YET another take on an alarm system

Sorry mate, but I cannot offer you any help if you are using the original bwalarm component simply because I have no write access to its codebase.

I can only help if you are using this fork of the original bwalarm.

Generally, it’s advised to open an issue on Github in cases like yours and not to post it here (especially in this topic).
Looking at your errors, it’s most likely this issue that has already been fixed, just update your component.

1 Like

thanks so much, i was unaware of the new fork :wink: i haven’t played with my setup for ages and just tried an update. managed to sort all other errors but was unable to sort this. but i will try your recommendation and try that fork. kind regards Steve

I sorted my issue with this commit

just in case it helps anyone else using mqtt in bwalarm.yaml.
Thanks for your work :slight_smile:

1 Like

Is it possible to link directly to the alarm panel, without needing to go through HA?

I’m setting hp a dashboard on an old ipad which won’t load the panel if I go through HA. I’m hoping a direct link will help?

Try something like http://hassio.local:8123/alarm

Thanks Ahmad. That link still takes me through lovelace. I think the problem may be with the old iPad more than anything else as it doesn’t play well with any custom components anymore.

Lol ahmadk. Thats easy. Had it on my todo list to figure this out when I hang up my tablet. For me that link works perfectly. Thanks

I don’t know what’s wrong because it’s just a webpage and it has nothing to do with Lovelace…
Could you post a screenshot when you type in this URL (including the address line)?

There’s not much to see when I go to the link on the ipad.

I see the sidebar with “Alarm” highlighted and then the area to the right is just plain white. Address bar shows http://192.168.1.8:8123/alarm

I’m pretty sure the problem is with the old ipad not using an up to date browser - and no way to update it…

have you ever been able to see that alarm panel or you’re just trying to use this old iPad and it doesn’t work for all custom components?
does it work for the parts of the Lovelace interface?

I’ve never been able to get this alarm panel to show on there.
The lovelace interface works fine for stock components, however, custom components do not work. I do remember reading somewhere that this is due to the browser not being updated by apple - all 3rd party browsers still rely on the apple part of it to function.

Not to worry though as through tileboard (the dash that I am using) I can use an alarm tile and that will allow me to arm/disarm.

The reason I really wanted to use the usual bwalarm page is because it handles open sensors better. On tileboard I get no feedback as to why the alarm did not arm if there is open sensors, whereas with the bwalarm page it tells me and allows me to bypass.

It takes care of open sensors, can show a list of open sensors etc. Yes, that’s because it was designed long before Lovelace and hugely relied upon its own interface.
It’s not so dependent now, but still to get the most of the alarm one need to use its own web panel.

Out of curiosity, what iPad is it?

It’s a 4th generation. Limited to IOS 10.3.3

Regarding the open sensors on arm - if I attempt to arm does the panel give any feedback to HA or change anything in the state to show that the arm did not take place? If so I’ll be able to use that in node red to prompt that the alarm did not arm.

I enquired about that and the fronted guys pointed me to this

It works the other way round - generally the panel just displays the alarm’s state and specifically, when one tries to set the alarm, the panel checks for open sensors (asking for override/cancel if needed) and then calls a service to arm. The only feedback is a change of the alarm’s state.

I’ve been able to somewhat replicate this using node red.

When I attempt to arm using my tileboard interface a “call_service” event with “alarm_arm_[mode]” is sent to the HA event bus. I am then monitoring for this in node red and if following this the alarm is still in the disarmed state it will then show a popup alert on tileboard.

Now for the next piece of the puzzle. What do I send to the “alarm_set_ignore_open_sensors” service to set true/false?
Can you please also confirm that if I activate this and arm with open sensors if they are closed and re-opened it will trigger as normal?

You need to call this service to change ignore_open_sensors configuration variable. It’s documented here

However, it is not available if you use this integration. It is only available with that one.
Its discussion topic is here

it should. roughly, the alarm reacts on any registered sensor’s state change from ‘off’ to ‘on’

Perfect, thank you for your help. I am using the other component…just got the wrong topic here

I’m migrating from an old HA instance (which wouldn’t upgrade, so I’m having to do it manually :nauseated_face:). Getting a few errors in the logs

[init_variables] persistence: path "/config/resources/bwalarm" does not exist

[load_yaml] Error loading file "/config/resources/bwalarm/bwalarm.yaml": [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/config/resources/bwalarm/bwalarm.yaml'

Any ideas why this might be? I’ve deleted the old Alarm custom component and reinstalled with HACS

EDIT: Actually looks like as soon as some logs get generated that error might go away? The current problem is this:

ds

EDIT 2 For some reason I don’t even appear to have a config/resources folder.

Thanks

The issue is these two components are not the same, you’ve installed a diffrent component (and it has a different file structure).
This topic relates to the former component that is currently not supported.

The latter one lives there.
To report issues with it you need to go there.
To read more about it check out the Github docs and an appropriate topic (but please use Github if you have issues and don’t post them in the topic).

Hello,

After following your guide for install I get an error stating the integration bwalarm not available. Am I missing a step somewhere? I checked permissions and such, but no luck. I am setup on HA in a VENV.

This forum is abandoned and there is no reason to ask here for anything (especially if you have an issue - Github is the right place).
Please read this.