ZWAVE2MQTT add-on simple tutorial(addon is DEPRECATED)

Yes, followed the topic start guide. Turned it on. Going to give it a new try later today. Perhaps i made a different kind of mistake.

Maybe you have an error in your MQTT setup.

I have no issues with zigbee2mqtt. That runs just fine. So that is all ok. It’s just zwave2mqtt giving issues. Although I see all devices with MQTT explorer. So, I guess the problem is, is that the entities are not added to Hass.

Ok, found my problem. I did not use the topic prefix homeassistant. I used zwave2mqtt as topic prefix. That doesn’t seem to work.

1 Like

This was the trick for me too. It seems zwave2mqtt sets the discovery prefix to the mqtt prefix if left blank. I set the discovery prefix to homeassistant and now things are working splendidly.

I had a lot of issues trying to get Z-wave 2 MQTT working nicely with home-assistant v0.105.4 (HA). Nothing was being populated within HA. Therefore my working config and architecture setup. Oops not yet :thinking: :persevere: :crazy_face:… see experience update. Justmy2cents: go for zigbee and forget Z-Wave entirely…

Note: all my usb sensor sticks were originally on my HA node, but after installing a fire resistant door, signal was not optimal anymore. And I was truly fed up with waiting on my z-wave entries returning after a restart/update/upgrades of my HA node.

Experience update

• After restart of Home-Assistant … :unamused: .bloody :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:… entries are returning back as “unavailable”. Excerpt:
    Anybody?
  • Restarting the zwave2mqtt docker is solving the “unavailable” entries. But why of why do I need to restart a docker container on another computer node after I restart HA? Something broke with the mosquitto broker addon vs HA vs zwave2mqtt? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:. What does HA do in the background? Do I need to fire a service call or something?

Caveats

• As I started out with HA Z-wave integration, all entries had to be completely reconfigured via the zwave2mqtt route.
  • The open z-wave dashboard config - specifically: name and location - of the various entries is crucial later on, so be sure to config them beforehand. In other words, my solution was to temporarily disable the mosquitto broker.

versus the mosquitto broker
    versus home-assistant

Overview architecture

Openzwave2mqtt

To have the link of Z-Wave to MQTT in the sidebar, copy & paste & config the following to configuration.yaml

panel_iframe:
  zwave2mqtt:
    title: Z-Wave to MQTT
    icon: mdi:z-wave
    url: http://<ip-adress or hostname>:8091

References

1 Like

Do you guys have a working assosiciation setup? I`m running my z-wave network with 2 sticks, one connected to HomeSeer and one connected to Zwave2MQTT. But i cannot get the association to work.

When i look at OZW_Log.txy

I see the following log rules

root@mini:/home/homeassistant/Zwave2Mqtt/store# tail -f OZW_Log.txt | grep -i Node018
2020-02-24 00:32:06.731 Detail, Node018,   Received: 0x01, 0x0b, 0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x12, 0x03, 0x20, 0x01, 0x00, 0xb3, 0x00, 0x73
2020-02-24 00:32:06.731 Info, Node018, Received Basic set from node 18: level=0.  Sending event notification.
2020-02-24 00:32:06.731 Detail, Node018, Notification: NodeEvent

2020-02-24 00:32:18.756 Detail, Node018,   Received: 0x01, 0x0b, 0x00, 0x04, 0x00, 0x12, 0x03, 0x20, 0x01, 0xff, 0xb3, 0x00, 0x8c
2020-02-24 00:32:18.757 Info, Node018, Received Basic set from node 18: level=255.  Sending event notification.
2020-02-24 00:32:18.757 Detail, Node018, Notification: NodeEvent

But the status is not send to MQTT or to HA (need to debug further)

Node018 is a Fibaro Dual Relay switch where S1 is also triggering O2 using a automation on HomeSeer (which needs to be migrated to HomeAssistant) but the notify to HA is not working as it seems. Although it has worked some time.

Maybe it is just a bug i`m hitting?

Which one is the Primary Controller for the Z-Wave network?

See if you can switch from Basic messages to something else on the device config.

I’m about ready to jump on board with this. I have MQTT running on a separate RPi and understand I just need to point to it, but when I go through the instructions they say " Firstly you need to install [Open-Zwave] library on your system", but in this thread nobody has mentioned it.

Do I need to install Open-Zwave on my MQTT RPi?

Thanks, in advance, for the guidance

Thank you, @jocnnor for helping me out and clarifying why I could not get this to work in the customize.yaml file.

This:

binary_sensor.*_contact:
  icon: mdi:walk
  device_class: motion

… need to go in the customize_glob: section in configuration.yaml, or in a separate customize_glob.yaml file if you prefer using the include statement:

homeassistant:
  customize_glob: !include customize_glob.yaml

Put the custom entry into configuration.yaml like this:

homeassistant:
  customize: !include customize.yaml
  customize_glob:
    "binary_sensor.*_contact":
      icon: mdi:walk
      device_class: motion
1 Like

I got it working! Thank you for the guide. My devices show up; although, they have no names identified, but I cannot see them in MQTT. Does it take a while (I have 8 devices)? Do I have to identify them first before MQTT will add them?

I’ve connected a neo coolcam motion sensor to this addon and the temperature and light are working perfectly. However, the motion events aren’t. Does anybody else have the same problem?

Have you found a solution for this?

If I set a Location in ZWave panel, is that meant to carry through to an HA Area? It is not in my case, wondering if there is a config or process step to enable it.

no, location in zwave2mqtt is only meant to be used for the mqtt topic name, independent of home assistant locations. You still have to manually assign your devices to home assistant locations

I don’t understand. in my config panel everything is empty but in mqtt integration it all got:
nodeID_24 - FIBARO System - FGD212 Dimmer 2 (0x1000) - No area - MQTT
so here I can see that the device is a dimmer. how is that posible?
after an hour everything was populated and now it’s empty again…

Hi All,

Can someone tell me how to handle it.
Zwave2Mqtt in HA have a “Start on Boot” must this enabled or disabled after I start it manual?
Reason I ask,

when is restart HA, all my nodes are not available … When I push the buttons of de power plugs they come up, also for the motion sensors. I tought HA leave Z2M alone and start itself and Wave nodes are working again, because they not startup with HA.

So I got it running and installed… works but a LOT of questions… let’s start with the first 3:

1. Can I update this?

2. It seems I can set parameters as I am used in Vera
    But where can I do this? I have a test device like this one:
    I should be able to add/change parameters below configuration?

3.I have an issue… my device is unavailable in hass after restart of hass:

After pressing

REDISCOVER NODE

they are back:

What is causing this?

This holds me back MAJORLY because I am not sure what happens with 50 devices included… will I have to do this 50x after each hass reboot ?!

Hi!

I’ve installed Zwave2mqtt because so far… I wasn’t able to get OpenZwave-qt working because i’m using external mqtt broker (in docker image) and openzwave daemon seems to need the addon… . But i’m struggling to add a thermostat on Zwave2mqtt as well…

I have performed SRT-323 inclusion without any issues and in the Zwave2mqtt webpage, i have everything i need for the thermostat. I can even change the temperature set point on the interface which change the temperature on the thermostat after the wake-up interval.

But i can’t have the thermostat on the Hass webpage. I have read the github readme page regarding the thermostat but:

• When i add any json configuration like this:

and then click sur Add, nothing happens… even after clicking on “rediscover node”

• On the other hand, reading the readme file tells that I can specify custom devices configuration inside "store/customDevices(.js|.json) which i can’t find on my homeassistant folder.

I am on Raspbian and Hass is installed via docker but i don’t think it changes much…