Motorized Shade Suggestions

Have had these installed (along w/ their hub) in our home for a few years now (just a single window in full transparency), but they’re working well still and glad we have them.

Thanks, Tony!

I have three of these blinds installed from thirdReality and they have worked flawlessly.

I am having this issue now. Downloaded the latest from Beta Testing for Home Assistant – Leviosa Motor Shades
The manifest already has 0.3.5
I am getting the Error, “Config flow could not be loaded: undefined

Hi @bijuta Did you try emailing Leviosa support? They are usually responsive. @Leviosa Tony – please note.
Good luck!

I just posted about about my experience with the SmartWings blinds; in short super happy so I am buying more

I just purchased 3 of these. Youll need a door sensor for each one and a Bond bridge if you dont have one. The bond bridge will also control ceiling fans and anything else that operates on RF. The door sensor is needed to tell HA when the blind has fully closed. The blinds dont talk back to the Bond Bridge. Adding to the bridge took less than a minute.
They are $100 for the 34" and with the aqara door sensor it raises the cost to less than $120.
I spent $420 on 3 blinds, the bridge and one door sensor. I had 2 sensor laying around. Would have been around $500 for the zigbee blinds I was considering.
They are very quiet.
https://www.lowes.com/pd/allen-roth-Motorized-Cellular-Shade-34-in-x-72-in-White-Blackout-Cordless-Motorized-Cellular-Shade/5001056303

If anybody is considering those blinds above, go to your local Lowes. I was just there and they are on clearance in-store for much less. The ones I paid $100 are $60. Some sizes as low as $25 Really cant beat those prices. I think these become a no-brainer at that cost.

My Leviosa services just disappeared with the latest HA update. Anyone else?

No issues here. I upgraded and they still work. FYI, I also use a bond bridge for some of them.

I have been trying to get my Levoisa Zone paired with my Home Assistant for the last 6+ weeks. I also run multiple VLANs and wanted to put my Zone on the IoT VLAN. The SSDP discovery wouldn’t work no matter what I tried. I was unable to run the multicast-relay program on my USG-3P, and even tried to run it on my a server that I dual homed for this specific purpose, with all Unifi firewall rules disabled. No dice. Weirdly enough, the HomeKit Bridge would show up time and again when I re-paired my Zone on the IoT VLAN. Super frustating.

So this is what I did to get things working, and I really wish that I would have thought about it sooner.

• Setup my Zone on my normal VLAN with my HA instance
  • Configured the Levoisa integration
  • Shutdown my HA instance
  • Deleted my Zone from the app on my phone
  • I navigated to the data directory for my HA instance, into the .storage directory
  • Ran a grep ${zone-ip} * which listed the following files:
core.config_entries:          "AccessoryIP": "x.x.x.x"
core.device_registry:            "x.x.x.x"`
  • Re added my zone to the mobile app, on the IoT network
  • changed the IP address for the entries in the above files to the IP address of the Zone on the IoT network
  • restart HASS

I really, really cannot understand why the Zone relies on SSDP for discovery and how there isn’t a way to specify the IP address if you wanted to. I am guessing something about DHCP if the Zone’s IP changes. I have my Zone configured to pull the same DHCP address anyway, so this isn’t an issue for me. I just cannot think of a reason to not include more than a single discovery option, especially given that these steps were so trivial in the end.

1 Like

Hi, thanks very much for sharing. I have plans to move mine to a NoT ssid, and this provides a roadmap.

Quick clarification on the architecture. Are these RF or Bluetooth requiring a local hub over wifi or are the shades themselves wifi and no hub needed. I have a really large house and can’t invest in something that will require local hubs.
On a different topic I read these could be esp32 controlled? Wondering if they can be flashed for local control

For manufacturers reading this, unless a product needs the cloud for advanced processing like a learning. Thermostat or similar, cloud connections are a hard no for me unless there is a project like tuya local where this can be bypassed

Also for the manufacturers, my wife loved the website and the selection and styles. She was won over instantly until I started grumbling about hubs.

Hi. The Leviosa’s have a hub they sell, and it uses an app. There is a beta integration that works.
However, I’ve also been able to control them with a Bond hub. I recently saw a Youtube where someone said they use their Bond hub in a large house and only need 1 of them. ymmv. Might be worth ordering one from Amazon that you could return if it doesn’t work well. BTW, I found Bond’s tech support to be excellent.

I use the Bond for both the Leviosas and ceiling fans.

BTW, unless you are going to configure separate “no_IOT/NoFi” wifi SSIDs, I’d encourage you to not use WIFI enabled devices, as they are only as secure as their firmware. Food for thought. Good luck!

Was there ever an update to allow manually specifying the IP address? I’ve been searching but not seeing one so far. I also have my Leviosa Zone Hub on the IoT network and am having trouble getting Home Assistant to discover it on a different VLAN. Going to be a pain to have to factory reset the unit to connect to a new SSID + set up a new SSID for my ‘servers’ network where HA lives.

Hi haven’t seen any progress at all from @Leviosa on the zone or their beta HA integration. Hopefully Tony can respond.

I emailed their customer support and showed them this thread. The rep I worked with said he would bring it up in a staff meeting and that was yesterday so hopefully there will be a fix soon.

I have more shades I want to order but I’m holding off until I know this is going to work. Thanks all!

Great, thanks for doing that. Hopefully @Leviosa will respond here.

Quick warning: try creating a new user first if you’re thinking of the Leviosa “Zone” hub.

HA needs the “Zone” hub
The Zone needs the app to set it up
The App needs a user account
The user-account creation is failing exposing an error in the backend
Leviosa doesn’t admit that they understand it’s broken.

Most of us would be using the “Zone” to interface with HA, but the Zone needs the App to be setup, and the App needs a new login created. Sadly, any combination of user and password (for example, user=“bob@example,com” pass=“hunter2hunter2”) fails with what looks like a common DynamoDB error (cloud backed by AMZ user user database in DynamoDB?).

Either way, we cannot fix the broken backend, and while it’s broken, we cannot set up the Zone, so we cannot have a hub discovered by HA, so we cannot use with HA.

Please try to setup the App with a new account before you place your order.

Hi @W0lfm4n … The shades are Custom RF, like a lot of older home automation. I don’t know yet whether the RF is fire-and-forget or has returns about state (ie how competitors keep you updated about battery levels in the blinds)

Remote ==(RF)==> Blinds

The “Zone” hub is a Wifi client, RF transmitter:

LAN → your_WiFi_AP —(Wifi)–> Leviosa_Zone ==(RF)==>blinds

This is the same as the Hunter-Douglas, at half the price. I’m unsure yet whether the Zone Hub transmitter will go through drywall as mine isn’t connecting yet, and the hand-held A114 “Emitter” used to set them up doesn’t make 20 feet when there’s a hollow interior (drywall) wall in the way. I’m hoping the Zone transmitter transmits with more power when mine starts working.