Windows 10 can't access HASSIO through Samba

try this

1 Like

Hi all,

I had the issue that I couldn’t access HA from my laptop anymore, no file haring stuff and not even the web interface. Enabled SMB1 but still nogo.
Today I deinstalled Nord VPN, and look and behold, it’s working again…

if you see the HA in the Network, do this in the windows folder path-line:
\\192.168.xx.xx\ <- your IP from HA
a Popup with Username and PW comming.

this is the Problem from “Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE”… you need the login.

workgroup: HERETHENAMEFROMETHEGROUP
username: homeassistant
password: homeassistant
interface: ''
allow_hosts:
  - 10.0.0.0/8
  - 172.16.0.0/12
  - 192.168.0.0/16
  - 192.168.xxx.0/16 <- the IP from all
  - 192.168.xxx.xxx <- the IP from Laptop
  - 'fe80::/10'
veto_files:
  - ._*
  - .DS_Store
  - Thumbs.db
  - icon?
  - .Trashes
compatibility_mode: true
guest: false

if you dont see the HA in Network, go an active the SMB File Sharing Support in Windows 10.

I had trouble with this until I looked at the log file and one of the comments from about 18 months ago about putting the address into Explorer in Windows with the \\name format.

The log file told me the name it was broadcasting which was “homeassistant”… so after restarting Samba I entered \\homeassistant into Explorer, and was asked for the credentials in the Samba config file - and I was away.

I had been expecting it to come up in Network… but I have now pinned it to Quick Access - I could also map a network drive for the config folder I guess.

4 Likes

For me disabling IPv6 in Windows 10 and (thanks to @Steve61) the call via

\\homeassistant

worked quite reliable.

2 Likes

just a FYI this helped me connect

I have just gone through multiple threads, and as of MAY 2021, I am able to get into the HOMEASSISTANT network folder on WIN10 (OS Build 19042.985) by doing the following:
-enabling SMB 1.0 in optional features
-using the following configuration in HA/Samba (add your computer logon data, remove the +, make sure you have the apostrophe surrounding the password field):

workgroup: WORKGROUP
username: +your Windows logon user+
password: +‘your Windows logon password’+
allow_hosts:

• ‘*’
    veto_files:
  • ._*
  • .DS_Store
  • Thumbs.db
  • icon?
  • .Trashes
    compatibility_mode: false

It seems Windows is too stupid to prompt you with a logon window, and just blindly uses your Windows username and password. I found no way to actually fix this behavior, so you just have to set Samba in HA to use the same login info. Stupid…

It always prompts me for the creds…

Works perfectly without SMB 1.0. Activating SMB 1.0 is strongly discouraged anyway.

Maybe you didn’t create a username and password to log into Samba in the first place?

sudo smbpasswd -a USERNAME_OF_YOUR_CHOICE
sudo service smbd restart

I´m running HA 2016.6.2 and Windows 10 21H1. After uppdating Samba to 9.5.0 I couldn’t reach the network folder. Replaced username and password in Samba config to my Windows credentials and boom I´m in. Previously I had a Samba username and password in the samba config but that didn´t work anymore. HOWEVER I did not enable SMB 1.0.

I’ve solved this by adding the credentials to Windows 10 to access HA Samba.

To do this:

• Control panel.
  • User accounts.
  • Windows credentials admin.
  • Add Windows credential.
    Address: 192.168…
    Username: whatever
    Password: whatever

This works for me.

6 Likes

I solved it with the following command in command promp

open command promp (windows+r type in cmd and enter)

Type the following command and press enter:
net use \\homeassistant /user:[USERNAME] [PASSWORD]

eg

net use \\homeassistant /user:homeassistant password123

You should get the response: The command completed succesfully

Then goto your explorer and open \\homeassistant

11 Likes

I’ve been struggling with this problem for months and this solved it for me. Thank you!

Previously to this I found that some of my Windows 10 machines connected to home assistant samba without issue, prompting me for credentials, whilst others failed to connect without prompting me for credentials. This would appear in the log:

Registered MSG_REQ_POOL_USAGE
check_ntlm_password:  Authentication for user [[email protected]] -> [[email protected]] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER, authoritative=1
===============================================================
INTERNAL ERROR: Signal 11: Segmentation fault in pid 300 (4.13.8)
If you are running a recent Samba version, and if you think this problem is not yet fixed in the latest versions, please consider reporting this bug, see https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Bug_Reporting
===============================================================
PANIC (pid 300): Signal 11: Segmentation fault in 4.13.8
unable to produce a stack trace on this platform
coredump is handled by helper binary specified at /proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern

I was not able to change the username in settings to my windows email address as this caused an invalid character error and the plugin would fail to start.

I had tried enabling SMB 1.0 along with a variety of other miscellaneous registry voodoo recommended in this and other similar threads.

Running this command was the first and only solution that worked. Thanks again!

1 Like

I’ve been using net use to connect to all of my network devices for years. Windows is hopeless for maintaining network connections between boots.

I basically have a batch file that runs when Windows starts.

1 Like

thanks for the solution

1 Like

I’ve been having the same problem and have just solved it by opening Credential Manager in Windows and manually adding a Windows credential.
Used \IPaddress and the username and password I set in Samba. Like others on here it seems Windows doesn’t prompt for the username/password

1 Like

This worked for me, Thanks!!!

Ein Installationsvideo für Windows 11 findet ihr hier

https://youtu.be/GV5fSJ9f5bg

Thanks for that, it’s works for me and help me a lot. easy and quick.

you can also try adding sambas homeassistant hostname to your host file. eg 192.168.254.40 HOMEASSISTANT
just add that to host file and change the ip to your home assistant ip, then delete credentials and try again to connect to HOMEASSISTANT

1 Like