Google Shopping List integration

Hey there,

I just discovered the shopping list component. It would be neat if I could somehow link it to my default Google Shopping list.

Cheers

thumbs up!

Not familiar with that, can you give me a link and I will poke? I also love the shopping list,

I have a custom sensor that I set up so I get alerts when I enter my grocery store zone to ping my iphone with my shopping list, ie ā€˜You have items on your shopping list, beerā€™. Itā€™s almost always beer :slight_smile:

I had worked up the feature to merge into HASS but got sidetracked. If there is interest Iā€™ll give it another go.

Hi!

Hereā€™s the link to the google shopping list

https://shoppinglist.google.com/lists/default

how is the ā€œofficialā€ google service for shopping and I think is integrated with Google Home. So it would be great to have a merged shopping list created from HA and google so we can add items from everywhere.

I didnā€™t find any api description or developer guide for the shoppinglist component. It doesnā€™t seems that the service is open for developer.

Oh, thatā€™s a pity. :frowning:

This would be nice!

Oh it would be nice to have and highly needed. Just a minor twist would be to share lists between HA users and ability to add zones for geofencing for a notification when your enter you primary shopping place

Update
Well this will never happen and we should boycott Google Shopping List:

Well here we have the reason to drop Google Shopping List integration - It seems like Big Google just is hijacking the shopping lists and use it only to benefit google express product searching

That article is from 2017 - they went that direction and then reversed course and now allow you to add to Google ā€˜KEEPā€™ lists via Google Assistant. Far from great, but better than shortly after your referenced article was posted.

From what I remember, someone here managed to leverage Keep API and sync lists to an extent - far from perfect b/c of Google API limitation, but something at leastā€¦

Cool thanks for the update but still a shame that google has note yet made an API for their shopping list. It would have been so easy for them

1 Like

I use this approach to prompt, similar to @tschmidty - Location based shopping list reminder? - #4 by CloCkWeRX and otherwise use the google ecosystem to add/remove/etc items.

Related to the similar problem described in this other thread ā†’ Google Assistant Ifttt Shopping list

Any tried using gkeep-list-sync (custom component that uses an unofficial client for Google Keep API)?

gkeep-list-sync ā€œA Home Assistant custom integration for adding items to your Home Assistant Shopping List from a Google Keep list. The integration relies on gkeepapi for the synchronization. This is meant to be used with Google Assistant to easily add items to Home Assistant Shopping List.ā€

The integration adds a service call that can be used on any automation to synchronize Google Keep List with Home Assistant Shopping List, but it is currently only one-way.

1 Like

FYI, the method and path to integrate implementations such as Shopping Lists and To-Do integrations have been significantly changed for the better in Home Assistant 2023.11 with the addition of the new todo integration, as that is a new core integration in Home Assistant that is meant to be used by other integrations, and Home Assistantā€™s own Shopping List integration is now using that todo integration.

https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2023/11/01/release-202311/#there-is-a-lot-to-do

https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2023/11/01/release-202311/#shopping-lists-are-now-to-dos-too

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/todo

Unfortunately, I asked the developer of gkeep-list-sync if he would consider adding that to his custom integration and sadly he said that he is not personally interested in developing a Google Shopping List integration that uses todo :frowning:

However, maybe someone else will develop a Google Shopping List integration using gkeepapi as a dependency?

PS: While off-topic also recommend check out this related Blueprint to make Home Assistantā€™s own shopping list list integration have a better interference ā†’ Improved Shopping List!

3 Likes

Developers might also want to checkout this custom component that uses todo integration and sync Bring shopping list ā†’ GitHub - sh00t2kill/HA-Bring-ToDo-List: A custom component that syncs Bring Shopping List with the new HA ToDo list