Ring integration setup fails

Just updated to 0.103.2. Docker on Intel NUC.

After restart, the Ring integration fails with the below error messages. Several HA restarts do not fix it. Worked well on 0.102.3.

Just me, something with the HA version, or something at the Ring API end?

2019-12-19 13:02:39 ERROR (SyncWorker_17) [homeassistant.components.ring] Unable to connect to Ring service: 403 Client Error: Forbidden for url: https://api.ring.com/clients_api/session
2019-12-19 13:02:40 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for ring: Integration failed to initialize.
2019-12-19 13:02:40 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform ring.camera: Unable to set up component.
2019-12-19 13:02:40 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.setup] Unable to prepare setup for platform ring.sensor: Unable to set up component.

There seems to be an issue with Ring in general:

Silly question. did you enable the 2FA on the account. Cause I got prompted the other day by the app to enable it which i went okay why not. and then later I just happened to reboot my HA and I got another text code to my phone. And realised oh NO! The 2FA is going to stop the ring on HA. So I turned it off.

I don’t own any ring device :slight_smile: but as far as I read you need to disable 2FA.

I don’t have 2FA on Ring as I figured it would screw up HA access, worked fine until the update to 0.103.2 (from .103). Now get the following error.

Log Details (ERROR)

Thu Dec 19 2019 04:12:21 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Unable to connect to Ring service: 403 Client Error: Forbidden for url: https://api.ring.com/clients_api/session

2 Likes

It has nothing to do with home assistant from what I read. There were people reporting this issue before they upgraded to the newest version.

1 Like

Gotcha, I guess that was just when the error started showing up so I associated it with the error. I get Rings need to react to the negative press they have gotten recently which was probably due to poor password management. Hopefully people way way smarter than I will find ways to work within the new Ring software.

Thank you, all. Seems this is not me - it’s ring. I do not have 2FA enabled - yet. I’ve tried changing the password and restart HA, but to no avail.

Oh, well…

Same here. No update to HA. Just restarted and received this error. I think Ring my be locking down it “api” due to recent media coverage.

Interesting that the Hassio Addon for ring alarm still works so these changes so far just seem to be for the main ring component. At least for now this allows all our automations based off door sensors to still work.

ring alarm hassio integration

Ring Alarm Integration! uses https://github.com/tsightler/ring-alarm-mqtt

Also interesting that deadbolts still work via HA so I think the issue is currently just tied to cameras.

I am having same issue with ring in homeassistant since yesterday.
The Homebridge ring integration still works, so there is likely to be a way to fix this in homeassistant.

It does look like they’re locking it down a bit. There’s a lot more rate limiting (429s coming back) and they’re inspecting headers.

I got the error when I restarted Home Assistant after adding a sensor. After I got the error, I opened the Ring app and it asked if I wanted to enable 2FA to which I declined.

Just updated mine to 103.2 and seeing the same issue, inegration broken.

Does anyone know where the source of this sits within HA?

Glad Im using https://github.com/tsightler/ring-alarm-mqtt as it still works properly.

Also HomeBridge-Ring is working properly https://www.npmjs.com/package/homebridge-ring
Although homebridge-ring allows you to use a 2FA Token :slight_smile:

Both of these are based on the Unofficial Ring API

which is constantly updated…

I believe a lot of people are seeing their integrations still work. However they will likely run into the problem if/when they need to refresh their tokens.
This is based on my gut and not on any real knowledge of how the integrations work. For those that have working integrations, I still say “Avoid rebooting or reconfiguration at all costs”.
:man_shrugging:

I agree. Don’t restart Home Assistant until a fix is available if you can avoid it.

The good news is that progress has been made on a fix.

2 Likes

Can confirm. I rebooted and it broke. I tried a bunch of stuff before finding this here.

Yeah I can confirm that before the reboot, the camera worked, but the motion detection stopped. And I know cause I had earlier setup a automation to get Alexa to announce Welcome Home for each Family member i set the trigger as the front door but tied it to two conditions, presence change and motion from the ring camera. And it worked before I left, 4 hours later when I came home with the family waiting to see their reaction and nothing, checked the log and ring motion failed, camera feed was fine as was everything else reboot and now all gone. Has nothing to do with to do with HA or any update. Now I have to change it to motion from the reolink cam instead.
Don’t you just love IOT. :frowning: