Working USB enclosures and adapters with HassOS

EVERYONE!!

This post is a WIKI post.

That means if you have good personal information about some USB hardware and can categorize it into one of the 3 categories, please post the name here with a link to the device.
It is meant for the community to edit the top postt with new information…

Known Good

These are adapters that work “out of the box”

• StarTech USB3S2SAT3CB
  • Unitek USB3.0 M.2 SSD (NGFF/SATA) Aluminium Enclosure Model: Y-3365 (Below)
  • Argon40 cooling and M.2 enclosure (Below)
  • IB-RD2253-U31 (Below)
  • GeeekPi DeskPi Pro V2 2.5’’ SATA HDD/SSD NAS Storage Kit (Below)
  • Renkforce USB/mSATA-Converter Shield (Below)
  • SSD to USB 3.0 Cable for Raspberry Pi (Below)

Known Problematic

These are adapters that don’t work by default, but can be made to work

Known Bad

These adapters don’t work, and don’t appear to be able to be made to work

• Sabrent EC-SSHD sata/SSD to usb 3 (Below)

From e-raser (Below)…

There already is a public page collecting many (dozens) adapters and sorting them to the “good” or “bad” side. If I could only find that page again…
Best Working SSD / Storage Adapters - Raspberry Pi 4 / 400.

3 Likes

quick note on the Sabrent, I am not sure how to implement the fix in HassOS since it uses U-Boot and I don’t know if that uses the cmdline.txt noted in the fix. This fix was for Raspberry OS booting from SSD, HomeAssistant in my scenario core container which was way down stream of issue. So definitely problematic!

I have been up and running since the release of DEV build 5.0 a week ago and am using a Kingston A400 120GB SSD and Startech USB 3.0 to 2.5" SATA cable w/UASP.
I have noticed the Pi4 CPU Frequency fluctuating quite a bit (random drops in freq, trying to sort it out) but running smooth overall and doesn’t seem to impact the performance. It is in a Canakit case with fan and the temp averages 43-45C household temp is about 22C.

EDIT: Update to 113.3 appeared to smooth the Frequency fluctuation.

I needed a new sd card since one of mine bit it. A guy was selling pny 120gb ssd’s for $8 a pop on eBay so I picked one of those up instead. I also grabbed a startech cable on Amazon. Even if the ssd turns out to be poop, I’m willing to roll the dice for $8.

I’ll dive into the ssd boot deep end when it arrives.

Necro edit: this combo works out of the box for me:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HJZJI84/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Unitek USB3.0 M.2 SSD (NGFF/SATA) Aluminium Enclosure Model: Y-3365
Works out of the box.

Running Dev 5.2 on two Rpi4-4GB set up with the same enclosure/SSD and have been running solid than any other OS setup I have tried.

usb 2-2: new SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=2109, idProduct=0715, bcdDevice= 3.28
usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 2-2: Product: VLI Product String
usb 2-2: Manufacturer: VLI Manufacture String
usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 000000123ACD
scsi host0: uas
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access WDC WDS1 20G2G0B-00EP UI50 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 234455040 512-byte logical blocks: (120 GB/112 GiB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 2f 00 00 00
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn’t support DPO or FUA
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Optimal transfer size 33553920 bytes
sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

Unitek SolidForce PCIe/NVMe M.2 SSD 10Gbps Enclosure Lite Model Number: S1203ABK
Worked but I only did a test install with it am not using it for HAOS.

usb 2-2: new SuperSpeed Gen 1 USB device number 2 using xhci_hcd
usb 2-2: New USB device found, idVendor=0bda, idProduct=9210, bcdDevice=30.00
usb 2-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=3
usb 2-2: Product: RTL9210
usb 2-2: Manufacturer: Realtek
usb 2-2: SerialNumber: 012345679030
usb 2-2: Enable of device-initiated U1 failed.
usb 2-2: Enable of device-initiated U2 failed.
usb 2-2: Enable of device-initiated U1 failed.
usb 2-2: Enable of device-initiated U2 failed.
scsi host0: uas
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access Realtek RTL9210 NVME 1.00 PQ: 0 ANSI: 6
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] 976773168 512-byte logical blocks: (500 GB/466 GiB)
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write Protect is off
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Mode Sense: 37 00 00 08
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Write cache: enabled, read cache: enabled, doesn’t support DPO or FUA
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Optimal transfer size 33553920 bytes
sda: sda1 sda2 sda3 sda4 sda5 sda6 sda7 sda8
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI disk

Been up and running with a Argon40 cooling and M.2 enclosure in Home Assistant OS dev5.6 for a couple of weeks now.
Some configuration is needed to get the fan working (connects via i2c) so it runs at different levels depending on temperature and turns off at lower temps, but it also just runs at 100% if you don’t set it up and it’s quite quiet.
The SATA SSD hums along nicely, UAS works properly and it doesn’t seem to generate much heat (cpu temps are pretty similar to when I had the Pi in the previous cooling-only version of the case).
Uses an ASMedia Technologies ASM1153E USB to SATA chip, which has mainline Linux kernel support.
Accepts B and B+M key SATA SSDs

If you already have the cooling case, you can buy just the M.2 portion to replace the bottom panel of the existing case, I re-bought the whole case so I could get full size HDMI ports on the A/V board, and the auto-on feature so you don’t need to use the power button to turn on after a power failure, since I had the launch version of the cooling case. Later revisions of the cooling case let you enable auto-on via i2cset commands, so you may not need that

1 Like

Does someone have experiences with https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07D2BHVBD ?

According to https://jamesachambers.com/raspberry-pi-4-usb-boot-config-guide-for-ssd-flash-drives/comment-page-18/#comment-7379

…it should work, but I had lots of troubles when trying to move from SD to SSD with this case on a Pi 4 and HASS OS 5.12 and switched back to SD after 4 hours of trying.

May I add my findings of the Sabrent EC-SSHD sata/SSD to usb 3 as a KNOWN BAD.

It is a really good idea to have this list. Perhaps make it more ‘public’ as it is not just home-assistant related.

This initially indicates it might be working but it turns out to be incredibly slow. Amazingly if you plug into a USB 2 port it works faster.

Sabrent have an online firmware update software for Microsoft windows. It detected and updated the software and it was still rubbish. Just look up Sabrent firmware update.

1 Like

If it is working faster on USB2, it sounds like it has badly implemented USB-Attached-SCSI protocol… Look up UAS Quirks and give the workaround you find a try, and see if it performs better. From memory you get a lot of messages containing the string “uas” in dmesg when it’s occurring, but it’s been a loooooong time since I had a device with that sort of issue.
If that is the issue, once you apply the quirks workaround you get much better performance. Not as good as if UAS was implemented properly by the manufacturer but much much better than USB2 or a SD card

Well,
just like to share my experience too, because I’m running a more exotic setup:

I do have I IB-RD2253-U31 RAID enclosure with 2x SanDisk SSD PLUS 240GB in a RAID1 configuration in combination with an ODROID N2+.

So far it works like a charm.

There already is a public page collecting many (dozens) adapters and sorting them to the “good” or “bad” side. If I could only find that page again…

Update: here it is. Specifically for Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

Hi, I have just converted my HA over to run on a usb adaptor containing an 256GB NVME card. The adaptor is just a generic one from China (where else), but I was surprised just how easy the whole operation was. The system now runs like the wind compared to how it ran on the SD card.

I think this topic gets way too little attention to get my 1,5 year old question ever answered :laughing:

Still on SD card. :frowning:

I switched to GeeekPi DeskPi Pro about 6 months ago. It really made a big difference! All of my wires are cleaned up and makes less noise with the heat sink and fan rather than the always on fan for the Raspberry Pi. It even has a SSD slot so I don’t need to have it laying outside of the box.

GeeekPi DeskPi Pro V2 2.5’’ SATA HDD/SSD NAS Storage Kit, Raspberry Pi Set-Top Box with ICE Tower Cooler & Power Supply for Raspberry Pi 4 Model B https://a.co/d/0NzwEp7

Pair it with this and you’re set: (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻┻ DeskPi Pro Active Cooling and Front USB ports

1 Like

The Argon One is more popular, but the desk pi provides better cooling, less technical challenges, and is quieter.

To add another good experience to the list: I originally bought a Renkforce USB/mSATA-Converter Shield for my Pi3b, but before I set it up got my hand on a Pi4b instead. The Pi4 runs in a passive-cooled Flirc case (temperature usually between 40 and 44 celsius), and the renkforce board sits on a self-cut acrylic board on top of the flirc, with a cover over it, and works really fine with the Pi4. Connected it to a USB2 connector, and used a transcend 128gb msata SSD in the adapter board.

Surprised this one is not listed already… or maybe it is under another brand name. Chinese clones can be such a headache to deal with.

it can really suck navigating some place like AliExpress these days. I’ve seen “supposedly” the exact same product have a 15 to 20 dollar difference when the higher priced one is say, 40 dollars. You know something isn’t right there. What sucks is good Chinese manufactures exist and they primarily use Linux because it’s free. That doesn’t automatically mean it will have good HA support on a pi but it sure doesn’t hurt when it’s not a rip off of someone selling a quality product that’s well engineered and already very fairly priced already.