Google Assistant Setup Issue - "Could not update the setting. Please check your connection"

Did you make sure simulation/test is enabled?

Also I had a diary note mine was supposed to timeout a few days ago but still going strong…

Yes, testing is still enabled.
Going back to a snapshot with version 0.89 fixed the issue…

got it to work?

Still does not work, working on version 0.89

I finally got it to sync the first time on 0.94.3 because I changed the fulfillment url. I missed the /api/google_assistant when I was copying/pasting. I had to redeploy my draft and then I stopped getting the BACKEND_FAILURE on the action log.

https://[YOUR HOME ASSISTANT URL:PORT]/api/google_assistant

Hello, for me the issue was invalid certificate on my hass server. I used self-signed certificate and also tried certificate from my private CA but that would not work either. I had to create publicly trusted certificate (I used SSLforfree) with correct name which I use in the Google Assistant Link.
Obviously it could be other problem in your case but the symptoms are the same. Vita

After logging in to the hassio dashboard through google home it say linking and then I get the “couldn’t update setting, check your connection” error.

Using Hassio (now 0.97.2) in combination with duckdns add on to generate ssl certificate.

Tried:

• different phone
  • different browser (chrome --> firefox)
  • from Wifi and 4g
  • setting up the whole google action/console 5 times
  • wait a month

Not sure what else I can do.

Best to limit your devices (exposed) to just one , just for testing, expose for instance 1 light… See if it can link…
Then you know everything is setup like it should

Make sure the simulation is enabled on the Google Console side.

@pergola.fabio Thanks for the suggestion. I have tried exposing ‘-switch’ (I have only one switch) but this doesn’t resolve the problem.

Then I tried ‘expose_by_default: false’ which should lead to no exposure to google home if I understand correctly. This also does not help.

@DavidFW1960 I definetely enable simulation. I just updated the version under the simulation tab and it showed a popup screen ‘enabling testing’.

Tomorrow I will setup a whole new HA on a separate SD card and add duckdns and google_assistant first and see if that will help.

A bit later than intended, but I set up a whole new Hassio system. The first thing I did was setting up the duckdns addon on. Then moving to the google assistant, but unfortunatelly still getting the same error.

Now on Hassio version 0.99.3

Config looks like:

google_assistant:
project_id: XX
api_key: XX
expose_by_default: false

Any ideas anyone?

Hey @Revaes,

Here is a step by step guide that worked for me:

And be sure that you have correct URL with /api/google_assistant in the Actions Console > Develop > Fullfilment URL.

Example ‘Add fulfilment URL’
https://xxxxx.duckdns.org:8123/api/google_assistant

This is what helped me.

P.S.: Some also say that changing default browser when connecting to HASS did the trick and also to remove exposed_by_default and exposed_domains from configuration.yaml.

Good luck.

I am on 0.100.2 - and while I have always been able to fix this issue in past (usually something simple I overlook) - this time I am well and truly stumped.

I have tried every suggestion that I have seen, save re-creating the whole Google API setup from scratch. Nothing works to get the assistant integrated again…

I authenticate against HASS,and just get the helpful “could not update the setting” error, with no google-related errors in the logs. I do see the token established against my Profile within HASS (if I use my own credentials).

I have fixed up this following issue of setup.I am another co related query to bring to your notice that I am unable to connect my Arlo Ultra with the google assistant in my Hp laptop.I have configured my settings and manuals and followed out all the systems as guided by arlo security camera review.Please suggest what to do to proceed.

Amazing. Tring this setup for a very long time without success and get it working first time with your Tuto. Thank you so much.

Hi Matt, sounds like the same issue i am having. Did you manage to get it working? I am able to access via https. When adding the test service in Google assistant I get redirected to my hassio, sign in, but then get the google “could not update” error.

Hi - I ended up recreating everything, even the API in Google, and it still didn’t work.

A problem I had in isolating the cause, was that, toward the end of my troubleshooting, two other problems joined the mix (certs expired, and my server weirdly stopped accepting external traffic, which a reboot fixed).

Once I fixed the certs and rebooted the server, then it started working - so I can’t say what was initially wrong with the HA config, sorry. Although I do believe that stripping out all Google Assistant config to the minimum is an important early step.

Those would be main causes of the assistant setup not working :wink:

Well they were the cause of everything breaking - but that was a week after my Google Assistant config stopped syncing…

Before that, I never found out what was wrong. By the time I made the corrective step, everything else had broken for bigger reasons. Absolute clusterf***

I dealt with this for a while before I thought about the “check your connection message” and saw hints on the GitHub issue about IP versions.

For anyone else having this problem:

My HA instance was behind Cloudflare and NGINX. Turning off proxying in Cloudflare but still using NGINX finally allowed it to work.

3 Likes