Restore the system dashboard?

Hello,

I hope this is an easy question. I was tinkering with dashboards and I’ve accidentally edited the system dashboard so that its no longer the system dashboard. Can anyone point me to some instructions about how to get it back?

1 Like

AFAIK edit in yaml and clear the yaml file completely.

6 Likes

Just create a new dashboard in Configuration -> Lovelace Dashboards and it will start off with the default overview dashboard which you can then clean up

2 Likes

Thank you. That was careless of me!

Making a new dashboard works at first, but the original system dashboard still shows up in the list of dashboards and cannot be deleted. Is there still no way to restore it?

1 Like

There seems to be a lot of confusion about default dashboards and autogenerated dashboards.

When you install HA for the first time, you get a global default dashboard called Overview that is autogenerated. Once you take control by editing it, it is no longer autogenerated, but it is still the default dashboard.

You can create additional dashboards, you can delete additional dashboards, but you cannot delete the global default dashboard called Overview. Otherwise new users won’t have a home page for Home Assistant.

Any dashboard can be made an auto-generated dashboard. If you accidentally took control of a dashboard and want it to be autogenerated again, go to raw mode (in the menu in the upper right corner), delete all contents, and save. If you want a self made global dashboard, and have an autogenerated one on the side, create an extra dashboard.

Any user can set one of the extra dashboards to be their default in the personal settings. That will hide the global default Overview dashboard from them. It is a per-user, per browser setting, so that is why you cannot delete the global default dashboard called Overview.

The default dashboard setting is not very useful if you want to change the default for everyone, or only want one dashboard. If your favorite self made dashboard was not created in Overview, the best way to change that is to edit your favorite dashboard, go to raw mode in the menu in the upper right corner, copy al the code and past it to the raw editor of the “real” default dashboard called Overview. Then you can delete the extra copy.

If you want to restore the global default dashboard to an autogenerated one, clear the contents in raw mode (if you want to save what you built there, copy the raw contents to a new dashboard first).

26 Likes

What do you mean by “raw mode”? I see no such thing.

Uper right-hand corner

Hit edit dashboard

Upper right hand corner again

Hit raw configuration editor

Ctrl-a (select all)

Delete key

Done

8 Likes

Thank you! That was irritating me to no end and you solved it for me.

3 Likes

Thanks, that solved it for me too!

2 Likes

In case anyone else stumbles on this, remote in to your instance (or use Samba) and go in to the hidden folder .storage in the config folder for your instance. Delete/rename lovelace, lovelace_resources and lovelace_dashboards and restart your instance, you’ll be returned to just the default system Lovelace Dashboard.

1 Like

I fell over on this little hurdle (my own fault). I followed the steps to Raw mode > Select All > Delete.

Now I have:

If I now go Edit Dashboard (the only option available), I get this:

So I am looking for a bit of guidance; do I choose ‘Start with an empty dashboard’ or ‘Take Control’ or both?
Looking to get an autogenerated dashboard.

Please help if you can.

Thanks.

EDIT; Fixed. I had some devices named the same as the areas they were in. Renamed those devices and success!

How to reset the “Overview Dashboard” back to default.

Steps:

1. On the “Overview” screen, click the 3 vertical dots next to the magnifier icon.

2. Select “Edit Dashboard”.

3. Select the 3 vertical dots next to the Circled Question mark icon.

4. Select the option called “Raw configuration editor”.

5. On the keyboard use “Ctrl+A” to select all the text.

6. On the keyboard use either “Delete” and/or “Backspace”.

7. Select the “Save” option in the top right corner.

8. A window will pop up on the screen saying “We will automatically generate your dashboard views with your areas and devices if you remove your dashboard configuration.”

9. Select the option “REMOVE”.

10. Another pop-up window will show, just select “CANCEL”.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for this explanation! I’m starting with HA and this was really helpfull :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much !!!

First post here!
Thanks @TwitchingEye747. I have spent some hours on how to get my other Sonoff Temp/Humid sensor to appear in the overview dashboard, as the first one did.
I think, but do not know, that my mistake was that when a suggestion popped up under Notifications to configure my Sonoff Dongle-E. I clicked “Configure”, only to later realize that I installed ZHA. Removed ZHA, but newly added device did not show up under Overview. This fixed it.
I’m IT, but a newbie to Home Assistant.