NUE Home Bridge (Zigbee 3.0) Support

I’m no expert but I’ll be getting some of these devices very shortly - here is something that may help??

Hi have managed to do a packet trace on the communications between an iPad running HUI Light and the Nue bridge. The app appears to communicate directly with the Nue over TCP port 8001.

Apon initial connection the Nue transmits an enumerated list of the Custom Scenes, Groups and devices back to the iPad. The App then controls devices/groups/scenes by sending a single “command” packet which seems to get a single “status” response. None of this communication appears to be secured or encrypted. From the formatting of the TCP packets there is obviously some kind of rather basic API behind this communication that could be reverse engineered if someone was so inclined. Would be nice if they (fbee/fiebit) just published it though.

All that aside I still cannot get the Android app to work beyond the first run. I can tell that during the second & subsequent runs it never even gets to the point where it tries to communicate with the Nue (no transmission on network to the Nue) before it crashes. Also found the crash report on the Android phone that says error is related to a programming error "java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: “R01"”. I did find that by going in to settings / app / Hui Light / Storage and deleting all data it will run one more time (have to repeat this every time though). I am assuming the app is enumerating devices and saving to local storage to speed up subsequent runs but this is corrupted in some way causing crash unless you delete the saved data.

Again app works 100% all the time on an iPhone but really want it to work on my S8. There does not seem to be any official support channel for this app (not that I can find anyway). Given its last update date not sure if its been abandoned in favor of Hui Home - this would be unfortunate as I think its a much better app.

1 Like

@Sim69417 Mike, did you end up getting anywhere further with this? I am trying from another angle and trying to get the devices into HA via a different Zigbee dongle and Zigbee2MQTT, but not having a great deal of luck so far (possibly due to a lack of ability …). Here’s a link, hopefully this might help you or someone else?

NUE via ZIGBEE2MQTT

These devices are manufactured by Feibit, and the english website seems to be www.brimate.com - might help the process?

@Lee_au no have not received any response from 3a smart home (the mob who I got all my stuff from) re issues with “local” app not working or API info so have not investigated much more at this stage and I am relying on Google home instead at this stage which is slow to respond but works fine, would prefer a “local” control option though. Would prefer my investment not to be totally useless if Feibit goes bust or turns off their servers which is the case at the moment.

Will research via the info in the link you provided when I get a chance and see if anything helpful there.

Steve.

Has anyone tried these with Hue bridge or Lightify?
I have ordered few of the switches without the hub.

I got their in ceiling controller working without NUE Bridge using zha

I have the light switches (1,2,3 gangs) working with Hassio and Smart Things Hub.

(Used a mail forwader, ie https://www.shipito.com/en/ delivery cost via shipito was approx $45 aud from USA and yes, I know the smart things hub zwave is USA frequency and it’s been disabled).

Smarter things repo: https://github.com/adamfeldman/hassio-addons with setup instructions via the linked repo in readme.
MQTT Broker: https://www.home-assistant.io/addons/mosquitto/
Device handlers + Smart Apps: https://community.smartthings.com/t/help-with-new-dh-for-aust-3-gang-light-switch-catchall-included/
Hassio <> MQTT Broker <> Smart Things Bridge <> Smart Things

Also had it working via Hassio and REST if the MQTT bridge isn’t your thing: https://github.com/bradymholt/smartthings-rest-api
Hassio <> REST <> Smart Things

Both work alright, MQTT broker performs actions slightly faster and state information is reported better.

I have similar setup as Kortex.

I also use a number of Xiaomi/Aqara sensors to trigger switch on/off. They work most of the time, except occasionally, the sending/receiving of motion sensor messages between MQTT and HA is inconsistent hence no trigger.

Any help to improve consistency will be good :slight_smile:

Anyone got Scene switches working with this? very frustrating as I have about 5 of these switches installed now, I can control them with Alexa but no luck with scene switching via Alexa Echo, also the Echo inbuild Zigbee mesh does not seem to be able to control direct without the hub

Another Aussie hoping to deck out future home with the only compliant gear. Subscribing :slight_smile:

Aussie yes please

I am still trying to get my switches imported into Hassio via Zigbee2MQTT, though it seems that in addition to the Smart Things hub, the Hubitat seems to support these devices as well. I’m still holding out on getting my CC2531 dongle working though!

Update: I recently moved my HA from Mac to Rasp Pi running on HassIO and the MQTT interface has been consistent. Light switches are working with Xiaomi motion sensors reliably since and have been using for a month now.

@y_c , Thanks for the update, happy it’s working for you but what has that go to do with the Nue branded switches and hub?

My setup:
Nue switches>Smartthings hub>MQTT>HassIO

I added xiaomi sensors into HassIO as triggers to the Nue switches.

Good work. I’m still hoping that I can achieve integration into HA without any more hubs using the CC2531 dongle only.

I have messaged Kevin from 3aSmartHome and he has said that he would look at this project in the new year, so that is good news, as I see there’s a lot of interest in getting this working here in Australia especially.

I’ve got a Nue wall switch to work with Raspbee bridge through their Phoscon app; seems to be working well so far!

Hi @Dredzed

Thanks for that, good to hear of more compatibility! Are you by chance any association with dresden-automatik that makes the Conbee dongles etc?

Have you had any luck getting the 3 gang switches to work?

How is using this interface better or worse than a CC2531 on its own? It seems that the Conbee and Raspbee devices might be using a different ZigBee radio?

Hi Lee_au
Sorry, no association with the manufacturers - I’ve only got into this home automation in the last 6 months or so, but loving it!
I’ve only got a 1 gang Nue wall switch, which I think I got to pair with Phoscon by searching for a light rather than a switch from memory.
I have no experience with CC2531, but happy to help with any (simple) questions about my Raspbee setup!

Thanks Dredzed. If you are able to find the device handlers used for that witch, that may be useful perhaps? The single gang switch is the only version of the range that I don’t currently own, but it should be easiest to supprt once I get any of these others sorted ( likely with some more help!).