Official Z-way integration request

Haven’t found with search, so I post a feature request here.
Z-way from https://z-wave.me/ is a z-wave controller that is said to feature great stability, efficient zwave networking and security. The solution can run on a Raspberry (eventually with the RaZberry module that contains a valid license for the software) or any Linux distribution.
I found some bits and bites here and there (mainly using some mqtt plugins) but the lack of official support is not making it easy.

Yes please!!!

lol and now the request is on… I knew it would come eventually. :laughing:

there is a very good working solution with open-zwave

i use the razberry with Z-Wave to MQTT Z-Wave to MQTT page

u have to edit ur boot config.txt and disable bluetooth maybe(on a raspberry 3 i did)
Edit /boot/config.txt. Add this:

dtoverlay=pi3-disable-bt
How to access config.txt in Hassio?

don’t forget the activate a mqtt broker…

in the zwave settings the right device is /dev/ttyAMA0

Thank you for your tip. Could you also please vote for z-way? Thank you.

why should i… it works perfectly… what would be the benefits?
mqtt devices are mostly up to date compare to the z-wave stuff…
open-zwave is more advanced then the z-way software

Because it doesn’t support everything Z-way does: S2 security, Zniffer, Smart Start… and is a much much more advanced commercial zwave controller. Open Zwave is actually very far behind. Everything it has on the roadmap, Z-way already has.

Then u could try to get a z-way 2 mqtt Plugin to work. I did that some years ago and it worked.
Last time I checked z-way was not that great. That why I switched.
Or u can wait until openzwave finishes s2… I’m sure that will happen sooner then a z-way Integration :slight_smile:

Z-way is not great as an automation platform. It is outstanding as a zwave bridge. In terms of capability/stability it is #1 or #2 with HomeSeer ahead of hubitat/SmartThings and way ahead of openzwave. That’s why a combination with Home Assistant would be of great interest for some people.

as far i remember there was a mqtt bridge for z-way in their appstore.

The request I made has been submitted exactly for this reason:

Z-way -> mqtt plugin -> MQTT Broker -> HA

I should rely on a third party plugin that connect to an MQTT broker that will send messges to HA. Definitely more complicated than just using direct API.

I do have a MQTT container in my setup, but setting up and maintaining security there is one more thing to manage.
Event troubleshooting would be more difficult.

If MQTT is the path, I think more than half of the integration of HA could be dropped :smiley:

1 Like

thanks for your answer ha4dummy.
u are right… the best thing would be a good intigration… the question here… will it happen? and will it get maintained…
u are right to have additional tools like mqtt running brings more maintenance and maybe security issues… but keep in mind the mqtt will just run locally in ur network and is not connected to the outside world.
but trust me from my experience the mqtt “devices” got way more updates then the z-wave stuff… and if u wait for something specific u maybe wait forever…
and so far i had no issues with the discovered mqtt devices…

So, please vote now

Been requested before as I can see:

Now the question is whether it is worth waiting for openZwave to catch up with QT or if it is easier to develop a new integration.

Sorry, it must for sure be my inability. I have tried both setting up openzwave (zwave2mqtt) and zway (on ubuntu) the latter was feeling more intiutive… but with both I have not succeeded to stop with Vera. I currently run Vera Edge (@rafale77 knows me from there :-)) and the way that integration is done in home assistant is EXACTLY what I would like to see for z-way. If I were good in programming :star_struck:

I have done the same. Z-way is definitely much more intuitive and goes much deeper into the support of zwave than zwave2mqtt. It is also a lot more reliable even if zwave2mqtt is not nearly as bad as vera. I know we discussed this but since you are able to setup Home Assistant and Zway, you should definitely be able to setup openluup and move your vera over and then migrate.

In case you’ve never seen this:

I then have Home Assistant and openLuup work in harmony. You could even use the vera integration from HA to connect to openLuup. The vera platform is taking a turn from bad to worse with ezlo, heading for another very different market and abandoning their user base. Your desire to move is understandable.

My strategy would be… since openluup is just another layer/viewer of the “logics and automation” on top of the vera ones I might as well use home assistant and node-red for that. I currently use Vera almost (few old automations left) only as a zwave bridge. All other stuff I migrated to hass as integration or custom component.
And since Vera is just a zwave bridge for me (with very poor and bad zwave device support) I want another zwave bridge (z-way) and gradually move 1 by 1 my zwave devices over to there. That way I can maintain my automations and logic via hass and node red and phase out vera and make use of a reliable and supported z-way product.

Your strategy makes perfect sense… Only if that bridging existed… I upvoted in support. :slight_smile:

That way I can maintain my automations and logic via hass and node red and phase out vera and make use of a reliable and supported z-way product.

I’ve been searching this exact thing for months. Would really like to have a stable z-wave environment.

Then vote in the top!