Raspberry Pi 4, Home Assistant OS (5.5, dev version) on a SSD, and the Argon One M.2 Case (In Progress)

The IR RX/TX is actually great addon.

Perhaps very cheap RC or some other wireless communication modules could be added.

With that i would be able to replace IR and RC hub with tasmota.

Hi everyone!
I have bought also the argon one m2 case with an intenso m.2 ssd 128GB.
I have burned an sd card with the official bootloader image for pi4, plugged in the pi and after a while everything was okay.
Then burned the homeassistant image on the ssd with balena etcher.
I have then “fixed” everything in the argon one m.2 case and after a while the “welcome screen” of homeassistant appeared.
Made a new user login just to make sure everything works and after that restored everything from the last snapshot created before the upgrade.
Everything works great and with no issues!!
My Homeassistant “server” works great now!! Really excited with the upgrade!!!

Anyone has tried to upgrade to OS 6.0? Is everything is still OK?

My Pi 4 4GB with a M.2 SSD in an Argon One Case is running without any problem with the newest versions (core 2021.6.4, supervisor 2021.06.0 and Home Assistant Operating System 6.0).

1 Like

Thanks.

I just updated mine everything to latest and everything is working.

so glad I read all the posts, including the ones about power issues with the attached SSD… was able to cancel my order for the M2 case, and will now turn to the regular case (because I do want the active cooler fan to do its job)

guess the described issues are identical to what I experienced earlier with a regular case, but with external SSD’s, and their need for a powered USB hub. The Pi simply isn’t made for powering SSD’s on its own, no matter the reports of users saying they fare well. Ultimately, its about edge cases, and having a bricked Pi at that time isnt what we are looking for…

fyi, see here for my findings on that matter, using powered USB hubs, and the back-powering most of them cause

on power rating: do we have a number for the fan itself?

I also use a regular Argon case with external 256G Samsung SSD in UGREEN enclosure (no hub needed) ; With RPI4b and original power supply it seems ok, never had any issue.

Fan in Aron case is pretty weak; dont know the numbers

thanks. Must confess I feel my issues were brought up after updating to OS 6.0, but at Discord the kind people convinced me I was asking for trouble using only SSD’s and rely on the PI for powering those. Checking the numbers in this thread above, which go way beyond the max 1.2A for the Usb devices (together!) I could relate to that judgement… :wink:

As long as its doing well, it is, well, doing well, until the moment you have no response anymore…

Having said that, since you use the ‘regular’ case without the M.2 bottom: can you still see the Sd-card slot, our that covered too? Can’t really tell from these pictures: https://www.argon40.com/argon-one-v-2-case-for-raspberry-pi-5.html

On normal Argon case it’s not covered, it’s accesible from outside but mine is empty.

And i’ve got lots of troubles with 6.0 OS (with high CPU usage, RAM and swap); solved by joining dev channel and now 6.1 os is fine (as was 5.5)

I don’t see any issues using a SSD (Kingston A400) on a Rpi4 with official charger, it can run two of the Kingston’s without any issues or need for externally powered. I also run a Rpi4 and in a ArgonM.2 case without any problems and have been for a good few months.

Another question on this matter: doesn’t the heat of the internal Ssd in the M.2 defeat the active cooling of an already hot running Pi4 ?

Seems we have to do our utmost best to keep the Pi under its throttle temp, and adding an ‘internal’ Ssd can’t help…

It doesn’t make that much difference with the temperature…with a cheap standard case with a fan on constant it sat around 39c in a 21c cupboard (winter time), now in the summer with ArgonM.2 case in a 26c cupboard I’ve got it hoovering between 44-47c with fan automation coming on 55% for 5mins every 15-20min to keep within these perimeters………if I keep the fan on constantly it sit at 37c.

well, as always, ymmv…

I have my production Pi in the attic, which itself can become quite warm. nearing 35-40C on hot summer days.

the Pi easily tops 70C on those days, nearing the 80’s.

Adding a very warm to hot SSD in the bottom simply doesnt follow logic of keeping the PI as cool as possible :wink:

That gave me a chuckle…

“I have my production Pi in the attic”… “doesn’t follow the logic of keeping the Pi as cool as possible”

Thanks!
:smile:

1 Like

Yeah, not much choice though, the whole rack with all other hubs, computers, network etc etc is centralized there….

So making the best of it

Same. rPi4 8GB, Western Digital Green SSD, M2 Case, Zigbee dongle, Zwave dongle all from stock power supply only. No problems running 8 months now. Pi is rarely above 50C but then I don’t stress it CPU load wise with my HA setup I guess. Ambient doesn’t get much higher than 25C though. If mine was hitting 80C I’d be looking at something other than an rPi thats for sure…

Yes, I am looking. Not that obvious though, because with the expansion to a miniPC or Nuc come more options, that need exploring before cutting the knot…

How do I make the pie restart on power failure. As of right now I have to hit the power button manually.

I answered this in the other thread where you asked it.

Hello,

Thank you for the guide to setup the argon.
I have a problem with the fan when home assistant reboots.
After every reboot the fan starts spinning at full speed, while the temp is around 40.
I then call a service to set the fan speed to 0 and then everything works normal.
But with the next reboot… back to full speed.

Do you know what might eb the cause of this problem?
Is there also a way to get a fan speed sensor, so that it would be possible to view the fan speed in a lovelace card.

Regards