Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Yes most Shelly items are certified for Aus (go to this site https://equipment.erac.gov.au/Public/ and in the “Applicant” field, type “Allterco” Shelly’s parent company), you’ll get this unhelpful list, you need to click on each link to discover the model name

e.g.the 4th one in the list is the Shelly Plus 2PM

The “Plus 2PM” recently (June-2022) became certified. It’s the ESP32 version of the 2.5 with bluetooth and a much better web UI. Have a look at:
SHELLY Wi-Fi Australia - SmartHome and
WIFI Home Automation Solutions Australia - Smart Wireless Home Products – tagged "Shelly"

Both the 2.5PM and the new Plus 2PM do energy monitoring.

For energy monitoring plugs, I’ve had success with the TP-Link “Kasa” type, scroll up a few posts to see my recent comments on this.

Good luck.

Using HA KASA SMART integration, my KP115 plugs do not have this feature.

But my Arlec PC191HA ones from Bunnings running Tuya have dp_id 9 “countdown_1” which toggles the switch after 0-86400 seconds.

Both fit nicely side by side and have easily accessible manual switches … but I’m planning to try an Athom Zigbee next time I need to buy a switch

1 Like

I pulled apart 3 dead Brilliant Smart plugs to see if I could see anything exciting. But couldn’t. Not that I’d know what to look for other than something obvious.

Interestingly the one in the left is an earlier model but external labelling is identical. I think I recall people mentioning that at an earlier point.

What can we learn from this? Probably nothing;)

They popped apart easy enough with a pry-tool.

They all had TYWE2S chips and were Tasmotized then ESPHomed…

The one I popped open had a dead ESP module. It was getting a stable 3.3v but doing nothing. I could have replaced it but have had enough. Moving on.

1 Like

Do you know if increased flash write cycles could be the cause of that kind of thing?

I seem to recall some mention of it a while back.

Still getting my head around what triggers a write and how it applies to esp8266 & esp32

Any Athom Smartplug users feel free to drop your lifetimes over here as they come in…

There’s some early indications of potential issues.

I’ll leave this thread clean for certified topics;)

That is mighty disappointing as Mercator isn’t the cheapest of the lot either!

I think i’ll be looking for a new dimmer mech , now the search for a no neutral dimmer is gonna be fun :frowning:

1 Like

Not sure about the dimmer mech, but I know Shelly make a no-neutral dimmer relay Shelly Dimmer2 - All Products - Products - Shelly

Curious if anyone has looked into smart (major) appliances that can be integrated with HA?? When i’ve looked previously, a lot of the smart(er) models have not been released in australia.

While I have traditonally been against smart appliances (couldnt see the point), I have been working on optimising my energy use in the house (primarily by hunting down phantom power). But doing so has got me thinking my other appliances like the dishawasher, washing machine, and tuble dryer; where it would be nice if I could control when they start their respective cycles. That way we could load it up, mark it as ready to run, and when there was spare solar power available start the cycle going.

My current dishwasher could probably be rigged with a couple of switchbots for the cheap solution, but my washing machine requires a dial to be turned to set the correct cycle.

what would work with mine is I could turn the dial ready to go but use a smart switch to isolate power and then turn it on when I wanted….

Didn’t go with smart white goods. Have had to replace the fridge, dryer and washer this year though.

Fridge… It’s gonna fridge anyway. Did manage to drop abit of consumption there for a larger fridge compared to the old one. Went from 1.6kwh to closer to 1.2kwh per day. (it’s actually a touch louder than the old one… Quiet, but we never heard the old one.)

Dryer, (not smart) went from an old vented resistance style to a heatpump, little bigger. Don’t actually track the individual power on that, overall usage seems about the same, but the dryer gets used more. (also takes like 3.5hrs…) it does delay start by 1hr increment and also sense dry for early stopping. (keeps the laundry(room) dry unlike the vented one)

Washer, replaced a smaller older front loader, the carbon contactors on the motor had worn right out, it was going to be 1/3rd of the price of a new washer to replace the rods without labour $$s. So new inverter washer. Quick wash is 16mins, normal wash is 1hour, eco wash is 5 hours. I have no idea how that makes sense. Can’t tell you if the 5hr cycle actually saves any power. The 16 min or 1hr cycles are fine. Also has delayed start by 1hr increments.

We have solar, our peak is 3pm to 9pm. Mostly just try not to run stuff at peak.

Oh that’s a nice discovery. How do you set the time value for this in localtuya?

I’ve got a smart dishwasher (LG) and a smart dryer (electrolux).

The dishwasher can’t be turned on remotely so the smarts are purely for monitoring and data in HA.

The dryer can be remotely stopped and started but only if a button is pressed on the dryer after it is powered on each cycle. It’s an enable remote control type button and defaults to off every time.
The electrolux app is also so Extremely flakey that it often fails to connect and trying to stop the dryer seems impossible. This follows it into HA also when using an integration so there’s no good local control.

I have a myzone 3 aircon controller. The myzone app is completely stuffed and fails to connect and respond all the time. It’s actually the reason i got into HA. Someone developed an integration for it and it’s local and reliable. It works 100% of the time and i would recommend it to anyone.

When defining the devices in LocalTuya I add entities for dp_id 9 (countdown) and 38 (relay_status) and also 18, 19 and 20 (though current, power and voltage are already available as attributes of the switch entity). I find that some units also expose dp_id 17 add-ele (this doesn’t seem to be useful in HA); and dp_ids 21-26 (these values never seem to change, so maybe some serial number ?)

To start the countdown, simply set the value of the

When the countdown (in seconds) hits zero, the state of the switch is toggled (on → off or off → on)

1 Like

I have LG thinQ washing machine and dryer integrated into Home Assistant.

I find I get more utility from a Athom/ Kassa/ Meross Smart Plug to give me power/ energy consumption.

Which I can then use in my energy dashboard with my other devices. (Negative costs to run some of my devices is because I’m with Amber Electric)

3 Likes

Thanks I will go through my localtuya devices and do this - it’s a shame I can’t see a way to do this without recreating each device :frowning:

What is the relay_status entity achieving?

Yes, it is a royal pain having to totally re-create a device just because of a spelling mistake or to add an extra entity. I appreciate though that it makes the integration a whole lot easier to program.

For my PC191HA’s it contains values “on”, “off”, or “memory” - which i believe tell it whether to power-on in the on, or off state, or to remember whether it was last on or off. Again, something I don’t need - until one day I might :wink:

1 Like

Spotted some new (for Australia) Shelly products over at smarthome.com.au

Shelly PRO 4PM

2 Likes

With the Shelly PRO 4PM, would you use one of these in place of an IoTaWATT?

Depends on your preference for connection method. Direct wiring - Shelly PRO, current clamps - IotaWatt.

Also the IotaWatt can monitor more circuits, but has no local display or switches.

1 Like