MQTT ESPHome/ESP32 Alarm Keypad with Screen

This is my MQTT ESPHome based Alarm Keypad for Home Assistant, now with screen :slight_smile: See below for the original version.

This comes with a blueprint to automate the alarm panel connection including feeding the display with the alarm state.

Top two LEDs appear as buttons, the bottom 2 LEDs appear as lights. These are controlled by the automation for feedback.

Thing:

ESPHome File:

HASS Blueprint:
Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

More Pics:

Original Version

Here is my attempt :slight_smile: works as I want it to, written a little controller software for the esp32, communicates with HASS by MQTT and thatā€™s it :slight_smile: HASS verifies the alarm codes, this is simply a controller. Works with the Alarmo integration perfectly!

Orignal Demo Video: https://youtu.be/KX8sle-yERo
Orignal Thing: Thingiverse - Digital Designs for Physical Objects
Orignal Code: GitHub - TheHolyRoger/ESP32-MQTT-AlarmKeypad: Home Assistant Alarm keypad using ESP32 & MQTT.

2 Likes

Are you just bragging or are you really going to share the project? :wink:

:laughing:

An interesting project. Can you share, I would like to apply it at home?

@finity @pepe59 Haha sorry! I will push the code to github later and edit the main message, wasnā€™t sure if anyone wanted it or not :smiley:

Initial 3d print from video is here: Login Pad by assin - Thingiverse

My modified keypad case I also havenā€™t uploaded anywhere, will upload it when I get the results if itā€™s good enough!

ESP32 cases I like (until I move it inside the new keypad case):

Generic 4x4 keypad, pihut link: 4x4 Matrix Keypadā€“ The Pi Hut

LEDs, solder :slight_smile:

github link coming soon

1 Like

@finity @pepe59 GitHub - TheHolyRoger/ESP32-MQTT-AlarmKeypad: Home Assistant Alarm keypad using ESP32 & MQTT. here you go :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks. Iā€™ll look into it and order parts.

Iā€™m still waiting for my ā€œthingā€ to be verified, but if you wanna take a look at the other design Iā€™ve ordered to be printed hereā€™s the STL files:

https://thingiverse-production-new.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/d4/3b/ed/c9/b0/case-bottom-v3.stl?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ4LU5KWCMM7WB7YA&Expires=1652979781&Signature=roopmI%2BCKaWxwJe3N26t6cJNamI%3D

https://thingiverse-production-new.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/b9/57/c3/90/52/case-top-v3.stl?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJ4LU5KWCMM7WB7YA&Expires=1652979781&Signature=lWxvdk7TtNsiDLqi0RZPxu1NxyI%3D

@finity

I think the links expire soon though.

If anyone else is a better 3d modeller would love to see a better version :smiley:

both links have already expired.

I just literally started getting into 3d modeling/printing.

So recently in fact that my printer isnā€™t arriving until tomorrow. The one I wanted was so hard to find I started trying to order it over a month ago now and Amazon kept extending the delivery date until I just gave up and ordered it directly from the manufacturer.

I have a couple of models that Iā€™m going to print with it already tho after a few break-in models are successful. :laughing:

What software do you use?

Ah here you go try this one Filebin | w9vew9ux7d5ml79d

I donā€™t have a printer, Iā€™ve been eyeing an ender v2 for a while though :smiley: I use treatstock to print at the moment.

Blender seems to work best for me so far although itā€™s not really one for precision tools, i find myself doing extra processes to try and do things with precise measurements, but I donā€™t know the software well either :smiley:

Iā€™ve got an Ender 3 S1 pro hopefully showing up tomorrow.

For my 3D modeling Iā€™ve tried Tinkercad which is good for fairly basic shapes but I have been using Onshape (free online software) the last week or so and Iā€™m slowly getting the hang of it.

You convinced me to get an Ender :slight_smile: waiting for mine to come still but I tweaked the design:

My print arrived for the other version but it wasnā€™t great and now all the pins have snapped off :slight_smile:

This new version should allow for the esp32 to sit above the usb socket (I hope) - on UK amazon Iā€™m using these:

And this was the smallest right angle cable I could find pointing the right way which Iā€™ve now chopped and attached a dupont connector to:

Hopefully I can get it all together later this week and post some pics

1 Like

I got mine a few days ago and Iā€™m trying to get the hang of it. I havenā€™t had time to really print anything other than test prints so far. (there is a cute cat test print that my wife loves - so :+1: so far on that! :laughing:)

One thing Iā€™ve learned in my research is to try to strengthen the pins by using fillets at the attachment points instead of sharp angles.

That was very helpful actually :grin: thanks for that tip

My first couple of prints came out alright but I hadnā€™t aligned everything quite right :grin: bloody blenderā€¦

Should have the next versions printed in a couple days but hereā€™s pics of how these ended up

Ok I think this might be the final version: Home Assistant ESP32 Alarm Keypad by TheHolyRoger - Thingiverse

Waiting for the last parts to print before I assemble it all :slight_smile:

I added pins and a flap/plate with a screw hole to secure the keypad while allowing you to remove it. I made the pins in a way that you should be able to heat and squish them down flat to fix it in place permanently, although I recommend waiting to do that until youā€™re happy with the keypad itself since Iā€™ve had one die on me

Edit: pics of how the top fits together

1 Like

Here it is finally ready @finity @pepe59 ESP32 alarm keypad fully assembled video - YouTube

I updated the thing with a bunch of images and info etc on how to build/assemble :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™ve been reworking this project using esphome instead of my own code and also added a screen :slight_smile:

Will upload esphome code and latest STL files soon if anyoneā€™s interested

Hereā€™s the assembled upgraded version :slight_smile: still MQTT based but using esphome this time.

The code is just an esphome file which should be easy to configure, Iā€™ve made vars for all the config. Then thereā€™s a hass blueprint with three simple parameters to automate the keypad with your alarm control panel (Iā€™m using alarmo)

Iā€™m still testing it out so Iā€™ll upload both the esphome file and blueprint later

2 Likes

@finity get involved sir

?? :man_shrugging:

I like the look of it and it seems youā€™ve come a ways with your design.

But at the moment Iā€™m swamped with other stuff and donā€™t really have time (or the need) to build an alarm panel.

Iā€™ve got this bookmarked so if I need it Iā€™ll definitely try it.

1 Like

No worries :slight_smile:

1 Like