A refreshed logo for Home Assistant!

Correct. And thatā€™s why the HA logo kept its color, general shape and the antenna design inside.

Hereā€™s an interesting one. Whatā€™s your take on this one ? For those who donā€™t know, P&G is one of the largest consumer goods companies in the world and you probably use several of their products maybe without even realizing it. Their consumer research department definitely knows what its doing.

Perfect example of going from the first crude design styles to a modern simplified lookā€™nā€™feel.

2 Likes

And the last one is one of the best (if not the best) balanced logos out of all of them.
The new HA logo may be liked by some users or not. But the point is that it has objective flaws listed in the discussion above. Some of them are so obvious that seems strange the logo has been accepted in this form.

BTW itā€™s very important to know the reasons why companies change the logo. Sometimes those are purely technical reasons (like printing or displaying technology) sometimes they need to indicate the change in the company structure or profile. Iā€™m not aware of anything ground-breaking in HA recently to require the logo change.

In Russia we have one more reason for rebranding - corruption: money need to be transferred to somewhere. We have many examples here(

They made stickers, but I wouldnā€™t recommend them. Just got mine and the print quality is pretty terrible. Looks like they took a very low-res image and scaled it upā€¦itā€™s pixelated and very bad.

1 Like

I think the old logo looked great on a T-shirt, or a web page on a reasonable size image.

But it scaled very badly. The favicon (little logo next to URL) looks like a blue dot with a dead fly if you scale down the old logo.

There are hardly any hardware products on the market that includes a ā€œworks on Home Assistantā€ today. I remember Paulus talking about working on that. But it is getting crowded. Works on Alexa. Works on Google Home, Works on Home Kit, Works on Homey. On a packaging of a small device space is limited and you do not get many pixels x pixels for your logo. I can easily see why Paulus wanted a simplified logo. And I think that Madelena did a good job because the new logo is simple and scales well, while still being recognizable for anyone knowing the old.

Inside Home Assistant - in a browser - you have to search for quite a while to even find a Home Assistant logo. And thank you for that! They could have made a logo looking like a turd and few would even notice. It is mainly on the homeassistant.io site we see the logo. Not in our homes. It does not matter for any users. Noone is getting a divorce because our partner pukes over the Home Assistant logo.

To @tom_l thank you so much for adding humour to the discussion. I laughed for minutes. There is one small improvement missing from your proposal. I think there should be a septic tank under the house. I would really like a septic tank. And I want the T-shirt.

8 Likes

Call it humour I feel mocked.

3 Likes

Okay. Those all look odd to meā€¦ and sorry, the latter are just letters presented with different fonts and colors.

If someone doesnā€™t like the new ā€œrefreshingā€ (ROFL) HA logo, then so be it. I donā€™t like it and have replaced it wherever I can.

I canā€™t replace it with the Android Companion App and Iā€™ve already thought about whether I really need the Companion App (dito with Nabu Casa - I am a user of AWS but just to lazy to set it up to replace Nabu Casa, but more and more I feel time is coming)

The last thing I expected is that I get mocked in here for my tasteā€¦

1 Like

This your first post in the thread, so

1. Who mocked you?
  2. which post or expressed opinion of yours was being mocked? (link please)
  1. oh, come onā€¦
    In my opinion, it doesnā€™t matter whether itā€™s my first or tenth post in this threadā€¦ Iā€™ve been reading here from the beginning and so far Iā€™ve just held backā€¦ but at some point itā€™s enough.

I am not talking about me being directly mocked, but about people being mocked who expressed that they donā€™t like the new ā€œrefreshingā€ logo.
Mocked for example by a moderator in here ā†’ A refreshed logo for Home Assistant! - #206 by tom_l
EASY to do something similar with the new ā€œrefreshingā€ logo just to mock all those who like it. No?

1. and why you are stepping in? I donā€™t remember addressing you directly.
4 Likes

Your screenshot doesnā€™t show the new logo vs the old one.

And the old one at that size nicely illustrates the need for something simpler in my opinion. It looks like a vaguely house shaped bug infestation.

5 Likes

Such a long discussion about a logo change. Anything else has to be great in home assistant. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

have the Market and User Research Data that clearly show the Logo had to change because of better actzeptance materialised yet?
@madelena

2 Likes

Please donā€™t @ people demanding they reply to you.

FAQ: Should I tag people?

Yes, because I removed the new one. The screenshot shows the favicons of the URL of my HA and of the URL of this forum in a browser and was not meant as a comparison.

See, thatā€™s what itā€™s about: taste and / or opinion. And I wasnā€™t aware that there is a need for a change in my work environment. :wink:

Why should the opinions of others influence or play a role in my work environment when I donā€™t agree?

Use it in marketing, on your websites and wherever you want, but not on my mobile. F.e. it would have been easy to leave the old logo within the Companion App so someone can choose which one to use (with an additional app).

Well, to me the new looks like a to small shed with some soldering points. Or is it an arrow?

1 Like

Hi Guys,

First of all, congratulations on your excellent work. Really excellentā€¦ However, I canā€™t go without commenting on the new logo. This one looks like a bad draft of the previous one. Iā€™ve read a lot of explanations but the problem is there: An image needing explanations. The previous logo was self-explanatory, visually appealing, conveying an idea of robustness and perfectionism. In Portugal we have an expression: The best is the enemy of the good! And thatā€™s the case, the logo may look great, but itā€™s not good.
I sugest that in the next version you put a vote section wiht a pole about the logo. Only two anwserā€™s: Like, dislike. Then you show the result. If the dislike wins make a logo contest, again with a pole.

Thank you so much for the nice work ( and for the no so nice logo :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

That could be fun. I mean, everyone is free to send a logo proposal.
First selection of, letā€™s say, 10 is made by the HA team, it is their product after all.
Then one organise a contest between the 10 nominees.

3 Likes

HUT assistant :wink:

I will roll with it. Keep up the great work!

May I say, that logo on the right (home-assistant.io) is already a lot more acceptable. Now just to get rid of that childish thing on the left in the UI, appā€™s etc.
Note: screen capture of the logoā€™s for recent sites as shown in Firefox, I did not configure anything myself.

4 Likes

Indeed some Really are !, others forget/accept faster, move on, and donā€™t let irrelevant things affect their live to such a great extend as ā€œSomeā€

1 Like

i do wonder where the new notification icon [ios] came fromā€¦ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

i am pretty sure i didnā€™t change anything there :thinking:
(i do like it thoughā€¦i mean the background :stuck_out_tongue: )

1 Like