Energy Management in Home Assistant

Turned out it was caused by Shelly EM3. After restar sometimes it will be unavailable and because of that calculation that sums three phases will be 0 for a brief moment and then back to where it really was. Trick was to add availability_template to the template sensor. More here: Shelly 3EM 3-phases Energy sensor - #56 by arva

But now i need to delete those spikes and I don’t know where.

EDIT: Here is a solution how you can delete from the DB: Energy Management in Home Assistant - #455 by markss

4 Likes

Thanks for sharing the instructions!

My issue was that Shelly EM was unavailable few times after restarts and template sensor that sums up three phases went to 0 and theb back to real value.

When i investigated database with SQLite Web I saw the problem with some 0 rows and sum lines that were affected. I deleted the 0 rows and corrected the SUM values with UPDATE. Now everything in DB looks good, but Energy Dashboard still shows the wrong numbers.

Any ideas, where the Energy Management gets the (wrong) data?

EDIT: If anyone is using HA in a Docker stack, SQLite Web works neatly with Docker Compose:

sqliteweb:
    image: tomdesinto/sqliteweb
    ports:
      - 8089:8080
    volumes:
    - ${USERDIR}/docker/homeassistant/home-assistant_v2.db:/db/home-assistant_v2.db
    command: home-assistant_v2.db    
3 Likes

I have posted a new topic in community forum to suggest to add Water Heating as new source/consumption of energy on the top of Grid, Solar and Gas, for those who are connected to district heating or have solar water panel.
I am not speaking about water consumption…
see Add Water Heating as source of Energy

Cheers

1 Like

Hi such a problem and I can not find a solution
database - mariadb.
1.After restart, HA added the entire value of the entity to me, not just the measured hour. How to avoid it, is there a way?
2. Is it possible to remove this result from the database so as not to disturb the whole?

There is a nice topic about this.

1 Like

Hello,
I am struggling to monitor energy in KWh from Tuya wifi plug with energy monitor.

Home Assistant recognize the value of the plug without problem:

tuya switch

So I created this sensor to convert the value of “Power (W)” in KWh:

- platform: integration
  source: sensor.fridge_power
  name: KWh Fridge
  unit_prefix: k
  unit_time: h
  round: 2

Then I personalized the entity adding two custom field: state_class and last_reset.

In the developers tools it looks like this:

state_class: measurement
source: sensor.frigo_power
unit_of_measurement: kWh
friendly_name: KWh Fridge
icon: mdi:chart-histogram
device_class: energy
last_reset: '2000-01-01T00:00:00'

The problem is that I saw the entity in “Energy Monitor” on Home Assistant but with wrong value because it shows me a daily consumption of 3 KWh instead on Smart Life app I saw a daily consumption of 0.54 KWh.

I tried to convert by myself the value of the watt in kwh and HA is 100% wrong. Even if I add “method: left” or “method: right” nothing changed.

What am I doing wrong ?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Hi,

Anyone can help me build a dynamic price entity ?

Per invoicing period, first 40kWh * days (For example 62 days @ 40kWh = 2480kWh), the price is .06159$.
Remaining kWh are .09502$

And I have a “grid fee” of .41168$ per day

Anyone can help ? (This is Hydro-Quebec by the way)

Thanks !

I hope that i have understand this, but who can explain me, where i can configure this? I mean maybe the chnage from KWh to kWh.

If it isn’t defined in anything you have setup then you can use CONFIGURATION>>CUSTOMIZATION

Let’s see if anyone can understand what I wish for here :slight_smile:

In the energy management, I get my data partly from a pulse reader, attached to my electricity meter that the electricity company uses for billing me. And partly from individual devices, connected to smart plugs.

I really like the visualisation with the bars, showing how much has been consumed per hour/day/week etc.

However, I want the bars to concist of what’s been consumed TOTALLY (read from my energy meter) and how much of these bars have been consumed by individual devices. If i add individual devices as “Grid consumption”, sure enough they show up, but they make the totally consumed energy statistics wrong. Since they are already being accounted for in the reading from my electricity meter, they don’t need to be “added to the bar” again as extra consumption. I only want the bar to be broken down. For example "Hour x, total consumption from electricity meter: 10kWh

These 10kWh concists of 1kWh from freezer, 1kWh from cooler, 1kWh from dishwasher, 7kWh from googling HA energy setup".

In this way, it will be way more graphical and intuitive too see what’s been pulling electricity and when.
The consumption of individual devices that are shown under “Sources” does not provide a good graphical visualization and makes it harder to see how much a given device has “contributed” to the total consumption. If the bars could include how much an individual device has “contributed” to it, it would be way better.

I try to add a picture, perhaps some good soul will understand what i’m trying to say :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Don’t add your household devices to grid consumption, add them as individual devices.

Thank you for your reply. I do have the devices added individually, but their consumption does not show up graphically on the bars. Would be a really helpful functionality if it did. Perhaps it can be solved?

Looks like you added your devices to the grid section instead of the devices section.

1 Like

As I’m just a beginner in this area. I wonder if I could add entities which come from my e3dc System. I get the values out of a Modbus integration in my configutation.yaml. Is there a solution for that?

Entities look like sensor.e3dc_xxx

• name: e3dc
    type: tcp
    host: 192.168.1.159
    port: 502
    sensors:
    • name: E3DC Solar Hausdach
      unit_of_measurement: W
      address: 40067
      slave: 1
      device_class: power
    • name: E3DC Batterie
      address: 40069
    • name: E3DC Wallbox
      address: 40077
    • name: E3DC Hausbezug
      address: 40071
    • name: E3DC Netzbezug
      address: 40073
    • name: E3DC Solar extern Garage
      address: 40075
    • name: E3DC Wallbox solar
      address: 40079
    • name: E3DC Autarkie
      data_type: uint
      address: 40081
    • name: E3DC Batterie Ladung
      address: 40082
    • name: E3DC emergency power state
      address: 40083
    • name: E3DC_emergency_state
      address: 40084
    • name: E3DC_Leistungsmesser-L1
      address: 40105
    • name: E3DC_Leistungsmesser-L2
      address: 40106
    • name: E3DC_Leistungsmesser-L3
      address: 40107

@fete are you after something like this?

8 Likes

Any chance we can get the energy dashboard to monitor the consumption of oil use by my oil burning furnace?

This is what I’m after too.
I have a Shelly EM and I am now using it to track my heat pump electricity consumption.

I would like to split my energy dashboard bar chart between household use and heat pump use.
Other than creating a custom Grafana chart, I can’t see any other way to do this at the minute.

It should be something easy for HA to add in though as you could just select a tick box when adding a meter to grid consumption to ‘not add consumption to overall’
It would also be great if we could show this as a separate icon like the solar production on the little graphic.

3 Likes

Hi
I am using a sonoff pow to measure my solar pannel energy generation, but can not see it in the energy drop button, I am using this code, to make it apear, but when I set the state class: I got an error in the Yam file until I errase it. this is my code any Ideas?

sensor:

• platform: template
    sensors:
    today_solar_energy_generation:
    friendly_name: “today_solar_energy_generation”
    device_class: energy
    state_class: total_increasing
    last_reset: ‘1970-01-01T00:00:00.000000+00:00’
    unit_of_measurement: kWh
    value_template: “{{ state_attr(‘switch.sonoff_10011050fb’, ‘consumption’)[0] }}”

Show us what this produces.

Hi,
it produces an error:

Error loading /config/configuration.yaml: while scanning a simple key
in “/config/configuration.yaml”, line 197, column 7
could not find expected ‘:’
in “/config/configuration.yaml”, line 198, column 7