Ring integration setup fails

So it appears that the download will only work if it is within 60minutes of the previous motion event so if the last even was at 10pm and the next is at 8am it won’t download and you get a 403 error. If the next motion event was at 8:10am it will download the 8am event video but not the 10pm event as the token has expired when putting the link from the logs into a browser it mentions 3600 seconds and expired.

So with all the alterations Ring are making to the API I thought I would setup and alternate pathway to get ring and motion events into HA. This post describes how it works in case anyone wants to give it a try:

For those having binary sensor issues. Make sure you generate motoin for more than 10 seconds. Ring is only showing motion is active for as long as the camera is streaming. I submitted a PR that will be in 0.105 to lower this to 5 seconds but until then you will need motion to last longer. Previously ring would keep the sensor on for 2 minutes but given all the most recent changes they did that is no longer the case.

They are also making active changes now too so its possible you need to wait it out until they fix whatever they are working on. When I experienced this issue during the beta there were some users who did not have the issue so it seems to be random and out of our control.

1 Like

Maybe not random, maybe based on region.

We had a few people during testing who had the issue inconsistently, some who never had it and some who had it for a short while then it started to work. I think right now the bigger issue is that the dings update every 10 seconds which can be a large delay, large enough that you can miss a quick motion event like a package delivery. I submitted a PR after some testing to lower that interval to 5 seconds and it looked to be a lot better. That PR will be in 0.105

@dshokouhi Do you have an explanation as to why the camera preview (of last motion) shows after restarting. And along the way this breaks. When I press it, I can no longer watch the last motion detected recording.

Is this occurring with 104.2

I actually went ahead and deleted all ring things from my configs (sensor, binary_sensor, camera, ring). It was generating issues in the logs that platform setup was not supported.

Now it’s only running through integration and so far the camera works again… I think the moment it worked, it grabbed the camera from the integration but maybe somehow later moved to the manual camera configuration I had set up. Now that is all gone, seems to works oke (restarted like 15 min ago). I’ll have to check how it performs throughout the day.

I integrated the Ring 2 through the new integration.
Everything works except… the most important for me: ‘doorbell_ding’. Is that a known problem that can be fixed or is it no longer available? I have already added the ring 2 times, restarted the system but HASSIO keeps saying: ‘not detected’. I can use the motion_sensor but it does not help me that much for my application.
Someone a solution? I’m on Hassio 104.2

I’m having a similar problem with the ding binary_sensor.
It just doesn’t turn on. It’s always staying off. Maybe it’s related to that problem of the guy above me too.
I described it here fully: Ring stopped working quickly after I got it working

Maybe someone can help us here.

Your answer is in this post:

The update interval was 10 seconds long before 104.0 or 104.1 because of a rate limiting issue at rings API servers as can be seen here: https://github.com/home-assistant/home-assistant/pull/15414

It was 5 seconds before.
It’s nice when it comes down to 5 again and the home-assistant dev’s found a way with the ring admins to avoid rate limiting.
But, still, there are people like me and others that seem to have it not working at all with an unknown cause. So it’s at least worth mentioning and try to help to resolve it.

I’ve had it running now for a couple days and the issue didn’t change.
@dshokouhi, FYI too if you didn’t have that information.
I would love to see the update interval dropping down to 5s again but i would also love to see it working in the first place.

EDIT:
Found out something interesting. Just came to the idea that i could change my rings device name.
Restarted home-assistant and all of the sensors and stuff get’s renamed. But not the ding binary_sensor.
Deleted all the entities from the core entity register, restarted home-assistant again and then all the entities and the name of the ding sensor changed., but the binary_sensor still doesn’t work.

Maybe that’s helping.

EDIT 2:

I’m running home-assistant on debian 10 in a virtual python environment.
What i did is:

cd /srv/homeassistant
source bin/activate
mkdir BAK
mv lib/python3.7/site-packages/homeassistant/components/ring/__pycache__ ./BAK/

Restart Home-Assistant
It started working normally again.
I really don’t know if that did the trick or it was just pure coincidence.
@Snuf1 it would be great if you could try it out.

I’m on hassio so I can’t (??) backup python3.7. I think I’ll have to wait for 105. Although I don’t think we’re on the same page. My problem is not a delay (that might be the next) but I can’t use ding binairy sensor at all because it is not detected.

Problem solved:

What I did was not really rocket science but sometimes it helps doing what I did too flip over bits to their right position.
I’m not sure one of the steps did the trick or combination of the steps. But when you encounter similar problems: Try it out:

Step 1 – Delete all object from Ring by clicking on one of then and then click the garbage bin in the right upper corner.

Step 2 – Restart Hassio

Step 3 – Make a snapshot and restart Hassio

Step 4 – Reload the snapshot (this is the debatable part)

Step 5 – Change your Ring password (never a bad thing to do every now and then)

Step 6 – Configure Ring for Hassio by looking it up in the integration part and enter your credentials

Step 7 – In my case. The Ring doorbell ding was there and ready for use.

1 Like

Am I the only one getting “unexpected error” when I try adding via the integrations? I’ve made sure to delete any trace in the yaml as well.

For several of us this problem was fixed in the later versions.

I wish it were for me. Everything is up to date. I even made sure to update the host os.

I’m still getting “unexpected error” on 0.104.2 after removing all Ring yaml and the custom component and updating HassOS. The only thing I can think might be causing it is my Ring Doorbell 2 hasn’t yet updated to include Smart Alerts. I did an online chat with Ring and was told they’re slowly rolling it out to devices.

I still think you have the ring_doorbell library some where in your config or folders
cause i was getting that same issue after i remove the custom components
then i realised it had it in the config folder when i was downloading and updating the library from before.

After updating HASSIO to 104.2 and removing the integration and added again still the detection of Ding and motion doesn’t work. More people with this issue?