Home Assistant Yellow

Anyone tried installing HA on a cm4 with eMMC and the data to an SSD M2?

Also, how does this work when making or restoring backups, when it is split to 2 storages?

Hi. The Yellow M2 slot is tricky I know. Lots of M2 ssd working lots not. Anyone knows a list/database the SSD? What is working what is not? Because I’ve got another ssd to the not working list:
Hikvision E100N Model: HS-SSD-E100N 128G 2280.
Nothing in the M2 slot, when I try across USB (m2 enclosure), the system find it.

I think we should create the list our selves.
I use a Samsung 980 M.2 NVME 1TB which works without any issues.

Only NVME, PCIe, M.2 SSDs work with the HA Yellow. It appears that the E100N uses SATA as its underlying communications protocol. M.2 SATA drives are not supported on Yellow.

3 Likes

Well, my estimated shipping date has been updated from January 7th to March 3rd :weary: the last project update on December 9th claimed that “if you are waiting for Yellow or Yellow Kit, chances are that you will receive it before the end of the year”. Anybody know what’s going on?

1 Like

Maybe they meant year 2023 or 2024?

I ordered the Yellow Poe Kit during the early days of the Crowd Supply campaign. It is scheduled to be delivered today, here in the USA. This is in line with the December project update.

Update: It has arrived!

And it is alive!

2 Likes

Got my Yellow POE today.

Had bought a CM4 module a while back (wireless, 8GB ram, 32GB storage), and have been using it ever since with a pitray mini, in preparation for my yellow to arrive.

I have a nice heatsink with 3pin fan and been controlling it based on CPU temps with PIGPIO add-on ( Poeschl Home Assistant Add-ons repository), Heatsink/fan fits well in the yellow box, and the GPIO14 pin which I used before is available on J11.

Everything else seemed to cross over nicely on the migration, except the fan no longer works!!

Did anyone try using the pins on J11 for GPIOs?

The fan fits well in the case and passively with the heatsink the CPU runs at 50C, whereas before had it running at 30c with about 40% duty cycle on the fan. Not too sure how well the supplied heatsink performs but would like to have the fan/heatsink setup.

1 Like

I am seeing around 50C for a basically IDLE instance of HAOS with the Yellow case installed. Feels a bit warm, but not hot enough for CPU throttling to kick in. I wonder if anyone has designed a revised case that can be 3D printed, with ventilation holes? :thinking: I really do not want to mess up the transparent case!

[UPDATE] @ahaghshenas - FYI - I just placed a 120mm fan next to the HA Yellow. I have seen a ~10degC drop in CPU temperature, with the Yellow case still on. Not bad for such a simple change. This fan is also helping to keep my Hubitat hub, Lutron SmartBridge Pro, and Philips Hue bridge cool.

Does it work well now your Yellow has arrived ?

It looks like it’s manufactured for specific regions… not worldwide software switchable…

I did a quick test yesterday using Z-WaveJS on my Yellow, with the Zooz 800 series Z-Wave radio module. I made sure that I first edited the operating system’s ‘config.txt’ to disable my CM4 onboard Bluetooth. This was mentioned on the Zooz website for this module. I did not test it prior to disabling Bluetooth. Z-WaveJS discovered the device without issue. I was able to pair an old GE/Jasco in-wall Z-Wave switch, without any issues. This was a very old Z-wave (non Plus) model switch. It worked fine. Not a very extensive test, but better than nothing. :slight_smile:

I really do not use Z-Wave currently, but it is nice to have the option! A few years ago, I replaced all of my Z-Wave switches and dimmers with Lutron Caseta switches, dimmers, fan controllers, and pico remotes. The Lutron system has been 100% reliable and performs very quickly.

My Yellow PoE arrived today (just finished opening the box) which is fantastic, but its a glorified paperweight until the CM4 that I ordered in April finally arrives

@ogiewon Here is a case for 3d printing.

https://www.printables.com/model/295651-home-assitant-yellow-enclosure

Will need modification for ventilation

2 Likes

Hello @bacco007, congrats!!. When did you order your yellow? I ordered mine on Nov, 29 2022 with originally estimated to ship on Jan 27, 2023 and it has been delayed recently to March, 03!

If I don’t need onboard WiFi on the CM4 is it better to use a USB Bluetooth dongle than opt for the module with WiFi/Bluetooth? I’m presuming a separate Bluetooth device might offer better range?

I would tend to agree with the above assumption. Really no need to get the WiFi and Bluetooth (aka “Wireless”) features on the CM4. When I bought my CM410832, I figured I would get the top of the line CM4 to future proof things a bit. Turns out, trying to edit “config.txt” on HAOS in order to disable the Bluetooth to allow the 10 pin RPi GPIO header to work with other devices is a tedious task. Fortunately for me, I installed HAOS 100% on a NVME SSD. This allowed me to simply remove the SSD, attach it to a USB enclosure, and then edit “config.txt” using my MS Windows PC. This was much simpler than trying to edit that file if it was on the eMMC. It is still doable, but a little more work.

I would tend to agree with this as well. The recent addition of Bluetooth Proxies essentially solves a few problems, IMHO. It allows BT radios to placed strategically throughout one’s house, significantly improving BT coverage/range. It also eliminates the need to find a CM4 with “wireless” features.

My Yellow is in a remote location of my home, so having BT onboard is really not very helpful. YMMV, of course.

2 Likes

I ordered mine on August 3rd 2022 and am seeing the same revised shipping estimate of March 3rd 2023. :disappointed:

Unbelievable!! Does anyone know what is happening? December project update was a joke, wasn’t it?

Well, I received my Yellow PoE Kit in January 2023, as was mentioned in the December 2022 update. So, seems pretty legit to me. I ordered it in September 2021, during the initial Crowd Supply funding campaign. So, for those who ordered over a year later…patience please… It was worth the wait!

The project updates all along have been a joke. When I ordered in August, the most recent update stated “we are shipping” and did not indicate that new orders would have to wait months for future production batches to be completed.

I thought I was ordering with plenty of time to spare to get Home Assistant up and running before SmartThings shut down Groovy and Webcore. Now I’m sitting on a load of broken automations with no end in sight…