Home Assistant Desktop (macOS, Windows and Linux) - quick and easy access to HA

what happened to the project?
can’t find it on github any more (https://github.com/mrvnklm/homeassistant-desktop)… :frowning:

2 Likes

Worked perfectly on Windows 11. I loved having the Home Assistant dashboard on Windows. Reinstalled my OS, went to download this application again, and now the project doesn’t exist? What happened here?

Looks like it’s dead, Any other desktop versions worth looking at?

2 Likes

browser extension

1 Like

PiotrMachowski/Home-Assistant-Taskbar-Menu: This application is a simple Home Assistant client for Windows. It can display Lovelace views, control entities and show persistent notifications. (github.com)

For anyone looking for a Windows alternative, I’ve been developing one for the past months:

It’s pretty feature complete; commands, sensors, quickactions, notifications and a dashboard and mediaplayer (tts) coming in the next versions. You could have a look and see if it fits your requirement :slight_smile:

There’s a forum topic on here as well:

2 Likes

I have no idea what happened to the original repository https://github.com/mrvnklm/homeassistant-desktop

@mrvnklm did you delete the whole project or what’s going? Why not locking it, allowing to fork so others can continue to maintain, or or or… plenty of options! Deleting FOSS projects is not that kind somehow :frowning: Would be great to know the reason if possible. Thank you.

To all others: what’s a suitable successor of this great piece of software? Is @SamKr s (Home Assistant Desktop (macOS, Windows and Linux) - quick and easy access to HA - #51 by SamKr) working the same or totally different?

It’s a lot more than homeassistant-desktop, but you can choose to just ignore the other functions and have it work the same yea:

Yup the original repo mrvnklm/homeassistant-desktop was definitely deleted or made private on @mrvnklm’s Github account. Can’t understand why someone would just up and nuke a project like this that so many people are clearly using and enjoying.
But yet he appears to have left v1.3.0 up under the repo MickRomanchenko/homeassistant-desktop??

For those looking for the download, version 1.4.0 from Dec 2020 is available on the wayback machine. This is the version I’m currently using on Windows and Mac.
All files for v1.4.0 appear to have working download links except for Source Code (zip)

3 Likes

I dealt with a lot of software engineers that do things like that.

Hello guys,

I managed to find the latest source code for version 1.4.10 and built it for Mac, Linux & Windows and you can download them from here
I also updated a few packages to run under the latest Electron 20.0.3 release.

4 Likes

Wow that’s awesome thanks man

1 Like

Thank you for this!

When I view the megafolder I unfortunately do not see a Windows file :

Am I missing it by chance?

Hello,

Windows files is with name “Home Assistant Desktop v1.4.10 amd64.exe” for x64 processors and “Home Assistant Desktop v1.4.10 arm64.exe” for AMR processors

1 Like

Thank you!. So I did grab the right file originally, however I have this weird bug where I can install the app, its running in the bottom tray but when I double click it nothing happens, when I right click the icon in the tray the menu doesn’t pop up either.

It started on my previous install sometime after the repo was archived. I had logged out of the current session and when I went to relaunch the app it started doing this. Uninstalling and reinstalling with this version still seems to have the same issue. The app appears to be running but there is no UI or response from the tray icon.

So weird.

Really loved this little app

Can you tell me what version of windows you are on because on my win 11 machine it works fine.
You can try right-clicking on the icon in the tray menu and select “Reset Application…” from the menu.

Also, when you uninstall the app, some config files are not removed from your machine and you can try to delete them from %appdata%\homeassistant-desktop and then try to launch the app again.

Windows 10 Home
Version 21H2

Unfortunately I can’t access the menu in your screenshot which is part of the problem I have. The icon is there but right clicking it does nothing and double clicking is the same result.

I’ve tried deleting the folder found in %AppData\Roaming\homeassistant-desktop% and reinstalling a few times and still has the same result.

Is there anywhere else files or configs may be hiding? I semi suspect it’s a messed up file somewhere that was left behind also but I haven’t been able to find it anywhere.

Under %AppData\Local\homeassistant-desktop-updater% it has an installer file and a pending folder with the old 1.4.10 installer from 11/22/2021 that I haven’t deleted yet but it just has the old installer lingering there.

Hi @xvlw

There is a new version, can you try it and if it doesn’t work again please send me the error log from %appdata%\homeassistant-desktop\logs directory

1 Like

Ok downloaded and ran v1.5.0-win.exe

Error log below. I closed and opened it twice to make sure it logged.

Prior to installing I uninstalled the previous version and manually deleted the folder in %AppData\Roaming\homeassistant-desktop

[2022-09-06 15:53:08.222] [info]  homeassistant-desktop started
[2022-09-06 15:53:08.228] [info]  Platform: win32
[2022-09-06 15:53:08.296] [info]  Checking for update
[2022-09-06 15:54:15.335] [info]  homeassistant-desktop started
[2022-09-06 15:54:15.339] [info]  Platform: win32
[2022-09-06 15:54:15.391] [info]  Checking for update

Same problem persists for me.

Also to note, in the last 10 days I also reinstalled Windows and started fresh due to a long overdue SSD upgrade. The problem I have now existed before and after the fresh Windows install.

Is it possible I’m missing something else in Windows to make the app run?

I see you posted it to github. Do you want me to open a ticket on the github vs taking over this thread?

I didn’t see any problem in your log and unfortunately at this point I don’t know how to reproduce your problem.
I tested the app on a Win 10 VM and on my Win 11 PC and both work fine.