MQTT ESPHome/ESP32 Alarm Keypad with Screen

This is my MQTT ESPHome based Alarm Keypad for Home Assistant, now with screen :slight_smile: See below for the original version.

This comes with a blueprint to automate the alarm panel connection including feeding the display with the alarm state.

Top two LEDs appear as buttons, the bottom 2 LEDs appear as lights. These are controlled by the automation for feedback.

Thing:

ESPHome File:

HASS Blueprint:
Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

More Pics:

Original Version

Here is my attempt :slight_smile: works as I want it to, written a little controller software for the esp32, communicates with HASS by MQTT and that’s it :slight_smile: HASS verifies the alarm codes, this is simply a controller. Works with the Alarmo integration perfectly!

Orignal Demo Video: https://youtu.be/KX8sle-yERo
Orignal Thing: Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects
Orignal Code: GitHub - TheHolyRoger/ESP32-MQTT-AlarmKeypad: Home Assistant Alarm keypad using ESP32 & MQTT.

2 Likes

Are you just bragging or are you really going to share the project? :wink:

:laughing:

An interesting project. Can you share, I would like to apply it at home?

@finity @pepe59 Haha sorry! I will push the code to github later and edit the main message, wasn’t sure if anyone wanted it or not :smiley:

Initial 3d print from video is here: Login Pad by assin - Thingiverse

My modified keypad case I also haven’t uploaded anywhere, will upload it when I get the results if it’s good enough!

ESP32 cases I like (until I move it inside the new keypad case):

Generic 4x4 keypad, pihut link: 4x4 Matrix Keypad– The Pi Hut

LEDs, solder :slight_smile:

github link coming soon

1 Like

@finity @pepe59 GitHub - TheHolyRoger/ESP32-MQTT-AlarmKeypad: Home Assistant Alarm keypad using ESP32 & MQTT. here you go :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll look into it and order parts.

I’m still waiting for my “thing” to be verified, but if you wanna take a look at the other design I’ve ordered to be printed here’s the STL files:

https://thingiverse-production-new.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/d4/3b/ed/c9/b0/case-bottom-v3.stl?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ4LU5KWCMM7WB7YA&Expires=1652979781&Signature=roopmI%2BCKaWxwJe3N26t6cJNamI%3D

https://thingiverse-production-new.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/b9/57/c3/90/52/case-top-v3.stl?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ4LU5KWCMM7WB7YA&Expires=1652979781&Signature=lWxvdk7TtNsiDLqi0RZPxu1NxyI%3D

@finity

I think the links expire soon though.

If anyone else is a better 3d modeller would love to see a better version :smiley:

both links have already expired.

I just literally started getting into 3d modeling/printing.

So recently in fact that my printer isn’t arriving until tomorrow. The one I wanted was so hard to find I started trying to order it over a month ago now and Amazon kept extending the delivery date until I just gave up and ordered it directly from the manufacturer.

I have a couple of models that I’m going to print with it already tho after a few break-in models are successful. :laughing:

What software do you use?

Ah here you go try this one Filebin | w9vew9ux7d5ml79d

I don’t have a printer, I’ve been eyeing an ender v2 for a while though :smiley: I use treatstock to print at the moment.

Blender seems to work best for me so far although it’s not really one for precision tools, i find myself doing extra processes to try and do things with precise measurements, but I don’t know the software well either :smiley:

I’ve got an Ender 3 S1 pro hopefully showing up tomorrow.

For my 3D modeling I’ve tried Tinkercad which is good for fairly basic shapes but I have been using Onshape (free online software) the last week or so and I’m slowly getting the hang of it.

You convinced me to get an Ender :slight_smile: waiting for mine to come still but I tweaked the design:

My print arrived for the other version but it wasn’t great and now all the pins have snapped off :slight_smile:

This new version should allow for the esp32 to sit above the usb socket (I hope) - on UK amazon I’m using these:

And this was the smallest right angle cable I could find pointing the right way which I’ve now chopped and attached a dupont connector to:

Hopefully I can get it all together later this week and post some pics

1 Like

I got mine a few days ago and I’m trying to get the hang of it. I haven’t had time to really print anything other than test prints so far. (there is a cute cat test print that my wife loves - so :+1: so far on that! :laughing:)

One thing I’ve learned in my research is to try to strengthen the pins by using fillets at the attachment points instead of sharp angles.

That was very helpful actually :grin: thanks for that tip

My first couple of prints came out alright but I hadn’t aligned everything quite right :grin: bloody blender…

Should have the next versions printed in a couple days but here’s pics of how these ended up

Ok I think this might be the final version: Home Assistant ESP32 Alarm Keypad by TheHolyRoger - Thingiverse

Waiting for the last parts to print before I assemble it all :slight_smile:

I added pins and a flap/plate with a screw hole to secure the keypad while allowing you to remove it. I made the pins in a way that you should be able to heat and squish them down flat to fix it in place permanently, although I recommend waiting to do that until you’re happy with the keypad itself since I’ve had one die on me

Edit: pics of how the top fits together

1 Like

Here it is finally ready @finity @pepe59 ESP32 alarm keypad fully assembled video - YouTube

I updated the thing with a bunch of images and info etc on how to build/assemble :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve been reworking this project using esphome instead of my own code and also added a screen :slight_smile:

Will upload esphome code and latest STL files soon if anyone’s interested

Here’s the assembled upgraded version :slight_smile: still MQTT based but using esphome this time.

The code is just an esphome file which should be easy to configure, I’ve made vars for all the config. Then there’s a hass blueprint with three simple parameters to automate the keypad with your alarm control panel (I’m using alarmo)

I’m still testing it out so I’ll upload both the esphome file and blueprint later

2 Likes

@finity get involved sir

?? :man_shrugging:

I like the look of it and it seems you’ve come a ways with your design.

But at the moment I’m swamped with other stuff and don’t really have time (or the need) to build an alarm panel.

I’ve got this bookmarked so if I need it I’ll definitely try it.

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile:

1 Like