🧯 Zigbee2MQTT Aqara Magic Cube T1-Pro CTP-R01 Xiaomi Lumi cagl02

(Hundreds of possible actions!!) Works with MQTT Directly bypassing both Legacy and non-Legacy trigger issues. This Blueprint uses a Zigbee2MQTT built sensor to sort out the 58+ unique commands (118+ total) available from the Xiaomi Magic Cube Remote. (Some unique commands listed as + are not counted & available thru templating only. See the related document.)

:bookmark_tabs: Changelog

• 2023-12-09: Stop log spamming leak. #32
  • 2023-10-20: Enhancement Add flip to side from any
  • 2023-10-11: Bug fix Descriptions wrong
  • 2023-08-07: Updates for Home Assistant 2023.8
    • LOOK THIS LINK FOR IMPORTANT UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS
    • Selector syntax change
    • Condition Selector addition (where applicable)
    • MQTT Discovery name changes (where applicable)
    • Clean-up code formatting
  • 2022-03-01-A: Beef-up the note not to use spaces and non alpha in MQTT topics.
  • 2023-03-01: Add Author Tag. Bump HA required Version to 2023-3-0
  • 2023-01-26-1: Add in the forgotten Scene Mode Hold function
  • 2023-01-26: :tada: First Release. Based on Zigbee2MQTT-Xiaomi_Cube_Controller_MQTT_Triggered Blueprint

:wrench: * Hardware Versions

NOTE: This blueprint is for the PRO cube version ONLY and is not fully compatible
with the original version of the cube.
Links for those are in my GIT repository.

This cube has an ‘‘Action’’ mode (Shown below with this graphic: :palm_down_hand: ACTION MODE ONLY :palm_down_hand: )

and a ‘‘Scene’’ mode (Shown below with this graphic: :eyes: SCENE MODE ONLY :eyes: ).

Make sure the cube is in the mode you think it is in when triggering it.
The functions are separate. IE Action - slide will do something different from Scene - slide.

:crystal_ball: About this blueprint

Type of blueprint: AUTOMATION

What if I am having problems getting it going?

You can contact me for help, see the links below.

Why do I need this?

The Cube remote/switch device has a lot of ways to trigger it. This Blueprint makes it a bit easier to figure out what you are doing and remembering that in the future. It also makes sure the trigger is as clean and repeatable as possible, screening out false triggers and making the log clean and the experience good overall.

:wrench: Configuration

Requirements

• To make the Blueprint work you will need a functional Magic Cube T1-PRO integrated to Home Assistant thru Zigbee2MQTT.
  • My ‘suggestion’ is that you do separate scripts for most, if not all of the actions you generate here. If you are using the UI editor for the simple things you are fine, but for more complicated things scripts may work better for you. This is my opinion and how I am using it, to each their own. See my example dimmer script below…
  • IF YOU SEE → TemplateError: Must provide a device or entity ID …
    • If you get an error like that, The friendly_name in Z2M likely does not match the friendly_name on HA. To fix go into the Z2M Open web UI and set the friendly_name there. Setting this in just HA or in Z2M without ticking the update HA box will cause this.
  • This version of the Blueprint uses MQTT to deal with cube interface duties. This means that if you have Legacy triggers enabled on your setup or not, it will still work. It also created it’s own number helper to track a variable needed to do all the tricks. You as the user will not have to deal with that.

You will also need the correct MQTT topic to talk to your device.

This blueprint has been known to freak out when there are spaces or odd characters in the MQTT Topic. Make sure there are no spaces, ONLY a single word, and ONLY A thru Z, a thru z, and 0 thru 9 in the topic. ( / is ok between device and topic) If there are, you will need to change the name of the cube to remove those characters.

Wise advice from: HiveMQ:

Never use spaces in a topic

A space is the natural enemy of every programmer. When things are not going the way they should, spaces make it much harder to read and debug topics. Just because something is allowed, doesn’t mean it should be used. UTF-8 has many different white space types, such uncommon characters should be avoided.

Use only ASCII characters, avoid punctuation and non printable characters

Because non-ASCII UTF-8 characters often display incorrectly, it is very difficult to find typos or issues related to the character set. Unless it is absolutely necessary, we recommend avoiding the use of non-ASCII characters in a topic.

The topic can be found by going into devices and finding your cube device. Open your Home Assistant instance and show your devices.

Then clicking on MQTT INFO:

Click MQTT INFO

Then looking for the subscribed topic that looks like this… zigbee2nqtt/[your device name here]:

That is what belongs in the the topic question you get when setting up a new automation with this blueprint.

:beetle: Template error

If you see an error similar to: Error while executing automation automation.magic_cube_automations: TemplateError: Must provide a device or entity ID there is a way to fix it. It happens (usually) because the friendly_name that is in HA does not match the friendly_name that is in Z2M.
In order to fix I suggest you go into the Z2M web UI and change the friendly name. Below is how to do this if you are using the Z2M Addon.

1. Open the Z2M Web UI:

2: Select the change name icon in the row of the cube device:

3: Change the name and be certain to tick the box to update HA at the same time:

After this find the topic again the same way as above and it should work.

:card_index_dividers: Input fields

topic/name: Topic
    The main MQTT Topic for your cube. 

additional_conditions:
    Extra conditions you may want to add to this automation 
    (Example: Home occupied, TV on, etc)

action_shake:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Shake the cube 🍩
    This trigger only occurs once in the set-up.

action_throw:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Throw the cube 🍩
    You don't actually ''Throw'' the cube. The action is as follows:
      > Pick up the cube firmly.
      > Make a throwing motion with it but do not motion back towards yourself.
      > Hold it there for a second.
      > The throw trigger should be sent to Z2M.

action_slide_any:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 2 🍊 Slide on any side

action_doubletap_any:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 2 🍊 Double tap on any side

action_flipped90_any:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 2 🍊 Flip 90 degrees to any side

action_flipped180_any:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 2 🍊 Flip 180 degrees to any side

action_rotate_cw_any:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 2 🍊 Rotate CW on any side

action_rotate_ccw_any:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 2 🍊 Rotate CCW on any side

**There is a set of these 🍎 for all 6 sides. 36 inputs total..**

action_slide_face_1:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 1 🍎 Slide with face 1 up

action_doubletap_face_1:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 1 🍎 Double tap with face 1 up

action_flipped90_face_1:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 1 🍎 Flip 90 degrees to face 1

action_flipped180_face_1:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 1 🍎 Flip 180 degrees to face 1

action_flip_from_any_to_face_1:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 1 🍎 Flip From any face to face 1

action_rotate_cw_face_1:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 1 🍎 Rotate CW with face 1 up

action_rotate_ccw_face_1:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 1 🍎 Rotate CCW with face 1 up

**There is a set of these 🍐 for all 6 sides. 30 inputs total..**
The one action that flips 180 changes in every set.

action_1_from_6:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 3 🍐 Flip to side 1 from side 6

action_1_from_2:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 3 🍐 Flip to side 1 from side 2

action_1_from_3:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 3 🍐 Flip to side 1 from side 3

action_1_from_4:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 3 🍐 Flip to side 1 from side 4

action_1_from_5:
  name: 🫳 ACTION MODE ONLY 🫳 Group 3 🍐 Flip to side 1 from side 5

scene_hold:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Lift up the cube and hold it 🍩

scene_shake:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Shake the cube 🍩

scene_throw:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Throw the cube 🍩
    You don''t actually ''Throw'' the cube. The action is as follows:
      > Pick up the cube firmly.
      > Make a throwing motion with it but do not motion back towards yourself.
      > Hold it there for a second.
      > The throw trigger should be sent to Z2M.
    It can be combined in any group.'

scene_flip_to_side_any:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Group 2 🍊 Flip 180 degrees any side

scene_rotate_cw_any:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Group 2 🍊 Rotate cube CW with any side

scene_rotate_ccw_any:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Group 2 🍊 Rotate cube CCW with any side

**There is a set of these 🍎 for all 6 sides. 18 inputs total..**

scene_flip_to_face_1:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Group 1 🍎 Flip to face 1 from any other face

scene_rotate_cw_face_1:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Group 1 🍎 Rotate cube CW with face 1 up

scene_rotate_ccw_face_1:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Group 1 🍎 Rotate cube CCW with face 1 up

**There is a set of these 🍐 for all 6 sides. 30 inputs total..**
The one action that flips 180 changes in every set.

scene_1_from_6:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Group 3 🍐 Flip to side 1 from side 6

scene_1_from_2:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Group 3 🍐 Flip to side 1 from side 2

scene_1_from_3:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Group 3 🍐 Flip to side 1 from side 3

scene_1_from_4:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Group 3 🍐 Flip to side 1 from side 4

scene_1_from_5:
  name: 👀 SCENE MODE ONLY 👀 Group 3 🍐 Flip to side 1 from side 5

:eyes: :airplane: Extended Information

This Blueprint uses a Zigbee2MQTT built sensor to sort out the commands available from the Xiaomi Magic Cube Remote.

The split out of functions gives you the ability to assign local scripts or functions
to do the things you want the remote to do.

Functions that are left empty will simply do nothing.

:apple: There is a set of 36 event functions that will trigger on specific actions

on specific sides that are listed as Group 1 actions :apple:.

:tangerine: There is a set of 6 event functions that will trigger on specific actions

on ANY side that are listed as Group 2 sctions :tangerine:.

:pear: There is a set of 30 event functions that will trigger on cube flips to

& froma specific sides that are listed as Group 3 sctions :pear:.

:doughnut: There are 2 actions (shake and drop) that only occur once and are OK to

be combined with any other group.

Please be aware that ALL actions except the 2 listed above,

:doughnut: will trigger an action in ALL 3 groups at the same time every time. Therefore
I suggest if you just have a couple of things you want this remote to do that
you choose the ANY / Group 2 / :tangerine: events.

If you want more than a few events, you should select actions in Group 1 / :apple:
OR Group 3 / :pear:

With careful selection you can use mixed groups, but you run the risk of a single
cube action triggering more than 1 Home Assistant action and making a mess of
things :bento:.

:desert: Setting Action Mode or Scene Mode on Cube

To change the mode of the cube, there is a switch in the configuration section of the Device panel. This can be pulled into the Dashboard wherever you like as well. There is a configuration window, opens once an hour on itself, only during which the cube will respond to mode switch. Mode switch will be scheduled to take effect when the window becomes available. You can also give it a throw action to force a respond! Otherwise, you may open lid and click LINK once to make the cube respond immediately. [Hard Switch]: Open lid and click LINK button 5 times.

:magic_wand: My Cube triggers on the Desk with a slight Bump. How do I fix that?

I have 3 of these cubes. If you aren’t careful they trigger and do all kinds of things just sitting on the desk. Awesome when you want it to do this, but a HUGE PITA if you don’t.

A friend of mine came up with this and it works awesome. He didn’t want people hassling him about remixes and such, so he let me put it on the Thingiverse. I printed one for each of my cubes and because it’s now parked at a diagonal it will not trigger, unless you knock it on the floor or something. I highly suggest you print yourself one of these or find someone to print one for you… It will make cube life much simpler…

NOTICE: This cube can be triggered over a hundred ways, but only 38 of them are unique

:wrench: How does this darn cube work?

There is sample code to make the template sensor in the help file on GitHib named the same as this one and in the community page related to this.

Seeing the cube commands for training the operator

Within this blueprint there is an event handler that will latch the last command that the blueprint finds and sends that to the event buss. From there a simple Template sensor can grab it and show you the last action sent. This will help when setting up new functions and to troubleshoot strange behaviors. Add an entity card in your dashboard for sensor.cube_last_action to see what actions occur as you move the cube.

Yaml file that contains the sample code here

Event Sensor in Action

Sample Script Generation Dashboard Entry

If you wish to ‘store’ these events you can add this sensor to recorder and it will save them for you.

:palm_down_hand: Getting Tap and Flip actions to work

I have had reports of the ‘tap’ action working. It was due to the lack of instructions provided by the manufacturer of the cube. Tap actions on the cube are initiated by sharply tapping the cube 2x on a hard surface like this:

Demo of Tap Action

In a similar manner, flips need to tap the surface at the end of the 90 or 180 flip. Setting up the template sensor above will help train you in the force needed for all the actions.

:speak_no_evil: Acknowledgments

This was ‘forked’ from

Aqara Cube ZHA - Simplified face-based device control
Project authored by EdwardTFN (Edward Firmo) and he based on on several other giants that came up with most of the base code.

ZHA - Aqara Magic Cube (57 actions)

Aqara Magic Cube ZHA (51 actions)

ZHA - Aqara Magic Cube (24 actions)

I sincerely thank Them for their work.
I wanted to support a version that was virtually the same as my Z2M version,
and leverage all the documentation and code samples there but still port it
to ZHA. I also had a better idea for troubleshooting info.

:sun_with_face: Dimmer Control

If you are looking for a dimmer control to change brightness based on rotation, here’s something I cobbled together from other community posts here and there. ( Credit Profile - yourigh - Home Assistant Community and others )

I did this with all the complicated stuff in a script that is called with data from the blueprint automation. Then the complicated part is all in 1 place and there is only 1 copy of it. The same script works for both increase and decrease of brightness because the angle in the cube goes positive when turning clockwise and negative when going counter clockwise.

Code Examples are found in the Yaml file here
If you want to create the script file using a script BluePrint, I have that for you right here: Dimmer Control BluePrint
Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

• The script reduces the angle number to 40% of the rotation angle (you can change this, but 40% works well for my needs).
  • It then grabs the current brightness from the light entity (as a % of the full scale 255 number).
  • The new_brightness target is then calculated.
  • It then checks if the light is already off, and if so, leaves it off.
  • It makes sure the new_brightness is above, in my case, 10% so all the lights come on.
  • It then makes sure that if new_brightness >90%, it is set to 100% and not over that.
  • Finally it provides the calculated brightness %.

NOTICE when building action scripts…

It has been found that some set-ups use trigger.payload_json.action_angle here and others only accept trigger.payload_json.angle here. I have not been able to determine which attributes are available in which version of firmware and/or configurations, so it is up to you to determine the one you need here. Look in the Device listing for this cube and determine which version of angle is one of the listed sensors. That would be the one to use here.

:vertical_traffic_light: Color Control

I also extended this to controlling the color one octet (color) at a time. Each color will use both rotations on one side of the cube. Colors are changed one at a time (Red or Green or Blue) and change the amount (positive ot negative) based on how far you rotate the cube.

If you want to create the color change script file using a script BluePrint, I have that for you right here: Color Change BluePrint

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

• The script reduces the angle number to 60% of the rotation angle (you can change this, but 60% works well for my needs).
  • It then grabs the current colors from the light entity and puts them into a list.
  • The new color target is then calculated.
  • It makes sure the new color is not negative.
  • It then makes sure that the new color is not over 255.
  • Finally it provides the calculated color if not in the limits.

This can be used over and over for as many lights as you want to control. But you will need to repeat this and modify it for red and blue color octets.

It has been found that some set-ups use trigger.payload_json.action_angle here and others only accept trigger.payload_json.angle here. I have not been able to determine which attributes are available in which version of firmware and/or configurations, so it is up to you to determine the one you need here. Look in the Device listing for this cube and determine which version of angle is one of the listed sensors. That would be the one to use here.

:repeat: :red_circle: Using Rotate CW and CCW as a Short-Press / Long-Press Toggle

Not enough switch positions for you? How about a possible 24 more? I came up with some scripts you can add to Home Assistant and call for more actions. One is for CW rotation < 100 degrees, another for > 100 degrees. Also the same for CCW. These are can be called from the Group 1 :apple: rotate actions and the Group 2 :tangerine: rotate actions. Match the CW call/recieve or the CCW call/receive pairs together or you are going to be sad. :weary:

Here is a sample of what you put into the script Blueprint UI. It will need to be a manual YAML edit and contain your specific variables. What you see here is one from my config.

If you want to create the long / short rotation switch script file using a script BluePrint, I have that for you right here: Long Short Rotation Switch BluePrint

You can also do this buy going full gui and picking the matching template out of the below section and filling it in similar to this:

These are the standalone scripts that are ‘called’ from the Script calling yaml shown above. If you don’t need all of these only install the ones you will use.

This is a homeassistant.toggle action, so it can toggle anything that that service can handle. Changing it to homeassistant.turn_on or homeassistant.turn_off would change the behavior slightly if this fits your needs better. Using this integration, you can control lights, switches, locks, and lots of different things.

:headphones: Volume Control

This script was invented to be used with my Magic Cube Blueprints. I released it as a standalone Script Blueprint because because of requests to extend the function of my BP’s with how to convert cube rotation to volume in other places. Research found me this Post from Petro which had a very elegant solution to the problem, It was very easy decision to adopt it here.

If you want to create the script file using a script BluePrint, I have that for you right here: Volume Control BluePrint

• The script scales the angle number of the rotation angle (you can change this, but 30 works well for my needs).
  • You send the script the media_player that you want to adjust.
  • You use a template (examples in the script BP description) to send the angle to the script.
  • Some math happens and it uses the amount you turn the cube to adjust the volume.

Method to use Group 3 :pear: actions and not interfere with Group 1 :apple:

Not enough switch positions for you still? How about another posible 30 more?

This is another ‘action’ that I stumbled upon. I noticed if you turn the cube from side to side very gently, it will internally register as being on a new side, but the flip action doesn’t register. Then if you slide the cube, it will send out an action of slide on side 5 from side 2, or whatever side combo’s you choose. I used 5 from 2 in the example, but you can use any of them.

Showing slide 5 from 2 on the Cube Action Sensor

I’ll be honest, this is the trickiest thing to do yet and I’m not sure it is worth the trouble, but if you want an action in your pocket as a secret action that only you know, this is the trick. Using a soft surface like a towel helps to keep the flip from registering when you set it down.

NOTE: In this example the slide side 5 will also trigger. You may need to add a condition to prevent that from triggering. An example for this 5 from 2 example is to put this condition on the slide side 5 action {{ not last_side == 2 }} before the thing you want to do. Or you can just not have a slide 5 action.

It is as simple as adding a condition of let’s say ‘slide’ in one of the Group 3 :pear: slots.

Here is the GUI editor showing this.

:sun_with_face: :snowflake: Troubleshooting tip

If you are troubleshooting and you want to see more traces back when doing so, here is a TIP I’ve found.
Manually edit the automation created with the ui editor (or manually with a text editor) and add the following to have this automation contain 10 traces instead of the normal 5.
HA Docs on this here.

trace:
  stored_traces: 10

:envelope_with_arrow: Version Updates

Updates will be published on my GIT repository with the rest of my Home Assistant Blueprint collection.

Please Click the :orange_heart: at the end of this top Post if you find this Useful

:calling: Software to Download :floppy_disk:

HA link to download blueprint: Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

Direct link to download Blueprint: https://github.com/SirGoodenough/HA_Blueprints/blob/master/Automations/Zigbee2MQTT-Aqara-Magic-Cube-T1-Pro-CTP-R01-Xiaomi-Lumi.yaml

HA_Blueprints/Automations/Zigbee2MQTT-Aqara-Magic-Cube-T1-Pro-CTP-R01-Xiaomi-Lumi.yaml at master · SirGoodenough/HA_Blueprints · GitHub.

:globe_with_meridians: All My Blueprints

Link to ALL my Blueprints

https://github.com/SirGoodenough/HA_Blueprints/blob/master/README.md

:man_juggling:t5: Contact Links or see my other work

What are we Fixing Today Homepage / Website: https://www.WhatAreWeFixing.Today/

Channel Link URL: (WhatAreWeFixingToday) https://bit.ly/WhatAreWeFixingTodaysYT

Discord Guild: (Sir_Goodenough#9683) WhatAreWeFixingToday?

:cheese: If you want to support me

Buy me Coffee: https://www.buymeacoffee.com/SirGoodenough

PayPal one-off donation link: PayPal.Me

#WhatAreWeFixingToday

#SirGoodEnough

20 Likes

I’ve been looking at buying one of these and have been on the fence about whether or not to get the pro. It seems like you have both as you have scripts for both and I was wondering if you had a recommendation for one over the other, especially as the pro is 5$ more currently and I don’t see a clear reason to spend them.
Thanks for the insight and thanks for this blueprint 118+ actions is crazy

Well the new one has markings on it to help you tell which side is up which is nice.
As far as function the new one is a bit more complicated as it has a mode you can switch. I think the mode switch has something to do the original firmware, but with Z2M the functions are captured and available.
Which is better, to me neither one. I am certain that the old version will no longer be made, as I read somewhere that the new one is supposed to be Matter / Thread capable, but I have not verified that. They both function equally as well.
I bought the new one to set-up the blueprint, but will keep using the old ones.
BTW the new functions of the Pro Cube are currently only available using Z2M. Using ZHA the new one has fewer functions and some of the stuff doesn’t work. I will work to change that, but in the mean time, if you are using ZHA, I suggest getting the old version.

Ok thanks a bunch for the answer, no reason not to save a few bucks especially given how weird the mode switch seems to be (odd activation critieria and more importantly no visible mode indicator presumably to save battery). I’ll whip out my label maker to mark the sides and can’t wait to assign entirely too many automations to that thing.

1 Like

The mode is probably something you set and leave. Click a button on the dashboard and give it a throw and it switches. OK once you figure it out. When I unboxed it was in scene mode and not much worked, so a bit weird at first.

I dropped an issue in ZHA land that features were missing in their implementation. We’ll see where that goes.

Hi @Sir_Goodenough,
awesome script, thanks for sharing.
When I’ve started digging in, I’ve faced some confusion (likely due to my level of experience), that the reference in your initial text might need to be revised:
*As of the time of this writing, you need the PRO version of the cube running this Z2M Extension: [CTPR01.js Z2m Extension Link](https://github.com/JJPro/CTP-R01-converter)*
Following this link first what I have read:
*This converter is officially merged into zigbee2mqtt, thus being archived.*

It looks like this converter is no longer needed.
Would this be correct understanding, or I am missing something?

and the link in this section leads to nowhere… possibly something is lost there, in the blueprint.

*Topic*
*The main MQTT Topic for your cube.*
*Details on finding the correct topic can be found here:*
*[Find my Cube Topic](https://github.com/SirGoodenough/HA_Blueprints/blob/b2a6be4a69db1c3a42afa2a17c0b9f2493cb5f28/Automations/Zigbee2MQTT%20-%20Xiaomi%20Cube%20Controller%20MQTT%20Triggered.md#-to-make-the-blueprint-work-it-will-need)*

I have a feeling that this, not working link has key information (knowledge), which I am missing…
could you please help me to understand, what should be in the field “Topic”?

Your help would be very much appreciated.

Found the problems and fixed them. Please delete the blueprint and re download.

I added a note. I do not believe the supervised addon has been updated with the new devices yet…
NOTE: If your cube is recognized without adding this extension, you don’t need to load this. At some point I will remove this info, but until then, I’m making this available.

Just like that repo says…

Thanks, yes, the cube is fully recognized and all actions are recorded, just in a sequence.
This is what is in the log when I turn it 90°

February 6, 2023
Aqara Cube Pro 01 action
10:55:15 - Now
Aqara Cube Pro 01 action from side changed to None
Aqara Cube Pro 01 side changed to 1
Aqara Cube Pro 01 action changed to flip90
Aqara Cube Pro 01 action from side changed to 4
Aqara Cube Pro 01 action
10:55:12 - 3 seconds ago
Aqara Cube Pro 01 action changed to 1_min_inactivity
10:55:12 - 3 seconds ago

Looking into the script I have couple of questions.
What are these lines for (executable code lines from the trace)?

last_side: ' {# The first time it will not be there, so make sure its 0 instead of undefined. #} {% if not num_ha_val in (''none'', ''null'', ''unavailable'', '''') %} {{ num_ha_val }} {% else %} 0 {% endif %}'
      name: '{{ friendly_name + ''_Number_Helper''}}'
      mdl: Number Helper for Z2M Cube Integration
      mf: SirGoodenough
      sa: house
      sw: 2023-01-26-1
      hw: >-
        https://github.com/SirGoodenough/HA_Blueprints/blob/91a06c209a6a3309d125ed4707a81ea7b4fddec3/Automations/Zigbee2MQTT
        - Xiaomi Cube Controller.yaml
      cu: >-
        https://community.home-assistant.io/t/zigbee2mqtt-xiaomi-cube-controller/393203
      config_topic_2: '{{ ''homeassistant/number/'' + ieee_id + ''/last_side/config'' }}'
      topic_2: '{{ ''homeassistant/number/'' + ieee_id + ''/last_side'' }}'

new version generates an error

bad indentation of a mapping entry (20:62)

17 |  ... ning this Z2M Extension:
 18 |  ... nk](https://github.com/JJPro/CTP-R01-converter)
 19 |  ... ecognized without adding this extension, you don''t need to l ...
 20 |  ...  this info, but until then, I'm making this available.
-----------------------------------------^
 21 |  ... 

I’ve changed to

20 |  ...  this info, but until then, I am making this available.

and error seems to disappear.

New version is also broken for me…

@jkasten80
Sorry people, my bad. I caught that when I loaded it to test but that copy didn’t make it to the repo. The single quote is fixed now.

@AndroGen
Those are variables being set up for operation of the code below and for generating the number helper used to track last side.If you look in your entities list there is an entity created for you so you don’t have to do it yourself. The URL’s are dropped in the device information for the new entity so you can find me if you or anyone has a question where the entity came from. URL’s are only used to get to my GIT or to this thread if you click on them.

If you look down the code farther you will see those variables get plugged into the creation action…

- alias: Make number helper to store last side
  service: mqtt.publish
  data:
    "topic": "{{ config_topic_2 }}"
    "retain": true
    "payload": >
      { "name": "{{ num_name }}",
        "avty_t": "homeassistant/status",
        "uniq_id": "{{ friendly_name + '-' + device_id }}",
        "cmd_t": "{{ topic_2 }}",
        "sta_t": "{{ topic_2 }}",
        "min": "0",
        "max": "6",
        "step": "1",
        "mode": "box",
        "ret": true,
        "dev": {
          "name": "{{ name }}",
          "mdl": "{{ mdl }}",
          "mf": "{{ mf }}",
          "sa": "{{ sa }}",
          "sw": "{{ sw }}",
          "hw": "{{ hw }}",
          "cu": "{{ cu }}",
          "ids": [
            "{{ ieee_id + '-' + num_name }}"
          ]
        }
      }

1 Like

This is Amazing!!! This cube replaces my disconnected alaxa en google home that i didnt want to use anymore…
This is easier… faster…
Took a while to get everyting figured out but i can dim my lights by rotating…
Double tap on a side and trigger stuff

Thanks a lot!! Best thing i did since a long while in home automation land :smiley:

1 Like

A heart on the top post is most appreciated. More hearts means more people see the post.
Thanks for the kind words.

1 Like

Yeah i was struggling for a few hours…
Got the cube and zigbee dongle yesterday
Wrong / old firmware on sonoff zigbee 3.0 usb dongle e… updated to latest fw… then ZHA but couldnt easy get everything working…
But then zigbee2mqtt + your blueprint and explanations nailed it for me :smiley: :+1::ok_hand:

1 Like

New Version:

:bookmark_tabs: Changelog

• 2023-03-01: Add Author Tag. Bump HA required Version to 2023-3-0

Hi, I just tried to import this into HA (latest version) and got this error message:

while scanning a simple key in "<unicode string>", line 3, column 1: </code></pre> ^ could not find expected ':' in "<unicode string>", line 4, column 1: <h2> ^

so it couldn’t be installed.

I just deleted my local file and re-imported from this thread and it imported file. Are you sure you have the right file?

EDIT:
I was able to re-create what you did…
You are downloading the Blueprint Exchange post URL from this chat thread… That does not work,.

Follow this link to this point in the top post where you will find the download links:

@lenzjo

My bad… Haven’t used Blueprints before, I was just following the instruction on the import popup. I found a BP tutorial on you tube that mentioned the import button and I was able to import your Blue Print.

1 Like

Hi, this is a create blueprint, thank you for sharing.

I’ve noticed a new entity in my MQTT devices called
number.cube_desk_last_side yet it’s never populated is this correct, or am I doing something wrong

That is a number helper that the Blueprint creates to give you access to the last side the cube was on. It should be created by the BP and updated by the BP without intervention on your part…
You can see it here where Yertle is my Cube name and the number helper is right below it in devices: Open your Home Assistant instance and show your devices.

inside the number helper link you see…

It updates when you flip the cube sideways with the number of the side it was last on.