Weber iGrill 2 integration with Lovelace UI

Thanks for the integration. I had fun setting up.

I have a Weber Pulse 2000 and I’m curious as to what to expect from data output (probe 1 connected):

2021-07-27 13:53:09,056 Pulse2000 DEBUG: Published temp: {1: 18.0, 2: False, 3: False, 4: False} and battery: 100.0 to topic outside/Pulse2000

From my understanding igrillv3 is fully integrated into the Pulse 2000 BBQ. Therefore the battery will always return 100%.

There are 4 probes. But I would have expected a 5th probe temperature for the grill itself?

devices:
  - name:                   'Pulse2000'              # Unique name of the device
    type:                   'pulse_2000'             # Supported devices: igrill_mini, igrill_v2, igrill_v3, pulse_2000

You should have the “outside/Pulse2000/heating_element” as well. It has two temperature zones ( on the pulse 2000 itself you can see only one) the output is like this ‘025 032 000 000’. The first three numbers are for the first zone, the second three numbers are for the second zone. I don’t know what the last numbers are for.

With the new Bluetooth updates in 2022.8 would this be a candidate for an easier integration into HA?

5 Likes

I’m also interested. I believe this may be possible with Bluetooth Proxy in the future as in the Home Assistant 2022.9 release notes it mentions that for the time being the proxy works for passive connections only, and it looks like the iGrill probes need an active connection, which will be supported in the future.
I might be wrong though as I’m not an expert, hopefully someone else can comment.

1 Like

How are people handling the issue when bluetooth goes down? As an example, right now I have my igrill sensor probes shut off as well as the Pi, yet the states still have the last temperature reading. This is very deceiving when doing a cook, and the bluetooth loses connectivity and I am viewing old temperature’s. How is everyone dealing with this? Thanks

I know this doesn’t help solve your problem, but it’s one of the many reasons I avoid bluetooth devices when there are alternatives.

check for “sensor last updated” time…create an automation that notifies you if the weber sensor hasn’t updated in two (or whatever you want) minutes.

eg…one discussion: Sensor - last updated monitor - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

I figured out how to do i. I added a an expire_after value in seconds. Seems to have done the trick so after 5 minutes of no mqtt the state changes to unavailable.

mqtt:
  sensor:
    - name: "Probe 1"
      state_topic: "bbq/grill/probe1"
      qos: 0
      unit_of_measurement: "°F"
      expire_after: 300

Hi. Since it looks like many of you were using my project (GitHub - bendikwa/igrill: Hacking the iGrill (mini, V2, V3 & Pulse 2000)) to connect your IGrills to Home Assistant, I would just like to let you know that I have archived it today. The reason is that I have not had the time to follow it up properly the last couple of years, and a lot of the code was not optimal.
Instead, I have made a custom component to ESPHome to do the same. GitHub - bendikwa/esphome-igrill: ESPHome Custom Component for the iGrill Bluetooth Thermometers
Hopefully this is both more stable, and easier to use. (requires an ESP32 to connect to the IGrill)

Feel free to fork the igrill repo if you want to keep it alive.

-Bendik

3 Likes

Nice, will give it a crack with my v2 and let you know how it goes…

Also, in your config example you have “IGill” :rofl:

1 Like

:man_facepalming: Fixed now. Tnx.

I can confirm it works with the v2. The one thing I see is that it sends the readings with a celcius symbol even though my igrill is set to fahrenheit and my reading are in fahrenheit. Given that my HA instance is set to imperial it thinks it needs to convert the reading to fahrenheit for me, which it doesn’t, since they already are in that scale. Any way to make that a config? I just have the one probe plugged in for this example, and it is not quite that warm in my study :slight_smile:
Screenshot 2022-12-13 at 11.12.19 AM

Yes, I know. Automatic detection if measurement unit is on my list.
The only place I have set Celcius is here: esphome-igrill/sensor.py at 0f79792fa3719867da7bcbcbf85188ee7ba76bbf · bendikwa/esphome-igrill · GitHub
Does it help to add unit_of_measurement: "°F" to the probes?
Like this for each probe:

temperature_probe1:
      name: "v2 temp 1"
      unit_of_measurement: "°F"

ref.

1 Like

That did the trick. Works perfectly!!! Thank you for all your work on this over the years. I continue to use it frequently with my Traeger. While I have updated my Traeger I am still using my trusty igrill v2. Given the debacle Traeger had with their app on Thanksgiving where you could not log in, the igrill and this integration saved my turkey. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Great. Added it to the README and example conf now.
Thanks for testing.

1 Like

Tried it with v3 iGrill. Loosing connection very often. Got one reading and then lost connection again. After several attempts to reconnect, I get another reading. But with very strange measurements. 6534,00 C

This is great, thank you.

That’s weird. My V3 works great.
What HW are you using?
And does the logs give any hints to what might be failing?

The igrill component does not disconnect anywhere, so this might be an issue between the HW (ESP32) and ESPHome…

I just fixed a bug where the unplugged probes could get weird values. If you got the 6534,00 C value on the ones that did not have a probe, this might have been the issue.

The fix is on the main branch. I have a couple of other bugs to fix before I make a release.

Does anyone know if the new (active scanning) Bluetooth integration works with iGrill?

I have connected the 202 version to the ESP implementation and that is working. Thank you very much!

On first and second try, it was not working. Then I connected back to the weber app, disabled Bluetooth on my phone and then tried to connect it to the ESP32 and that worked. Now every time I start the thermometer it connects to the EPS32 without problems.

1 Like