Grouping Automations on frontend for organization

I apologize in advance for the poor text. He was translated by Google…
I think that the current view of the list of automations is quite convenient, except for some problems. The biggest problem is finding and structuring automations. The developers have already added several features to filter automations by spaces, devices, and objects. This helps to some extent but is still not universal and creates confusion when looking for the right automations. Why is that? It seems to me because everyone creates and groups automations according to their own logic. I think in this case the best solution would be to simply add a TAG field to the automation edit page. You can add as many tags as you want to the field, for example - #gps, #telegram, #phones. And already during the search, it will be possible to set the search for one or more tags. In the future, you can improve this functionality by adding a different line color for each tag or a picture, etc.

I was looking in my automation for one automation, spent on this few minutes to find it so I though about some grouping option and I am here.

Please consider some option to group automation it will help a lot.

1 Like

i would love to have something like this, i actually came to this forum to ask for this feature:)

This is awesome… I am very surprised more people arent talking about this!

I think this is a good idea overall, but treats the symptom rather than the issues.

If we make good use of triggers/trigger_ids, we can reduce the sheer number of automations and keep things more tidy in the first place.

hence the idea: Use trigger IDs by default in automations - #3 by richard.wonka

Here’s a related, but slightly different angle:

Use trigger IDs by default in automations - Feature Requests - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Maybe June will be the month of grouping automations :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

+1 for this

This thread started in 2019.
What year is it??? (add jumanji meme here).

Whats the official process that announces if a Feature request gets implemented? Shouldn’t there be a Moment where the developer teams says “great, we will do that”?
Or they close the thread and say “sorry guys, wont do that for sure”.

Or is it simply waiting and hoping for it?
My automation section looks like a five year old named his 100 Lego figures based on their looks.

Don’t tell me about which naming convention makes the most sense. We need grouping /Tagging.
Or as my scrum Master would say “stop talking, give me a Implementation date”.

1 Like

I think that i’ve read somewhere that old requests are “ignored” from developer’s eyes after a while (one year?), so i think that this FR is long gone and we’re shooting blanks here…

but it would be really interesting to know why this FR is ignored so long…?

Not sure where you got that but that’s not true. The storage feature was long requested and introduced this month. A link to a draft PR to add this organization feature was also linked up earlier in this convo

Cross my fingers that you’re right… (i believe that it was once written by one of moderators…)

Where? Couldnt find it

IMHO this feature would be best implemented using generalized category-tags and filtering search:

1. Add possibility to assign any number of category tags to any entity, such as “water meters” and “hot water”
  2. Use filtering search to select a subset of selected tag(s) (similar to “Filter by area” but for categories)
  3. These tags could also be used in for example, conversations (“How many entities there are with tag water meters?”)

There’s already at least one feature request for such tagging, but with no votes:

Please vote for such requests.

Unfortunately, it’s sorta true.

This feature request was considered implemented in HA 2021.4. See Github discussion where @frenck made that clear.

Again, I think the best way forward might be to create a new feature request and get it on the maintainers radar.

and yet frenck has been working on something additional to suite this need: Add label support by frenck · Pull Request #69996 · home-assistant/core · GitHub like I’ve said multiple times now

Creating a new feature request will just get closed as duplicate (as it should).

Pretty sure it is on their radar. It has been mentioned in one of the release streams that they know, but have not found a good way to implement yet (or something along those lines). At least that is how I understood it.

1 Like

Yes it will get closed. @sorenlouv

1 Like

So the way I’ve been getting around this is to have convoluted automations with multiple triggers.

Trigger when where’s motion in the kitchen, trigger when there’s no motion in the kitchen for a while.

Trigger when the garage door is open, trigger when the garage door has been closed for 30 minutes.

In all cases, I set a Trigger ID, then for the action, I choose to turn the lights on or off based on which Trigger ID set off the automation.

It’s effectively combining two or three automations into one when two or three automations would have been fine, but it permenently ties them together, and I can name them whatever I want without having to use Yoda Notation (Garage, the light turn on. Garage, the lights turn off. Kitchen, the lights turn on…) just to alphabetically keep what are effectively two sides to the same automation next to each other, instead of all the "Turn off the"s together followed by all the "Turn on the…"s

I am all in for this feature request. After some time, we can have dozens of automations and it is so difficult to remember which one is doing what. It would be great to have groups or categories created and add members (automation). Those groups would be “belong to” entities for the automations, knowing that one automation could be a member of several groups. Having the ability to also add tags to each automation would be useful for search or filter. Both features together would be great.