Newbie stuck on Home Assistant onboarding screen

Exactly same problem. Clean install on Raspberry Pi 4, clicked on more and it hung on a dimmed page. After refresh was stuck here. Did you find a solution?

The solution for me was to open a different browser and click the ‘Finish’. You could try emptying your browser cache too.

3 Likes

I had the same issue with HA in Docker, thank you @thargy as opening an inprivate session worked for me!

Thanks. This worked well. It seems that the dimming window after clicking “More” is a common issue

Stuck here too in 2022-05-01, installed core and did initial startup. After first login attempt it gets stuck on onboarding.

Tried to

• flush browser cache
  • change different browsers: falkon, firefox, chrome
  • removed the content of config/.storage dir
  • restarted everything

Nothing helped. I put back the storage dir content.

There are ‘official instructions’ for this, but it doesn’t help.

also:

There is a config/.storage/onboarding file which contains the steps of finished onboarding phases. Finished, running system has:

{
  "version": 4,
  "minor_version": 1,
  "key": "onboarding",
  "data": {
    "done": [
      "user",
      "core_config",
      "analytics",
      "integration"
    ]
  }
}

My hanging (git clone core installed) instance has proceeded into analytics and integration is missing. Adding it manually allows me get by that initial integrations initializations and actually log in.

When running with --debug flag, I get

ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.weather] Platform met does not generate unique IDs. ID home already exists - ignoring weather.forecast_home

Not sure if that’s the culprit. It does show up into integrations thou.

Based on cases where a lot of people have got stuck with onboarding this clearly needs some more verbose console messages to give a hint what it was doing and what it’s trying next - now there is nothing.

Tuju

2 Likes

This may be a bug in 2023.05/stable. I had the same issue and no suggested fix worked. Instead I downgraded from
homeassistant/home-assistant:stable
to
homeassistant/home-assistant:2023.4
and I can get past onboarding now.

EDIT: After using the 2023.4 image to pass onboarding, I could successfully return to :stable without issue.

3 Likes

Hey there! Where did you change that?

I just installed two VMs, Proxmox and ESXi, both with the HA 10.1 version image available on the website. The same problem with the “http://192.168.50.142:8123/onboarding.html” screen and that’s it. Unable to access the system. Does anyone have the solution?

In both cases, the installation is new from the images obtained for download from the official website.

Similar situation: Win 10, Virtual Box, both 7.x and 6.1, HA 8.2 (which I had working on an old version of VirtualBox) and HA 10.1 (latest). I’m thinking it is a problem with Windows, since I have tried all four combinations of VM and HA with the same effect. Right after setting location, then diagnostics it flips to the empty screen with the “homeassistant” badge (OP image).

Boot seems normal, internet seems Ok, I can go to different machines (in my house) and open “homeassistant.local:8123” so networking is fine. Just no joy after diagnostics: stuck in /onboarding.html Tried different browsers (edge & chrome) with same results.

This all works just fine on an RPi 3 (not in a VM, of course) and I had it running on a Win 10 PC about a year ago so I am mystified what the issue is.

I’m similarly stuck. Ran 10.1 and 10.0 in hyper-V windows pro 10 (22H2) today and hit the wall on /onboarding.html

Good to know it works on Pi, may just get the pi2 out and stop this troubleshooting

Wanted to post this here for anyone setting up a new VM with Windows Hyper-V. If you use the out of the box Network “vEthernet (Default Switch)” this is not external or said another way it’s not using your physical NIC. So, you need to go into your Switch Manager of the server and create a new Virtual Switch that uses your Physical Network Adapter and then update your VM to use said switch.

TLDR; My issue seemed to be similar to what was all posted above with regards to using windows Hyper-V and my issue was resolved with connecting to the internet.

Hyper-V default switch NATS by default so it should have internet connectivity. That said I did switch my VM to an external address where it was on my ‘physical’ network and no dice on it resolving the issue.

I issued the command dns logs and saw a lot of nxdomain errors. likely the culprit but being less than 12 hrs into this I’m not sure how to crack through the cli to uncover more…

Same problem here, tried:

• hub.docker.com homeassistant/home-assistant:stable and :dev
  • hub.docker.com homeassistant/generic-x86-64-homeassistant:stable and :dev
  • VirtualBox VM from the hass.io download link
  • QEMU qcow2 image from the hass.io download link

No joy with any, am able to create account and set locale but then blank…

I am trying :2023.4 and am seeing the same issue. :confused:

Looks like the integration step is crashing in the browser. I am unable to reproduce this locally. If someone runs into this, please open the browser console (right click on the page → inspect element, click on console). There should be errors there that would help us out.

In case you have issues viewing that screenshot, here’s the contents:

Audit usage of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform
A page or script is accessing at least one of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform. Starting in Chrome 101, the amount of information available in the User Agent string will be reduced.
To fix this issue, replace the usage of navigator.userAgent, navigator.appVersion, and navigator.platform with feature detection, progressive enhancement, or migrate to navigator.userAgentData.
Note that for performance reasons, only the first access to one of the properties is shown.
1 source
onboarding.html:1

My other replies were when I tried it in Brave.

When I look at the console in Firefox I get this:

Uncaught (in promise) DOMException: A mutation operation was attempted on a database that did not allow mutations.
The resource at “http://192.168.138.118:8123/static/fonts/roboto/Roboto-Regular.woff2” preloaded with link preload was not used within a few seconds. Make sure all attributes of the preload tag are set correctly. onboarding.html
The resource at “http://192.168.138.118:8123/static/fonts/roboto/Roboto-Medium.woff2” preloaded with link preload was not used within a few seconds. Make sure all attributes of the preload tag are set correctly. onboarding.html