Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

In 7th form statistics we studied how long to give warranties given expected lifetime stats and the number you were prepared to pay out on inside the warranty period.

You do realise your consumer legislation probably gives a longer warranty.

Guys has anything changed in the availability of sub-circuit energy monitors with multiple CT inputs (like 6 and above). Some while ago the IoTaWatt US made unit was the best around, has that changed or a good competitor arrived ?

Hi all, are there many users of Clipsal Wiser switches here?
Iā€™ve been planning out the smartening or the lighting for our whole house and Iā€™m quite set on smart switches driving dumb dimmable lights.

We have a bunch of 3 way and 4 way lighting circuits and clipsal has the only solution that Iā€™ve found that allows to have a wired solution for multi-point control that will work regardless of connectivity etc. I love that these are zigbee and from what Iā€™ve read will work fine with my conbee II instead of needing the clipsal wiser hub. There was some comments a bit earlier about needing the hub to do firmware updates, which would be a worry. Does anyone know if wiser mechs can be updated using Z2MQTT?

I bought a few grid connect devices and got them working great on localtuya but Iā€™m not happy with the software solution for travelling light switches that way, plus the number of wifi devices Iā€™ll end up with.

I just discovered the existence of the Wiser Zigbee switches yesterday. I have a perfect candidate to test one on. The sole compatible Clipsal wall plate in my house is in my garage, so I could swap out my garage light switch for a Clipsal 41E2PBSWMZ-VW.

Theyā€™re pricey as, but I personally prefer paying more for peace of mind that thereā€™s decent hardware in my walls that isnā€™t going to spontaneously combust.

They should also fit in architrave plates (with a bit of persuasion). These are pretty much the only type of wall plate in my house. The only thing stopping me trying them is the ridiculous price.

They certainly are. I get trade pricing and even still itā€™s pretty eye watering pricing up the whole house but Iā€™m looking for a highly polished end result. Iā€™d be really interested to hear how you get on and if the zigbee firmware can be upgraded without the hub.

1 Like

Iā€™ve just ordered one, will see how it goes once it arrives. I wonder if my sparky has experience with them. Heā€™s coming by for something else on Thursday, so Iā€™ll ask him then.

I gave up on the Wiser zigbee devices as no they canā€™t be flashed without the Wiser hub, and they had a minor bug that I found annoying and needed a firmware update to fix. Scroll up to my posts from about 8-May-22.
e.g. Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware - #4194 by patfelst

1 Like

Yep, your post was the one I was referring to earlier - that sucks.
I wonder what firmware they are shipping with out of the box and if clipsal would warrant that functionality?

Hopefully thereā€™s a way to do the firmware update using Zigbee2MQTT at some point. Iā€™m looking at about $2800 to change all my old dingy light switches out with wiser. What did you change out to?

I may buy the hub if I have to, even if itā€™s just for Zigbee firmware updates.

1 Like

If I could use the hub and integrate it with HA and have local control, no worries. But a $300 bit of kit simply to update each device one by one would be painful. Iā€™ll look forward to your update and will keep making do with dumb lighting!

My house is still being built so I havenā€™t decided 100%. But I have bought enough Shelly wifi switches to do about 1/2 the house. Despite reading many Shelly success stories, Iā€™m still not confident how reliable these will be in terms of reliability and responsiveness. My preference is zigbee.

The iconic wisers are definitley well built, and yes maybe if you buy now they come with the updated firmware. I guess if youā€™re willing to spend $2800 on switches, another $370 for the hub might be worth it to do firmware upgrades.

Yes, good. point.

Iā€™m also thinking of it as a future-proofing exercise. If I fill the house with ESPHome/Tasmota/OpenBeken wall switches, then itā€™s not really going to work well for the next owner. If I can use Clipsal Zigbee, then itā€™s easy to adopt all of the switches across to the Clipsal hub, and Clipsalā€™s platform caters for the ability to hand over a system to a new owner by invitation link.

Iā€™m shying away from the Shellys because of the loss of visible switch state, or you then need to move over to momentary push-buttons like the ones that Clipsal makes.

Just an FYI: You donā€™t lose switch state with shelly, and you can also use toggle switches. You just need to adjust the settings in the Shelly web console or phone app.

Maybe ā€œlose stateā€ was the wrong wording. I just mean that you lose the visual confirmation that a switch is on or off, if that makes sense.

ok you mean the LED under the wiser switch button, yep got you now

No way iā€™d be paying the premium for Wiser gear.

Might be the only way if the firmware update is required and canā€™t be had any other way.

What alternative are there in aus if you want ZigBee, tactile buttons and hard wired hallway lighting (3 and 4 way)?

Appreciate the community here, so will keep it brief and hopefully helpful. Whatā€™s the consensus on fan controller hardware that ā€˜integratesā€™ with HA? Here are the unique (or not) circumstances.

1. Must control both fan and light (Fanaway LD-003-10) and have the control unit at the fan (not switch) because the fan is replacing a light and that light does not have existing wiring for fan control to switch.
  2. Must have redundancy in the app/control ecosystem. Meaning if HA packs a sad, it needs to have a native app (or similar) that someone can use until HA is happy again.
  3. Ideally native integration with HA.

I know this is heresy in some parts of the HA community, but I donā€™t have time to tinker with flashing chips or firmware upgrades. The system demands (read: family demands) something that just works. Convenience over local control (internet has not gone down in 10 years here).

Any AU/NZ hardware that would fit the bill?

I managed this using a cheap and nasty methodā€¦ but effective.
I got one of those HA supported IR controllers, and use that to control fan/light functions. Essentially you are mimicing the fan controller IR codes via HA. Works well, albeit a little clunky. Doesnt cost much to give it a tryā€¦ Since I had the controller and TV was sitting there tooā€¦ I can use HA to turn the TV on/off.

something to think aboutā€¦

1 Like