Mirabella Genio Smart Home

Sure did!

I must have submitted that config on the same day as the other guy did, but he had beat me too it, so his went up. I tried his config a few days later, and it didn’t work for me.

Figured it was time to correct it. :wink:

I’m in the same boat you were: I flashed a gu10 bulb (with adjustable colour temperature) with the incorrect pin set (13 instead of 12). The bulb looks alive (I can see it on my network and interact with it in home assistant), however I can’t figure out how to upload the fixed firmware.

I’m using these instructions: https://esphome.io/cookbook/mirabella-genio-bulb.html#adding-to-home-assistant

Obviously with it not lighting up it’s hard to know if it’s flashing and ready to accept the new firmware, however I’ve tried about a dozen times and I still can’t get it to connect. I’ve had success with a monochromatic bulb so my setup is working, it’s just that I can’t get tuya-convert to reconnect to the bulb. Any suggestions? Do I even need to use tuya-convert to upload firmware now I have esphome on the bulb?

The Mirabella Genio smart Xmas lights have arrived at Kmart. Has anyone had a chance to pull one apart?

Hey team,

I have picked up some of these, 2 of them and my wife and I use the Genio app with them, it seems fine.

I am curious if I can get them to talk to HomeAssistant for me, while ALSO being able to still be used by Genio (for my wife usability, nice and simple) ?

Can I do that somehow?

I’m thinking of getting some next week. Very cheap for outdoor rated lights

So I was feeling adventurous and my wife wanted to put up the tree last night…
So we got some of those mirabella lights. Tried them in the genio app to get a feeling for them. Removed them from the app. Booted up a pi with fresh install of buster lite and OTA latest tuya convert.
The plug flashes green(slow) when no wifi ap, had to hold the button for fast green light flashing. loaded tasmota 7.0.0.3(default) with tuya convert.

Best config so far has been…

{"NAME":"SmartLedChain","GPIO":[0,0,0,0,157,17,0,0,37,38,39,0,0],"FLAG":0,"BASE":18}

So gpio4 ledlink, gpio5 is the button, gpio12 is pwm?, gpio13 is dummy pwm?, gpio14 is pwm?

This of course breaks the modes/functions that were in the original firmware. However scheme 4 gives a simple flicker setting and the dimmer, toggle, and timer(with time set) work correctly. I haven’t bothered to set the button up properly yet as I haven’t figured out way to get the modes back. Tasmota schemes 0-4 work, but are fairly limited , I was hoping the higher up schemes might fire, but they give an error/unknown result (which makes sense as they are for addressable LEDs).

So if anyone is good with making rules for what seems to be HSBcolor schemes in tasmota, feel free to jump in, I can only get them to dim so far that way, although tasmota rules are not my one of my strengths. something like event#fade … or event#flicker comes to mind, but i’m not sure how do the pulses etc.

So in the meantime if you want more than 1 scheme… leave them in the genio app. Oh and I didn’t need to pull it apart to flash it, just wanted a look.

tree lights with star

4 Likes

So if these are not addressable LED’s is each LED a set colour and the only thing you can change is the flashing pattern?

EDIT: the reason I ask, I would rather go with ESPhome than Tasmota and thinking that this might work. ESPhome lets you build your own effects so that could hopefully also work…

Yeah just the flashing pattern and brightness are addressable.
Although I am not sure how those light effects in esphome would work with these lights. I haven’t figured out what the schemes in tasmota are doing. Besides I’d have to bring them into HA with esphome to get a timer to work, or atleast include it in .yaml

Timers are all I really wanted and just click options in tasmota.

EDIT: Alot(all) of these effects in esphome are for addressable LEDs, Changing the RGB on these lights only adjusts the total brightness afaik.

Scheme 1 to 4 from tas commands work. but schemes 6-12 are not usable.
Dimmer changes produce this in tas console.

15:02:28 RSL: stat/tasmota/RESULT = {"POWER":"ON","Dimmer":59,"Color":"969696","HSBColor":"0,0,59","Channel":[59,59,59]}

So this the GPIO that is actually connected to the LED’s and the others don’t actually do anything? I’m thinking of getting some and giving ESPhome a crack using the PWM light component. I guess it should work based on your findings

Ledlink is the transformer LED, the pairing status led. GPIO 12 and 14 can be addressed as relays and flick half the lights on/off, so having 2 pwm set you can adjust the brightness of half the lights. Which is why I put the third pwm in to act as a dummy, which drags tasmota to a single brightness control. I’ll add a screenie to explain more.

So this is with 3 pwms(1 dummy) set. Which allows scheme 1-4 to be used.
3pwm

And this is why I put the dummy in.Because 2pwm change the behaviour of Tasmota
2pwm

This is probably the best explanation I’ve seen so far of how these work. Not sure how best to get that into tasmota or esphome.

Interesting! Thanks for sharing that. So from my quick read (didn’t watch the CRO videos) I guess we need to be careful not to try and provide an output from both PWM outputs at the same time since this would try to run polarity in both directions so to speak…a dead short

Correct, full power on both channels at the same time doesn’t work and cuts the lights out.

If both GPIO 12 and 14 are:
Relays:

• You can control both channels individually, but not both at once, due to short.

PWMs:

• you need the first channel open to open run the second channel, full power can’t be done(shorts). But you can run channel 1 around 70% dimmer and channel 2 flick on and off by shifting from around 60% dimmer to 80% dimmer. Which I assume is enough to change the polarity… I could be totally wrong though.

Trying to fully understand how that H-bridge works is cooking my brain… it’s been too many years since I studied electronics like that. I’ve been trying to get more info on these 2 wire LED strings as well but not having much luck. I’m thinking we need to have the two PWM outputs running at the same frequency but opposite polarities to function correctly? Or is it that one should be at minimum frequency while the other is adjusted across its range for one string and then the opposite for the other string / half?

yeah not really sure, sounds right… I don’t have an oscilloscope to look further.
On the scheme 4 random both channels flickering mode. it jumps around pos to neg on a multimeter.

NingBo Golden power might help dunno. I didn’t have flash installed to view their stuff, if its even there.
NingBo Golden power.

No seriously, please - how can I continue to use the Genio app, but ALSO control my Mirabella lights, with HomeAssistant, is this possible?

Did you try the Tuya integration?

I did and it’s not working.
I edited /usr/share/hassio/homeasistant/configuration.yaml and I added the following

tuya:
username: [email protected]
password: password
country_code: 61

saved file
rebooted, no sign of Tuya in my HA?

I also tried adding platform: tuya at the end.

How do I “search” for Tuya apps? Where’s the log to see if the credentials I put in, even worked?
I see no reference to the word “Tuya” in my entities or devices.

the tuya integration doesnt support all items and this is why they probably dont show up