Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

That’s fantastic. Thank you so much for sharing. I wasted so much time trying (and failing) to get this running using my “Google it, then just copy and paste” Linux ‘skills’.

I’m really looking forward to using Windows for this.Thanks again.

1 Like

Not sure if others have tried Kogan Smart Plugs recently but it looks like the FW has been updated so unable to flash :frowning:

That’s why I like the Brilliant smart plugs from Officeworks… not sure why, but they’re still on super old firmware. I bought another yesterday and flashed OTA using tuya-convert without any issues.

1 Like

Yep, found that out a couple of weeks ago. Even using a serial connection to the chip won’t work.

Thanks sparkydave. I missed that part of the thread but have caught up now. Looks like it was supplied with the latest fw of 1.1.7. Might be a while before there is a workaround (if any).

Looking at the Tuya-Convert Git discussions I don’t think we will see a new release for a long time, if at all. The discussion seems to have died completely.

Yeah I thought that. Common problem:

Vendor makes basic security error.

Hackers use security error to make product into something useful, in doing so hacker has to publish exploit.

Vendor learns his lesson and prevents product being something useful by improving security.

Nice while it lasted.

1 Like

If I hadn’t have thrown out my fried Kogan v1 plugs I would have swapped the tuya chips over to my new v2 plugs… silly mistake, but I didn’t think they would have blocked direct connection flashing. Unless I’m doing something wrong

In some cases they are using new (non esp8266) chips.

great work!!! i have 4 of these fans. all are working well with tuya local but its just not the same. ill be very interested in your final results and would be willing to buy 4 of the boards from you.

Boards arrived today! I didn’t measure carefully so it doesn’t fit properly… but I hastily assembled everything and it works with ESPHome! Hopefully I can get it all into the original enclosure.

(New users can only post 1 image.)

4 Likes

With the recent tp-link HS100/HS110 debacle, I was trying to find something to find a new plug to try in the xmas holidays. It sounds like the state of tasmota for australian plugs is in pretty bad shape.

Can I just check if there’s anything being sold by a retail store (Bunnings, jb hifi, good guys, harvey norman etc) that is likely to work (even if I have to open it up and solder to it) ?

Bonus points if has the energy monitoring feature as well. Sound’s like all the arlec stuff from bunnings is out?

Thanks Dave, I’ll pick up a couple of the Brilliant 20676/05 this weekend and give them a shot in the next week and report back.

That’s some really amazing work dude. lol I wish you were around 6 months ago when I was planning my ceiling fans :stuck_out_tongue:

Interesting question, you said how rocking esphome on that bad boy… do you have HA recognising all 5 speeds? Or is esphome still limited to 3 speeds?

Cheers

Linton

Hi there,

I’m new to this. I have a bunch of bulbs and plugs that work on google assistant but now want to get to the next stage and get some wall light switch, some wall double power point and in-line switch for a extractor fan and a towel heater
for the light switches, I’m thinking going with Jinvoo.
Not sure about the power points
for the fan & heater: SONOFF TH16

Are these good options? and what would you suggest otherwise? (especially for powerpoints)
thanks for your help?

Apparently the 3 speed limit is due to Home Assistant, however someone’s posted a patch allowing them to be remapped: https://github.com/esphome/esphome/pull/1391

Oooo maybe soon :slight_smile: hopefully they’ll allow sort of custom number as that post referenced 4 speeds.

I have a similar fan that you are working on (https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-grid-connect-smart-4-blade-130cm-dc-ceiling-fan-with-remote_p0104210) . Has no light, but otherwise, 6 speeds smart wifi + remote.

The wifi module is slightly different to the one in your picture, however the daughter board looks identical. 9 pins.

I’d be very interested in one of those boards and some simple instructions if you have the time.