Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Glad to hear it. I have a contractor writing up a Wiser quote for me.

Jason, are you referring to this: https://www.clipsal.com/products/smart-home-solutions/wiser-smart-home-solutions/connected-ac-fan-controller-zigbee-41ecsfwmz?tab-document-1=0&itemno=41ECSFWMZ-VW?

I run Z2M with SkyConnect dongle. Any info on whether it works or not with Z2M?

That is the one, I don’t use Z2M so can’t comment sorry

Clipsal Wiser for all three.

Yes swapped mine for Clipsal Wiser. More expensive but saves time on fixing the cheaper ones

I tried…

My fan is single speed (on/off) but the iconic is 3 speed. Are you using it with a multi-speed fan?

Hi Mark, I use a 2A wiser switch for the exhaust fan

https://www.clipsal.com/products/smart-home-solutions/wiser-smart-home-solutions/wiser-connected-smart-switch-zigbee-default-mode-2ax-240v-41e2pbswmz?tab-document-1=0&itemno=41E2PBSWMZ-VW

The fan controllers are for my ceiling fans

1 Like

I’m about half way through my install now. Have a bunch of switches, dimmers and just recently added an AC fan controller.

I’ve tested these across ZHA and Z2MQTT and have now settled on Z2MQTT for better compatibility. Note that for the AC fan controller you need to be on the ‘edge’ version of Z2MQTT until the converter is merged, which should be any day now.

Z2MQTT creates entities for the wiser options like LED button behaviour and ballast controls for dimmers which ZHA didn’t last I looked. You could control these tediously through ZHA toolkit though.

Another thing noteworthy is that I see many online comments about poor tactile feedback from the buttons but actually solved this easily - it happens when the clipsal iconic plate is over tightened to the wall, which causes it to bend slightly, then the button face doesn’t site flat against the plate. My buttons feel heaps nicer after loosening the ones that didn’t feel clicky and responsive.

Oh - one last thing. I got a few form a local wholesaler at trade price and they had old zigbee firmware (problematic as I don’t have a wiser hub). I’ve since got all my units from sparkydirect for close to trade pricing but all of their units had much more recent firmware, probably due to higher stock turnover.

Oh one other -very- nice thing is that you can use binds in Z2MQTT to link the wiser button actions either one or both ways directly. As in, it will still work if HA or Z2MQTT is down with no perceivable delay.

3 Likes

I installed one of these last week.

It works on Z2MQTT but you’ll need to switch to the edge version (super easy). until it’s merged in the base one, which should happen in next release early feb I’d say.

Only option that isn’t presented at the moment is the way the backlight fades out (useful for bedrooms). I managed to get mine set by configuring in BLE mode and switching to zigbee, but it likes to wipe the settings when you change modes.

see conversation here: [New device support]: Schneider Electric Wiser 40/300-Series Module AC Fan Controller · Issue #18620 · Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt · GitHub

Thanks for the tips. I use Z2M so that’s good to know.

I did hear that the Iconic face plates weren’t the best so I’m keeping my 2000 series faceplates and just replacing the mechanisms with push buttons. As they are mostly architrave plates I will have to use modules in junction boxes in the roof rather than the actual zigbee switch mechanisms.

Oh that’s a shame to lose the nice back button interactions that the zigbee mechs have. Also - there is A LOT of click and hold patterns for pairing, resetting etc. that coudl be very tedious without physical access to the mechs.

I really like the iconic face plates myself, they’re thin and the locking mechanism for mechs is much easier to use. Just don’t over tighten.

Giving that some thought, I would re-think either wiser or the placement in J boxes. If you need to use J boxes, you could save a tonne of money by using push buttons and something shelly-ish (zigbee equivalents?). Pretty sure iconic has architrave solutions but you’d need to carve out a pretty hefty space to fit any of the dimmer/10AX units.

That should still be possible using a remote push button and the Wiser modules.

I’ve looked. Wiser is the best option.

Not 4 switch versions.

fair enough.

Not sure how the remote solution you’re look at works but I’ve got a few control link mechs that connect in to the control terminal and they work fantastically for the 2-way behaviour etc. but they do not trigger hardware functions like pairing and reset. They also don’t trigger zigbee binded behaviours, so it’s not the same as remote access to the same momentary contact. You might have found a different way but just make sure you’ve got that sorted before investing so much.

Yeah there are no link modules. I’m going to use the existing two way traveller cabling and just put the push buttons in parallel.

Cool, I’d like to hear how that pans out. You could probably do the same with the LED too if you’re opening it up.

how was the zigbee rotary dial is that zigbee 3.0? I know it says neutral free but does it actually have the option to put neutral?

How was the oz smart one? did it work well with local tuya? i heard some issues with turning it off and updating the state or something?

So unfortunately I have taken all of mine out at this point.

They worked well, with the Zigbee version being 3.0 (off memory), but ultimately, the spouse liked the wiser push button mechs better, so I went with them. We have a small house anyway, so the cost wasn’t outrageous.

The only drawbacks to the rotary mechs were:

• They didn’t support transition time.
  • The OzSmartThings modules used a WBR2, which could not be converted to ESPHome at the time.

I actually have 3 of these in the cupboard gathering dust. If you wanted to try them, I’ll happily send them anywhere for 10 bucks each plus postage.

2 Likes

I’ve deployed a bunch of the Mercator Ikuu Zigbee products throughout my home recently and am very happy with the results.

They make drop-in replacements for a standard mech. No neutral wires needed.
You can fit up to 4 mechs on a a standard multi-gang switch plate. If you need more, you can get 5 and 6 gang switch plates.

e.g. Push-button rotary dimmer

Home Assistant integration is via this excellent fork of Local Tuya.
This fork provides support for zigbee sub-devices behind a hub and dual-control via the Tuya Smartlife app and locally via Home Assistant.

1 Like

Thought I’d found the holy grail of top down bottom up cellular blinds for Home Assistant. Norton Shades (who have an Aus distributor) recently released a hub compatible with Homekit so it could most likely use the Homekit Device integration.

Unfortunately it is limited to 15 devices per hub (can have multiple hubs though) and no middle rail control, scenes or groups for third party control. Only via their app.

Why are window covering manufacturers stuck in the dark ages?

There are so many open protocols they could use, mqtt, zigbee, zwave, thread/matter. But noooo it has to be a proprietary RF protocol.

I may still go ahead and just hack ESP32s into their RF remote controls. Easier than reverse engineering the RF protocol.

3 Likes