Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

You can compare with my blog post about the same fan controller. I have partially used auto-discovery, for example for the light. However, as soon as you configure auto-discovery on the Tasmota device (SetOption19 1) the MQTT topic order changes.

1 Like

The Kogan Smart kettle is half price at the moment if anyone is interested.

Hey All,

I’m trying to get a Bahama Smart DC ceiling fan up and running as @exxamalte has done above.

So far i’ve been unable to flash it with tuya-convert (assumption is i’m running the latest 2.4.4). It’s just not picking up any available devices and timing out. Interestingly, i’m not seeing obviously SSID coming from the controller. This tuya-convert setup recently did some genio LED strips.

To get into pairing mode (there is no reset button etc) I’ve tried just powering it up and also powering it up and then holding the remote “fan on” button for 10 seconds until I hear a second been as confirmed by Malte and the booklet. I’ve also tried 3 quick-ish power cycles to no avail.

I assume its likely i’ve just purchased it too late for the older tuya-convert capable firmware.
Inside the controller is a TYWE2S with accessible pins at the bottom.

I guess I shouldn’t have much trouble with a serial flash but i’d prefer to avoid it.
Before things get messy i’m going to try and figure out how to get tuya-convert 2.3 onto my pi and try again.

A big question I have is: if its determined I have no choice but to serial flash it, is there any harm in getting it connected to my phone with the brilliant app, make sure its working and seeing how far I get with things like tuya-local, native tuya integration etc?

Yes i’d much rather tasmota but If it were to be fully functional through the cloud in HA with reverse directions, all speeds etc then its not a bad outcome - until another firmware kills that off too :stuck_out_tongue:
At which time I could pull the controller and flash it.

Any insights would be great - its almost summer and i’d say there are a few of us looking at this. Would love to provide another guide for people.

Cheers,

Linton

1 Like

It looks like you may be hitting the PSK Identity issue that is preventing Tuya-Convert from working with newer devices (I hit this issue with my newer Brilliant Smart Dimmer mechs - these also use TYWE2S modules inside)

You can always flash using serial regardless of what version of Tuya firmware is running on the TYWE2S. But based on your photos, you might find it tricky accessing the IO0 pad which needs to be pulled to GNS in order to enter programming mode (The pad sits directly behind that big capacitor in your first pic):

Good luck - let us know how you go.

1 Like

Yeah I’m thinking I can reach the GPIO0 pad with a breadboard jumper lead :slight_smile:
I’ll be breaking out the soldering gear tomorrow :slight_smile:

Progress!

Picked up a set of the 800 LED bulbs today.

No luck doing Tuya Convert. Opened up the control box and the chip is a Tuya WB3L chip.

1 Like

Quick question for you gurus. I assume Oz is similar or the same as NZ. What’s the deal with plugging in micro controllers around the house via wall wart etc. being extra low voltage they are sweet as? Wall wart is obviously required to be compliant? If the device interfaces (ie switches mains voltages) then I assum

The electrical approval is the same for both countries, there is a joint NZ/AU standard.

Yes you can plug, say, an esp device into a wall wart. But as you say, if it controls a mains voltage it needs to be approved.

I’ve had my eye on these lights for ages but wondering if they can be flashed with Tasmota / ESPhome. I can’t find any evidence of anyone doing it. Did you try at all?

Does this mean that it can’t be flashed by tasmota or esphome?
Was thinking of getting these too not sure if this is a deal breaker or not

Yes it is a deal breaker.

Hi All,

I have a tricky problem with 3 out of my 6 Brilliant Ceiling fan controllers flashed with Tasmota on latest version 9.1.0.1, was also happening on earlier versions, I updated them all as a troubleshooting step (see https://templates.blakadder.com/brilliantsmart_99111.html, I followed https://newadventuresinwi-fi.blogspot.com/2019/12/brilliant-smart-ceiling-fan-remote-in-home-assistant.html and got a lot help from @oscill8ory)

I got these about 11 months ago and now 3 don’t work via their remotes (which run on 433.9MHz frequency). These all work correctly in Tasmota/Home Assistant and there appear to be no differences between the logs of the ones that do work and don’t. They all worked out of the box when I got them, now given it’s summer again I find these issues. One positive is other house members now have to use Apple Home to turn them on and it means I can do way with physical wall switches in the future (I can dream) :slight_smile:

What have I done:

Changed batteries in remotes
Changed the dip switches on the remote of one not working to a fan that does work and it works (so says the remote is ok)

I want to get some help to see if this could be software or hardware?

I can still return them (under 12 month warranty) but concerned returning 3 might raise questions, given I can’t put the original firmware back on there (with out soldiering as did these via OTA and do have some parts/tools to do a serial connection I would prefer not to) if they want to check they refuse the exchange.

Thanks for any help.

I had a quick scan back through this big post, but couldn’t find out the latest update.

Are the Arlec Grid connect devices still flashable with Tuya Convert. Specifically the powerboard https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-grid-connect-smart-4-outlet-powerboard-with-usb-charger_p0074829

I bought one about a month ago and it flashed fine via tuya convert. I used an ESPHome implementation.

Good news. Thanks.

Hi There

Anyone had any luck flashing these https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-grid-connect-smart-7w-led-downlight_p0102572 with Tasmota lately?

I purchased 4 a few months ago and flashed them all successfully with tuya convert and they work perfectly. So i went and purchased another 4 a few days ago and now no go! could it be the new tuya firmware issue?

I might need to flash them via serial but it looks like a pain to solder.

I’m curious as well, I just want to buy a few. Might just have to do it the hard way.

Bit of a long shot, has anyone come across one of these, but with the USB ports on top?

EDIT… finally found an image - like this, but AU plug passthrough:

You mean like these?

https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-smart-plug-energy-meter-5v-24a-usb-ports-4-pack/

FYI…the newer firmware they run can not be flashed with Tuya convert (currently). I have older version firmware that was flash-able, they are good plugs.

1 Like