View All Option in History

The hystory view, filtered and ordered at configutation level was a very very good instrument to monitor the status of all the connected devices with a relative weight on the cpu.
Having lost it with the introduction of this release is a big miss :frowning:

3 Likes

This is amazing. Iā€™ve started using the below card as a permanent replacement for the History Panel and History Graph Card. These features make it a huge improvement:

• Easily recreate the existing History Panel with timelines and graphs. Colors can be transferred over so it looks identical and it can be added to the sidebar to mimic existing panel
  • Duration selector at the top to quickly pick timeframes to view
  • Graphs can be panned by dragging the mouse to show more data (all graphs move together)
  • All dates/times line up vertically, which was is a major nuisance with the existing History Panel
  • Entities can be setup manually in YAML so a default, defined view is always immediately ready (similar to the old History Panel)
  • Entities can be added on the fly using the entity picker drop down (this can be pre-filtered to only those entities that are actually recorded in your database with recordedEntitiesOnly: true)

1 Like

Hi, today I decided to have a go with this history card and no regrets so far. I was waiting for the latest HA Core to be released and check if the History now had the option to see all but entities like before July release but it didnā€™t. I took the opportunity with this history card and optimized once more the sensor data that is recorded into the database, no garbage being stored. Regards, Luis Sismeiro

Me too, I often just wandered into history page just to get an overall glimpse on whole system. What happened, does everything work. Is something on for the whole day that shouldnā€™t be? Did I wrote something wrong, which in turn broke something? You can often notice such stuff looking on previous history page.

Donā€™t implement new features the way it removes already existing one.

2 Likes

rip history page

1 Like

It would be nice to have an option to view all default entities like in the previous version of the history.

I was troubleshooting why an automation wasnā€™t triggering and it turned out one of the phoneā€™s sensors was the problem. The point is, it would have been easier if the sensor entity was easy to find in the history like it was with the previous version. I donā€™t even memorize all the phoneā€™s sensors.

Add an option to show all the entities like in the previous version. Thanks.

2 Likes

OK, looking at you Devs: who made this decision? And WHY?

2022.9ā€¦ and History is still useless. Come on, guys. Are you reading this?

2 Likes

I was going to write something about this also. Who can we address this? How can we escalate the issue and have devs looking at it?

Edit: update the 2022.9 release thread with info to come here and vote if more people are interested.

Thereā€™s no need to talk so ā€œdirtyā€.
HA is free and open source. So, anyone can contribute, most of them in their free time. So, nice thing is to ask politely and wait politely. Itā€™s very ugly and ungratefull to talk low to people who donā€™t get paid.

Yes, you can pay monthly subscription for HA - this way you support developer team, but subscription is voluntary, and with that you DONā€™T automatically buy the rights to demand anything (like i paid for it, now i want this and thatā€¦).

Second: statement:

and History is still useless

is only your opinion. My opinion is quite opposite: itā€™s more usefull than before. I never looked all my several hundreds of entites at the same time and i hated fact that iā€™ve had to wait each time for all entities to open so i could filter out the needed oneā€¦ any why would i look to that messā€¦? I always filter out what i need to see. Thatā€™s why i mentioned above that way better option than ā€œview allā€ is to include wildcards. Entering, say wifi would show all entities including ā€œwifiā€. Thatā€™s way more usefull than ā€œshow allā€.

Last but not least, only poor 74 votes are for reimplenenting ā€œshow allā€. Thatā€™s lower than nothing. Thereā€™s tons of feature requests with hundreds of votes waiting to be implemented. So, i guess that one with only 74 is waaay at the bottom. There are way more important things yet to be done, trust meā€¦

Where to even startā€¦

Dirty? Iā€™m only asking out loud what a lot of other people are also wondering: Who thought this was a good idea?

I donā€™t need to be schooled by you on anything SW engineering since I had a 20-year career as one before managing a $20M IT outsourcing division for a Fortune 100 company. So I do know a little bit about all of this.

Yeah, and I do, and have been since the beginning, along with my support for other OSS developers all over the internet (on this project and others) for the ā€œfreeā€ products I regularly use.

But what you failed to mention (and hereā€™s where I school you) is that FOSS is only as good as the people who use it consider it to be. Otherwise, itā€™s a waste of the developerā€™s time.

As Paulus admits, he started HA as a pet project tinkering with automation. That meager start, along with literally thousands of SW developers whoā€™ve contributed their talents, time and efforts have made HA what it is today, along with (and this part is just as important) the 500,000 OTHER people all over the world who try it, use it, find and report bugs in it, suggest improvements to it, test it, help fellow users, and spread the word. Otherwise, HA would probably be an RPi collecting dust in Paulusā€™ closet. I think itā€™s a good idea that those at the top of the pyramid remind themselves of this from time to time as a project grows.

Itā€™s not quite as simple as the ā€œwe give, now you all be thankful and kiss the ringā€ kind of relationship you (and others) suggest.

yes ā€¦ it is, and Iā€™m free to express it.

Why should the rest of us suffer simply because users like you donā€™t know how to, or worse, choose not to, RTFM and configure your system to be more useful to you? Have you never heard of the History or Recorder configuration options? NONE of us posting here allowed our History panel be clogged up with the thousands of uninteresting entities that devices and HA produces. Those were already being filtered out so that History showed us exactly what we wanted to see every time we opened it, without additional effort EVERY TIME.

Also, the ā€œShow allā€ option being suggested, which you clearly donā€™t understand, isnā€™t to show all the entities, but those that most of us already had filtered out by correctly configuring our systems using Recorder or History, or a combination of the two.

We simply want that existing functionality that weā€™ve had to be returned to us. The code already exists, so nothing has to be ā€œre-implementedā€. It was discussed quite a bit in the #beta discussions before it was released and the last two Release Notes comments, and the Devs have remained mute about it. Maybe somebody is working on it, maybe not. But we donā€™t know and nobody is saying. I didnā€™t see it in the Dev tree, but Iā€™m hoping I missed it.

Way more important thingsā€¦? Like what, adding two ā€œneatā€ not-very-useful moving charts to the Hardware page that most of us already have implemented in a card using existing functionality where we donā€™t have to wait 5 minutes to see, you guessed it, 5 minutes of history of our CPU and Memory usage? You mean important stuff like THAT? That kind of duplication of effort and functionality is disconcerting. Maybe I should rethink that $5/mo going to Nabu Casa every month.

And youā€™ll have to forgive me if I donā€™t just ā€œtrust youā€¦ on thatā€.

1 Like

Oh, dearā€¦
you could just ask politely and all would be very different.
I give upā€¦

Hi, this is the important part regarding this ā€œfeature requestā€, to have the previous pre-2022.7 release behavior that some of us fine tuned and spent time perfecting. History worked flawlessly every time in whichever browser or interface we used to access HA. Maybe the problem here was the submission as a ā€œfeature requestā€, maybe it should have been a bug report since the previous functionality is not working anymore according to the documentation.

1 Like

Sadly, this issue was discussed in some detail in the 2022.7 beta prior to release. You can check it out on the Home Assistant #beta channel on Discord on 6/30. Based on the discussions, it appears Zack Barrett spearheaded the changes to History. After some push back, he did concede

Iā€™m not against adding a button/checkbox to show all eventually but I donā€™t think it will make this release with the time we have left. I dont want to add something that selects all and turns the UI completely uselessā€¦

I guess some of us have different definitions of ā€œuselessā€. In that discussion, ā€œAllā€ was clearly defined as a return to previous behavior, not every single entity which was, apparently, what uninitiated users were seeing and unhappy with.

1 Like

History Explorer Card. For those of us who prefilter our data by specifying entities in configuration history: the history explorer card is the way to go. Iā€™ve replaced the now useless history panel with history explorer and wonā€™t be going back. Thanks to Alex for this ā€˜historicā€™ contribution to HA.

1 Like

Hi, I use it myself but is not the same for me at least. I use it as a workaround for the missing all entities capability since 2022.7 update. If I use the way I used the History is too slow in my browser, takes forever to fill the page. Believe it or not, with the History before 2022.7 update I didnā€™t had the issue.

Still missing in 2022.10.2

Since there is this WTH Month campaign, I just voted here also:
WTH is there not an option on the History page to view all entities? - Month of ā€œWhat the heck?!ā€ - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

2 Likes

Iā€™m losing hope regarding thisā€¦ Itā€™s the way it is, we can not always rely on the features you use, they may be removed one release or the other unfortunately.

1 Like

what Zack meant was, that the toggle to show all would be simple probably, but in the current state of the view, it would also show a button for all of those entities. rendering it in fact uselessā€¦

too bad indeed we didnt see any followup on the matter btw, I never looked back to be honest, and when I need it I check the history-explorer card for the few entities I do need

Sure, because the current entity bubbles are a complete waste of space.There was nothing wrong with the way it worked before, except to the user unwilling to put in a little effort. Instead of fixing the default ā€œshow allā€ that lazy users complained about, they decided to force you to pick your entities one at a time, the opposite of the way the rest of us had to filter the default ā€œshow allā€ list ever since History became a thing in HA.

Plus, the code already exists, and it should be trivial to NOT display those useless bubbles when a user selects ALL (to display what is defined in Recorder/History YAML). But it appears somebody, somewhere isnā€™t willing to admit they were wrong.

Thatā€™s the most disappointing part for me. The bigger Nabu Casa gets, the less of a community Home Assistant feels to me. I now approach upgrades with a feeling of dread of whatā€™s not going to work any longer rather than with the sense of excitement I used to feel. I donā€™t even beta test any more. I feel a lot of feedback on anything but bugs is ignored out of hand.

2 Likes