Broadlink Manager - Nicer way to Learn and Send IR/RF commands

To Everyone that experiencing the :

looking for devices…
Found device : Unknown [192.168.1.7]
Writing compatible device not detected!

You can skip that step and proceed with the service broadlink.learn to get the id codes,
Following that procedure hope it helps you.

1.After successfuly pairing with wifi network and the device has already a static IP enter the follow config on configuration.yaml or on your switch.yaml whatever you have:

- platform: broadlink
    mac: "xx:f7:42:xx:0e:xx"
    host: xxx.xx.x.x

2.Make refresh the data and restart HA

3.Go to service and search for broadlink.learn, define your host: xxx.xx.x.x and call service.

4.After successful device call you can see on device the white indicator then you can put near the ir device and press the button you want to learn 3 seconds after that you will get the key on home assistant sidebar, notifications.

You can check the following Video after 5:34 min
to see step by step the manual(home assistant) procedure

Nice instructions. But it doesn’t work.
What is OK:

• IP assigned
  • ping on IP ok
  • Android app “Broadlink” functional, learning ok, sending codes ok.
  • I see broadlink.learn service in HA

BUT …

What is NOT ok:

• Broadlink manager message “Writing compatible device not detected!”
  • When i fire broadlink.learn service in HA white LED still dark
  • No code received, only “No signal was received” in states list & HA log file

So i still unable to learn codes, Broadlink crashed, HA crashed…

Do you have any protection on your computer like antivirus firewall?
did you set static ip from your router on the IR Controller as the video describe?
its weird because if you can see the learn code and put the right host name you must get the codes…
i suppose you make restart the HA after that config right?
With that exact steps mine worked, i think you have connection problem between HA and Broadlink you can check the log file to see for details

Does this work with iTach WF2IR?

Hi all,

thank you very much for this marvelous program. I downloaded Broadlink Manager started with the instructions made by Dr.Zzs and the IR for my TV is working perfectly.
Sadly the same thing cannot be said for the RF learning. No matter how hard I tried and read through the how-to’s I failed to get an RF signal to be learned. Even tried the E-Control app and the RM plugin lite like suggested in the before mentioned video by Dr.Zzs it failed to turn on the signal that was converted to Base64.
Broadlink Manager got stuck at the point of “Hold the button down!”
Same picture on my RM2 pro plus 3:

Hope that Tomer_Klein didn’t gave up on developing this. :slight_smile:

Thank you in advance for all your efforts, Tom!!!

@bigboban and @zbeez

As you can see the broadlink manager also for IR has many communication problems, you can use instead much more faster and better tools to auto learn your device, you can use this custom compoment,
With that my problems solved and i have a very good AC control

SmartIR - Control your Climate, TV and Fan devices via IR/RF controllers

Hi chris1989,

thank you for the advice. Unfortunately Broadlink Manager is working flawlessly with the IR integration and everything I need through IR is already working.
My point here is that I really need RF. Since I have several RF power plugs that are working with IHC and through Google Home but I can’t integrate the signal in HA.
Most of the RF power plugs are really far away (in fact there are 18 plugs all together) and I couldn’t find a better solution for “smart” Home control with such a low price tag.
Thatswhy I’m looking forward to have the RF-signals also working in HA.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Hello,

It’s not working with RM3.

If you really want to use RM3 Mini with Home Assistant, you can use this temporary/tricky solution :

This was by far the best and most reliable way to get the IR/FR codes for my devices, thanks a lot!

I could not start the app under macOS with wine or mono but with VirtualBox and network bridge it was no problem.

I am returning to this thread (my last post was May 2019) to say i STILL have this exact problem and for the life of me cannot learn the RF commands.

Learning the IR commands works!

Learning RF I have the same problem described above.

I tried everything in this thread with no success. I have a VALOR 315MHz remote i am trying to learn the RF for.

Although, user @cben0ist managed somehow to learn the RF command for the same remote in this thread here.

I dont know if the exact model has anything to do with it, but i will include it here anyway…

1 Like

@Phillip I have one of the broadlink devices that doesn’t learn RF with this app. I was able to get the codes in using the method outlined here: https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/broadlink/#using-e-control-remotes
It is not hard, but involves installing and running a python program. Worked well though. Although I really do want to use this app, or better yet have it be fixed in HA to use that.

Also note that some of the broadlink devices don’t work with 315mhz. I ordered one on amazon and it didn’t work with my pool light remote. I found one on ebay that explicitly worked with 315mhz and it worked right away.

Thanks for your help!

The problem is that also the e-control app hands on the scanning frequencies part, so i am not able to learn them in the first place :frowning:

I see… but the manual says thet it should work in the 305-340MHz range… so i dont know!

I am also finding something similar I have a RM4 Pro.
Using python-broadlink
Connected to the network and appears to be talking to it

• devices[0].auth() > True
  • devices[0].host[0] > ‘192.168.1.172’
    Cant get the type (so this may be a concern or compatibility issue)
  • devices[0].get_type() > ‘Unknown’
  • devices[0].enter_learning() > AttributeError: device instance has no attribute ‘enter_learning’

Broadlink Manager > “Writing compatible device not detected!”

Home Assistant 0.109.0b5 (Using as Remote)

• Shows in the Overview as Remote
  • Service Call : remote.learn_command
    –entity_id: remote.broadlink
    –device: Samsung
    –command: On
    –alternative: true
    –timeout: 15
    – ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.broadlink.remote] Failed to learn ‘On/Samsung’: no signal received

Broadlink App - I can add devices and control them no problem at all

I can’t help but think possibly the RM4 Pro isn’t supported

2 Likes

I’m sorry but I am really surprised with something. I thought that wireless keyboard, the ones that have a little usb dongle, and you plug it in the computer, were using IR, or RF signals to send the information. I am trying right now 2 different keyboards, and they are not sending the command to Broadlink Manager.

I mean, I put the Broadlink manager into “learn new command” state, and as much as I press keys on the wireless keyboard, nothing happens!

Of course, doing the same with a TV remote works great.

What it is in the technology that makes it different?

Thanks…

Most wireless keyboards I know use RF (radio) technology not IR. I guess you can look that up in the specs for the keyboard.

Lots of people are reporting issues with RF using this tool, just scroll up :slight_smile:

Hi @Tomer_Klein, have you suceeded in RF learning? thanks

I’m quite sure it’s Bluetooth based.
Bluetooth transmits at 2.4 GHz and RF is at 433 MHz.
There is no way you can make that work

I’m having the exact same issue with a RM4mini… let me know if you figure it out!

@NKH I ended up getting the IR side working ok using home assistant. Although never had any luck with the RF (which I don’t believe the RM4mini has, so I assume your issue is IR).

With regard to RF I have been testing and working with some of the devs (not sure how much help I was :slight_smile: ). I think a fix is there but they are waiting to build it into a release with other stuff. As soon as I hear will post something.

Key things I didn’t do

• Be 100% sure there is no cloud connection
  • In the switch configuration, I had to include type: rm4_pro
  • Couldn’t get the sensor configuration working but appears I need a HTS2 cable, which I didn’t have :slight_smile: :laughing:

My process on the IR side which is now working fine was

Current Setup
Home Assistant 0.109.3
Broadlink RM4 Pro

Remove from any cloud connection

• Delete the Remote device from Broadlink App
  • Press and hold reset for >10sec for AP mode (few quick blinks pause few quick blinks)

Added to network using python-broadlink

• import broadlink
  • broadlink.setup(‘myssid’, ‘mynetworkpass’, 3)
    Checking comms with device
  • devices[0].host[0] > ‘IPADDRESS’ - PASS
  • devices[0].enter_learning() > AttributeError: device instance has no attribute ‘enter_learning’ - FAIL (Never did have any joy here)

Under Home assistant added as switch - configuration.yaml
NB: despite the notes suggesting the type was optional mine wouldn’t learn until I added “type: rm4_pro” or I guess in your case rm4mini

Configuration.yaml
switch:
platform: broadlink
host: IPAddress
mac: 24:df:a7:b9:c0:5a
type: rm4_pro
timeout: 15
retry: 5

I was then able to capture the IR sequences by
From Home assistant > developer-tools > service > broadlink.learn host: IPAddress

• The led on RM4 Pro would light up red
  • Press the remote button that I wished to capture
  • Wait for led to go off and capture sequence from the notification
  • Added into my configuration.yaml like below

switch:
platform: broadlink
host: IPAddress
mac: 24:df:a7:b9:c0:5a
type: rm4_pro
timeout: 15
retry: 5
switches: