💡 Sensor Light - Motion Sensor - Door Sensor - Sun Elevation - LUX Value - Scenes - Time - Light Control - Device Tracker - Night Lights

@the-mentor

This is very strange. Have a look at your door sensor and check if it is going ON and OFF in the developer tools / states / then in set states select you door sensor and then open and close it. You will need to hit the refresh to see the state change.

Yes, I tried this before and it did not work reliably. The Harmony remote sensor is either On or Off depending on the state of the TV and there is a separate sensor that shows what activity is active.
There are two scenarios - 1. The TV is off and someone enters the room and turns the TV on: this works fine with your Blueprint as it prevents the TV from turning off.
2. The TV is on and someone enters the room: this does not work as the TV being on blocks the automation from being triggered. Grouping the remote into the trigger won’t work, as the TV is already on.
The Blueprint I use in the TV rooms has a Turn-off Blocking Entity:

This does what I want in both scenarios, but it does not have all the additional features that yours does :grin:
Also, I’d rather standardise on a single Blueprint.
Thanks.

@sota

I am not familiar with Harmony remote sensor. If your Harmony remote sensor turn ON when the TV is ON and stays ON then if you group it into the trigger, when you turn ON the TV is should turn ON the lights and they should stay ON until the Harmony remote sensor is OFF.

So if you walk into a room the light should turn on with motion. Then if you turn on the TV, and the Harmony remote sensor turns ON (that is grouped with motion sensor as the trigger, must be grouped not added individually) then lights should say ON until you turn OFF your TV, that then turns OFF your Harmony remote sensor and then your motion sensor doesn’t detect motion… lights OFF.

See Grouped trigger Click Here

Edit: You then wouldn’t put the Harmony remote sensor into the by-pass. Just in a group trigger.

I fixed my problem by using light entity rather than devices.
Maybe it needs to explain that in the description.

From what I can recall, I tried this some time ago and it worked, up to a point. I realised this when I went to create the group and it was already there.
Sadly, I can’t remember what the problem was and given that the Blueprint and HA have changed a lot since then, I’ll give it another go.

I’ve just replaced my custom automation with this blueprint as a trial in our family bathroom. We have five GU10 Zigbee bulbs, a Aqara door contact and an Aqara presence sensor plus a generic lux sensor. I have put the door contact and motion sensor in a binary sensor group and use that in your blueprint.

The use case is opening the bathroom door should trigger the lights and the motion sensor keeps the lights on. However, my kids have a bad habit of leaving the door open so the door contact never clears. Short of them learning to be more tidy, is there anything I can do with your blueprint to keep the door sensor within the sensor group and also deal with the door being left open.

I’ve not had chance to monitor it as yet but does the blueprint turn off the lights after 10 minutes of no activity within the binary sensor group - so assuming no motion and the door doesn’t send the closed signal, the binary sensor group will not change for X minutes, is that enough to trigger the timeout?

I was happy to find that I could use my existing helpers (for night start/end and timeout values) within your blueprint by simply enabling YAML mode and putting in the entity names.

Great work!

Not sure I’m really qualified to answer this as all my automations are in their infancy but…

I have my door sensor on a seperate automation. All it does is turn on the light when the contact/door sesnsor changes from closed to open and nothing else. The Sensor Light automation then takes over when to turn off the lights as the motion of the door opening will have triggered the motion sesnor, and hence this automation.

The only issue I could foresee with this is that with the window open, the wind opens the door ever so slightly, enough to trigger the door sensor, but not the motion sensor and hence the light doesn’t switch off until the next person visits the bathroom.

1 Like

@the-mentor

Nice, I will have to remember to ask that question if someone else has the same question as you did. Thanks for letting us know as it will help me help others :+1:.

Already there, see below. :wink:

Glad you got it up and running :partying_face:

1 Like

@sota

Thanks Pat, let us know how you go.

@DJBenson

No :pensive:

Aqara presence sensor ( I think your also calling this you motion sensor) are good for detecting if someone is in the room (better than a PIR sensor) but they can be slow to react. I assume this is why you would like to use the door sensor (if only we could get the kids to close the door). Most people find that when using a presence sensor they also need to have a PIR motion sensor as they react fast or faster than a presence sensor allowing the light to come on fast as you enter the room. Then the presence sensor takes over and keeps the light on as they are very good for detection.

Doing what @fleming164 suggested can work but again it will rely on the door being closed to turn the light on fast as you open it.

I would suggest that maybe consider getting a PIR motion sensor and disregard the door contact sensor. Then group your presence sensor and a PIR motion sensor as the trigger. Your LUX sensor can still be used as a condition if the light should come on or not. Maybe consider getting a PIR motion sensor with a LUX sensors as one unit if that is what your looking for.

If there is no activity and the sensors go to an OFF state, it will then move to the time delay and turn the lights OFF… if there is activity again before the lights turn OFF it will start all over again. If the sensors stay in a ON state the light will remain ON until the sensor goes to a OFF state.

Hay that is good news, nice one :+1:

As I had forgotten what steps I had tried previously to get your Blueprint working with my setup, I started from scratch again. The Harmony remote entities are in the form remote.<room_name> and it’s state is either On or Off. The presence sensor is a binary sensor and it’s state is either Away or Home.
Because of this, I could not create a group sensor combining the two. I tried creating a template so I would end up with two binary sensors and that is where I ran into issues with the Blueprint not triggering correctly on occasion.
Given that Blueprints are supposed to simplify automations and I was just adding complexity, I decided to stick with the current limited but functional one for those three rooms :frowning_face: Perhaps at some stage in the future you will consider adding this feature, but it’s still a great Blueprint! Thanks for your help.

@sota

Hi Pat, before we give up let’s try this.

In you “/config/configuration.yaml” file add the code below. Always good to do a backup first before you start changing files and store it on another computer :wink:

You can change this to what you would like.

• harmony_remote_room1… it could be “harmony_remote_kitchen” or any name you like
  • friendly_name: “Harmony Remote Room 1”… it could be friendly_name: “Harmony Remote Kitchen” or any name you like.

You will also need to put your correct entity id in for your Harmony remote replacing “remote.your_entity_id_here”

If you already have the heading “binary_sensor:” in your “/config/configuration.yaml” file then just put the rest of it under that heading starting from “- platform: template”

Once you have done this and your happy then restart HA.

binary_sensor:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      harmony_remote_room1:
        friendly_name: "Harmony Remote Room 1"
        icon_template: mdi:remote-tv
        value_template: "{{ states('remote.your_entity_id_here') }}" 

This will now add a binary_sensor entity for your remote and just mimic it (same - same with a different domain).

The presence sensor being Away or Home will be

• Away = OFF
  • Home = ON

So that is all good.

Now create a group an put your presence sensor and your new binary sensor “Harmony Remote Room 1” into it. Now add this group only to your trigger sensor. Please follow these steps Click Here

Let us know if this works for you.

PS: You can check the state of your new binary sensor in developer tools / states, select the new binary sensor entity and turn your Harmony remote on and off. It should follow it, remember to click the refresh when you turn it on and off.

Blacky :smiley:

@Blacky This is a really great blue print and i use it in different rooms.

But now i have aszenario or option that is not covered. There are many way to controll the light sun elevation, ambient sensor, time schedule but i did not find a simple boolean option. i have a simple boolean sensor that indicates if it is dark or not but i see no possebility to use it in he blue print.

Did i miss something? if not ih woud be really great if this option will be included in an further version.

Thanks
Thomas

You could add your boolean option to the “Trigger Sensor By-pass” and set the automation to run at all times, regardless of Sun elevation and Lux level. It would depend on whether you boolean is ‘on’ when the sun is up, or ‘on’ when the sun is down I think.

I’m sure @Blacky will be along shortly to confirm whether the above is the best option.

@Dibbler

Hi Thomas

Love it, thanks for your kind words.

Currently there is no option for this.

Could I ask if you would provide more information as it helps me to understand what you are trying to do. How is the boolean sensor know if it is dark or not?

@fleming164 Thanks for the advice. i will check that today and see if it fits my needs. Typically i skiped this option.

@Blacky More information ist not the problem.

The sensor is my Unifi G4 Doorbell. There is an entity is_dark and if the doorbell decides that it is dar it is dark :slight_smile: or the other way round.

My scenario is as follows: In my living room i have no light that could be simply switched on. So i need to use my smartphone. If it is dark it would be niche if one light just glows up and shows the way to the couch where i then use my smartphone. But this should only happen if it is dark.

So the rule is: If the moniton sensor triggers and it is dark remove a little bit of darkness. otherwise do nothing.

There is a smal problem i see now: If my darkness remover (the light in the darkness) is switches off i had to manually switch it on again. Maybe a very simple automation is the solution. I have to thing about it.

Thanks for thinling with me
Thomas

Wow! Just converting from iobroker. And this Blueprint is driving tears to my eyes.

2 Likes

Blacky,

Just stumbled on this Blueprint a week ago, and I’m using it in simple use cases (laundry, bathroom etc). I’m wondering if I can use it for my more complex scenarios. I’ve previously used Node Red (and a State Machine in Node Red) for multiple scenes (garage open: lights red, garage open dark: lights red and white, tv on: blue, TV on dark: blue and white etc). And then there’s the normal motion lighting, and night lighting…etc Do you think this is possible?

The reason I’m wanting to move from Node Red to HA for motion lighting is that I’ve recently bought into the HA dashboard, and I do like to know the time countdown remaining on the motion lights on my dash. In node Red this was easy (placing the countdown on the dash). Is it possible to obtain this countdown (time remaining before lights turn off) in your Blueprint and put on a HA dash?

Is this kind of multiple scenes possible?

@Dibbler

Hi Thomas

Unfortunately currently there is no option for the G4 doorbell to use the darkness setting. Maybe for now if you can use the sun to turn on a light when it’s dark to show the way to the couch. I will put this on the list of suggestions.

1 Like