Life360 Officially Supported Integration

I’ve upgraded to HA 2023.12.4 and am being prompted to RECONFIGURE. Even if I reset my Life360 password (and test that it’s working), when i try to submit my new password, it says “Invalid Authentication”. It doesn’t give me the option of uninstalling the Life360 HA integration either. Was going to try and completely reinstall it.

Did you verify your phone number in the life360 app? If so, that is the problem.

As far as deleting the current life360 integration in HA, there is an option. You have to ignore the box that says to reconfigure. Look for the life360 box at the bottom. Click on it, then the three dot menu. The delete option is there.

Thank you. No, I did not verify my phone number always it wants me to.

Meanwhile, I have since DELETED, rebooted and reinstalled the Life360 integration in HA 2023.12.4 and attempted this time to enter my confirmed username (working email address) and new password and still receive the integration authentication failure: “invalid authentication.” Though I can login with these credentials without issue on their website using email and password.

Ok. Not sure what else to tell you. Except, did you possibly apply one of the recent workarounds? I.e., do you have a life360 folder in configuration directory or custom_components? (I’ve asked so many times I forget who I’ve asked.)

No, I was certain not to have applied any workarounds for that very reason. I’ll continue to monitor this thread for further developments and fixes. Thank you.

@motoolfan habe you been able to get yours to work since verifying phone number, resetting L360 password and not verifying phone number again?

I haven’t verified my phone number since I changed the password and won’t.

@motoolfan have you been able to authenticate/login with the HA 2023.12.4 Life360 integration since resetting your password?

I have been able to login since I changed the password and everything in HASSIO is working like it was before.

1 Like

@pnbruckner interesting - I was able to resolve the issue if this helps others. Incidentally I had not ever installed any of the Life360 custom fixes, however I manually deleted the /config/life360 folder (including subfolders like pycache which included file dates as far back as July 2023? Anyway - after that I restarted HA 2023.12.4 and re-added the Life360 integration with my email and password for Life360 and it authenticated successfully and prompted me with Life360 entities. Immediately my previously configured HA Life360 options re-mapped and seemed to require no further reconfiguring.

If you had a /config/life360 folder, then you applied some workaround at some point. That folder does not normally exist.

This all got overly complicated due to multiple “workaround” suggestions. Ultimately, the only things that were needed to get it working again was the 2023.12.4 release (which uses the updated life360 PyPI package, that was changed to compensate for changes in the Life360 API), and possibly changing your Life360 password, if at some time you had verified your phone number in the Life360 app.

Other than that, yes, the previous Life360 config entry (or entries) should “just work” (possibly with an updated password.)

Unfortunately, because this is still an undocumented & unsupported API, a lot of guessing and reverse engineering had to be done to come up with the appropriate fix. Hence the point of this topic.

1 Like

Now that there has been an update, would someone mid either pointing me to or explaining how to take advantage of the update.

When this first happened I uninstalled Life360 from my integrations page.
I did not touch any other files.

It seems that the discussion has lots of moving parts and I am very confused.

Thank you especially @pnbruckner for taking on the challenge

The confusion comes from multiple workarounds being suggested (that came from different times in the process of coming up with a fix.)

Upgrade Home Assistant to 2023.12.4. Then add the Life360 integration entry again.

If you get an authentication/authorization failure, then that seems to imply you’ve verified your phone number in the Life360 app. When you do that, the Life360 server uses a different auth process that the HA integration does not support. At this point you need to change your Life360 password (via the Life360 app or password reset website, which switches it back to the old method that HA supports), and do not verify your phone number if the Life360 app asks you to do so again.

2 Likes

You’re welcome. But the thanks really belong to @11harveyj who was able to figure out the changes needed in the life360 PyPI package to get things working again.

2 Likes

Did you have to remove life360 integration to get it to work? I changed my password, phone # shows unverified but it still fails.

Would anyone who still needs help getting the existing Life360 integration to work please ask for help in the following topic:

Life360 Device Tracker Platform - Third party integrations - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

There is actually a lot of good information there already.

Please use this topic for discussing whether or not effort should be put into negotiating some sort of agreement with Life360 to use their API and provide documentation and support for such. And mainly, use this topic to vote for that.

Thank you!

2 Likes

FYI, something changed this morning in the Life360 server API that has broken the integration again.

It’s getting too difficult to try to keep up. I’m throwing in the towel, at least for now. If some arrangement can be worked out with Life360 where they’ll officially support us I might be willing to work on the integration again. Until then, if ever, it’s been fun!

9 Likes

Thank you for supporting this integration over the years for us all @pnbruckner :saluting_face:
Life360 is really not being a good player in helping smart home enthusiasts to integrate their product…

3 Likes

thank you for your wonderful work, I wanted to use the Google Maps platform to share the location, does it consume a lot of battery?

1 Like

I will end up believing that a careless person (hacker) is having fun destabilizing this integration. last year or 2 years ago, it was the same thing. I understand #pnbruckner’s reaction I would do the same.