Neo Coolcam PIR

Hmm, thanks for the feedback. How long do your coolcam sensor batteries usually last?

Most of them are still like new, and they were bought about six months ago. Take a look:

BTW, 3 of them are new, and include the new temperature sensor at the same price! :ok_hand:

Do you ever press the wake button, and do you ever restart home assistant? also do you buy the new sensors with temperature from Aliexpress and do you have a link? sorry for all these questions haha.

Hi again, and donā€™t worry, Iā€™m willing to help. Iā€™ve only had to press the wake button while setting up the first ones I bought but I think it was because I didnā€™t include these nodes directly from HA zwave configuration option ā€˜add nodeā€™. Once I did it that way, I didnā€™t have more issues in this regard.
And yes I bought the new ones from AliExpress, here:

NEO COOLCAM NAS-PD02Z z-wave Plus Sensor de movimiento PIR Detector elĆ©ctrica domĆ³tica operado onda Z movimiento del sistema de alarma sensor
https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/cXfTZgRJ

Maybe the problem is that I wake it up everytime I restart HA and the wake up drains the battery. Thanks for the reply, Iā€™m going to buy a second one with the temp sensor and test it out.

Great! Try the new one, hope it works well. Temp sensors are working great for me.
The steps I take to configure it:

1. connect the battery and wait a few seconds
  2. press ā€˜add nodeā€™ on HA zwave menu and wait a few seconds.
  3. then having the sensor near your zwave-hub press 3 times the ā€˜wake upā€™ button of the sensor.
    If you do it this way, after 30 seconds or so, the node should appeared as ā€˜completeā€™ and already working inside HA, and you shouldnā€™t need to wake up the sensor at all.
1 Like

Iā€™ve had the same problem with mine. Battery drains within a month. Seems to drop in chunks, was as 83% yesterday and now 54%. Havenā€™t been able to figure it out, maybe a dodgy batch?

Yes! I have this problem too sometimes. Right now its at 83% for the past week or so. Hope it stays like that for at least a month

Iā€™ve read this thread a few times and Iā€™m having the same problem. Iā€™ve got three NEO Coolcams working right now (one still in the box) and most of the functions work fine:

• Movement: fine
  • Temp: fine
  • LUX: not fine at all

I can change values by waking op the coolcam and saving them in a bit of trial and error way and LUX is set to ten, but the LUX wonā€™t change over the time of day

All of the devices are in Cacheload mode, is that something that has to change?

34 39

All my Neo Coolcam PIR sensor work fine now. Your parameters seem fine to me but I think they should appear as COMPLETE on the z-wave config menu. Take a look at mine:

Ah, great, iā€™m joining this Neo Coolcam troubleshooting club. Just bought myself 4 of the new model Neo Coolcam PIR + temperature sensors (NAS-PD02Z), thinking like, how hard can it be to get them to work! How stupid of me, right?
Anyway, after including the node, Home Assistant looks to create all the entities just fine. Iā€™ve got a temp, light, battery level and binary motion sensor entity all there, like i expected
However, the binary motion sensor is stuck at ā€˜Onā€™, it never goes ā€˜Offā€™
I had this issue before with an Aeotec motion sensor, the solution there was to change the report type to ā€˜binary sensor reportā€™ instead of ā€˜basic reportā€™, that could be done in the zwave control panel, however, this Neo sensor does not appear to have this parameter there
Anybody got this one to work, or at least report motion?

I found an elegant solution to get the PIR sensor displayed properly:

1 Like

My Neo Coolcam PIR works perfectly, except for the battery that seems to always be 100% image, which is odd since the battery has been in there for a while. Itā€™s the device itself that reports it, according to OSZW_Log.txt (Received Battery report from node 7: level=100), so I donā€™t think that HA could be the main problem.
Nonetheless, my old Vera does manage to get a percentage out of it image, so the device should be able to do it.
Anyone a suggestion on where to look next?

Hi, did you ever find a solution to this. I have just received a Neo Coolcam PIR - same model as yourself - and mine is also always reporting binary sensor and burglar sensor as ā€˜onā€™/detectedā€™. It never resets.

If I ā€˜refreshā€™ the entities or the node then the values sometimes temporarily reset. But after the first motion event they get stuck at ā€˜onā€™ again!

All other sensor feeds, temperature, lux, battery, seem to work fine.

Hi @benmarshall @jasper1983x I have still te same problemā€¦ how did you guys fix this problem?

I havenā€™t fixed it unfortunately.

I use a hacky work-around which creates a ā€˜virtualā€™ sensor which is set based on the last updated time of the PIR sensor binary output. Itā€™s implemented using a template sensor as such:

sensor:
  - platform: template
      garage_virtual_motion_sensor:
        friendly_name: "Garage Virtual Motion Sensor"
        icon_template: mdi:motion-sensor
        value_template: >-
          {% if as_timestamp(states('sensor.date_time_iso')) - as_timestamp(states.sensor.shenzhen_neo_electronics_co_ltd_nas_pd02z_battery_powered_pir_sensor_v2_burglar.last_updated) < 30 and states('sensor.shenzhen_neo_electronics_co_ltd_nas_pd02z_battery_powered_pir_sensor_v2_burglar') == '8' and states('sensor.uptime')|float > 2 %}
            Detected
          {% else %}
            Clear
          {% endif %}

You need a datetime iso sensor setup and I also use an uptime sensor to make sure it doesnā€™t get set active when HA restarts.

This template sensor will give you a motion detected/clear type output which gets set to detected for 30 seconds everytime a new motion event is reported by the PIR.

Hope that helps for now!

If anyone gets these things to work properly please let us know how!

Thanks for these solution! First I will try this. Itā€™s a strange why the pir not is working With an normal automation.

Hi there,

I bought the Neo Coolcam PIR at Aliexpress.

Unfortunately I canā€™t get it to work. I am using a raspberry Pi4b wit Home Assistant and an AEON LABS Z-Wave USB Stick. A couple other z-wave devices are working.

Do I need to edit the zwcfg*.xml file? If so, can someone provide their working config fot the sensor, please.

thanks
Chris

You donā€™t need to edit anything. It should just pair as is.