days and make sure the excludes you’ve added are working as intended.

Others have been seeing this prior to 2022.6.6
Not sure if it’s related to a Unifi update, an HA update or both.
There is a github issue open for this. Please post your details there so the author knows this is an ongoing issue that more users are seeing over time.

Edit:
there’s seems to be a more active issue here instead

1 Like

did you also filter them in recorder: ? because if not, they will simply return…

Yes, I meant to say I’ve removed them from recorder. I did not manually remove any records from the DB.

Can’t wait for that!

I like to use packages for related entities, so in your example aquarium_pkg.yaml would include an MQTT section, maybe a light section, and whatever else pertains to the aquarium.

After installing Core 2022.6.7 i’m getting several “over 10 seconds” warnings:

Setup of flux_led is taking over 10 seconds.
Setup of switch platform wake_on_lan is taking over 10 seconds.
Setup of climate platform intesishome is taking over 10 seconds.
Setup of climate platform tado is taking over 10 seconds.

also these:

Config entry 'Philips hue' for hue integration not ready yet: Error connecting to the Hue bridge at xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx; Retrying in background
Config entry 'Masking Top' for shelly integration not ready yet: Timeout during device setup; Retrying in background
Config entry 'Masking Bottom' for shelly integration not ready yet: Timeout during device setup; Retrying in background

Te be sure I rebooted two more times after the update (first reboot after update is always slower) but no change.
Never had this with previous builds.

ps everything seems to work and these messages are probably nothing to worry about, just a bit weird it started after 2022.6.7.

1 Like

Anyone else having issues with feedreader rss since 2022.6.5? For some feeds, the event trigger is firing on every refresh instead of content change causing the automations (generally notifications) to fire over and over (and over) again. There’s a github issue so I know I’m not alone, but am interested how widespread the issue is.

Does anyone know why this happens and how to stop it? It has been doing this for several releases now. More annoying than a problem. If I leave the tab alone this will keep adding “My” to the tab.

HA Tab

This is the open tab in Firefox browser that normally says the section you are on in HA and then "My Home Assistant for tab title. It does the same thing in Chrome too. If I open HA in the browser it just keeps add the word “My” over and over.