Australia - Electrically Certified Hardware

Has anyone tried to get the Brilliant Smart Double Plug working with ESPHome ?? I have a $10 voucher to waste at JB’s and with that these are a reasonable price.

I also have a use for 2 switched outlets in one location in the shed for turning off power tool battery chargers so this would be a good fit.

These are tuya based from a quick look up so you should be able to use them via the localtuya/tuyalocal or main tuya intergration.

Thanks, I don’t do Tyua so was hoping for info on Cloudcutter suitability. There are none available locally but I will be interstate for a few days next week so may grab one.

OzSmartThings has requested I mail the switch back to them and they will send a V2 switch as a replacement. They say the V2 is more durable. I guess I’ll find out!

If you only get to 1yr then they are in the very crap category of smart plugs.

If you get to about 2yr then you are at about the industry average of crappyness.

If you get beyond that then maybe we have something.

I’m currently crap-testing Arlec’s… About 3months in.

There’s a fair bit of info on this thread about the single plug version from the tuya-convert days. Not sure what chip you’d be dealing with there now and if cloudcuttable…

The Brilliants unfortunately suffered from the same short lifetimes as all other cheap ESPHomeable smartplugs. Maybe things have improved. Maybe not.

I wouldn’t get your hopes up overall but well I guess there is always a glimmer of hope if it hasn’t been confirmed as crapola.

Anyone got any idea when the new range of IKEA sensors are meant to be dropping in Australia? Would love to replace some of my contact sensors.

Hi all - slightly off topic but I’m hoping someone might had tried it. I have just seen the Mercator Ikuu Smart Lock (Bluetooth Entrance Lock | Ikuü). Does anyone have any experience with this, as it is reasonable priced against competition and looks like a good product? I’d be keen to hear what others think about the likelihood of connecting this the HA over BLE.

Are you able to help me where I can find yaml file for the ALD095HA or any other tips for this? I have successfully flashed and have put libretiny on it.

Here’s the link to the yaml that I used Arlec Grid Connect Smart 9W CCT LED Downlight (ALD092CHA) | devices.esphome.io

I had to edit it to make it work on the ALD095HA… it seems to work well. I’m no expert and there may be ways to improve it.

# Arlec ALD095HA with Beken Chip and Libretiny

substitutions:
  device_name: "spare-ald095ha-2"
  friendly_name: "Spare ald095ha 2"
  restore_mode: RESTORE_DEFAULT_ON

esphome:
  name: $device_name
  friendly_name: $friendly_name

bk72xx:
  board: generic-bk7231t-qfn32-tuya

logger:

web_server:

captive_portal:

mdns:

api:
  password: ""

ota:
  password: ""

wifi:
  ssid: !secret wifi_ssid
  password: !secret wifi_password
  ap:

text_sensor:
  - platform: libretiny
    version:
      name: LibreTiny Version

sm2135:
  clock_pin: P24
  data_pin: P26
  rgb_current: 15mA
  cw_current: 35mA

output:
  - platform: sm2135
    id: output_red
    channel: 2
    min_power: 0.01
    max_power: 1
    zero_means_zero: True
    id: output_green
    channel: 1
    id: output_blue
    channel: 0
    id: output_cold
    channel: 4
    id: output_warm
    channel: 3

light:
  - platform: rgbww
    id: light_rgbww
    name: ${friendly_name}
    color_interlock: true
    cold_white_color_temperature: 6500 K
    warm_white_color_temperature: 3000 K
    red: output_red
    green: output_green
    blue: output_blue
    cold_white: output_cold
    warm_white: output_warm
    restore_mode: $restore_mode

If anyone’s in need of an electrician in Brisbane that can help with all your Home Assistant needs, can strongly recommend @zacolly of IOconnex. Just had them over to do a whole bunch of work and they ensured I had all the right devices for the job including:

• Shelly EM w/ contactor for a dedicated EVSE 15A point.
  • Mercator Ikuu switch to replace a dumb switch to control a LED light which replaced a fluro tube.
  • 3x SkyFanDC fans with ESPHome controllers.
  • Cleanly wired up POE for a Reolink doorbell.

They managed all that, plus a trip test/circuit map, plus a re-wire of a large chunk of the switch board, plus replacing a few dodgy wall sockets all in just under 4 hours at a decent price.

2 Likes

Just for reference, I’ve been running my front loader via a TP Link smart socket for years. Like you it is just there for power monitoring (so I can do notifications) and it never gets used for switching.

While it is an inductive load I was super surprised to see how clean (no spikes) and low power my washing machine is. It’s a 10 year old 7.5kg top loader.

Fridges are the worst for power spikes.

Unfortunately I found out the hard way how quickly a fridge can fry a smart socket. My dishwasher did the same thing too. Could have just been due to them being first gen Kogan rubbish though considering my last Kogan socket gave up recently which was only controlling a 15W LED light.

Yeah, all 4 of my first gen Kogan ones fried within a few months of each other. They were rubbish. The Athom ones that I’ve had now have been going strong for 2-3 years.

One thing I noticed with all the wifi smart plugs I’ve used is that they run hot. Can’t be good for MTBF.

The zigbee smart plugs are barely warmer than ambient.

That very much depends on the fridge. Old ones are not great but modern inverter units with soft start don’t pull much inrush current.

Stupid thing is the remaining frail Athom plugs I still have operating are for the two fridges, the dishwasher and heat pump clothes dryer.

Thanks. I’ll give the replacement plug from OzSmartThings are go when it arrives.

I’m coming to the conclusion that none of these plugs are sufficiently robust for monitoring the sort of devices we’d actually like to monitor.

Although those aren’t Aus certified as far as I know.

1 Like

I wonder what you could host in this if you got creative? Mmwave etc…

Although I guess with off the shell options being so cheap and cheerful there’s maybe not as much motivation. (Like this)