Can't install Hass.io from USB on NUC?

You could probably boot into a live distro and dd it from there directly to the HDD

Try searching before posting? This thread looks to have your answer. Sometimes documentation is scattered.

Thank you for your helpful replay @anon34565116!

Of course I have searched the forums before posting. :roll_eyes:

@xbmcnut in the post you linked to did obviously get to the part when the installation started. As you can read I never got this,just a boot menu. I have flashed to the latest BIOS and formatted the HDD.

1 Like

Sorry.
My preference is Linux with Hassio anyway instead of HassOs.

This was my impression too. So I imaged my SSD in an external enclosure then moved it to the pc. However that post linked above implies it is able to be used as an installer.

The HassOS version currently does not have an installer. You have two options.

• [Easiest] Remove the SSD/HDD from the NUC and image the drive using Etcher or Win32 Disk Imager directly
  • [Harder] Boot to a live Linux Distro with the NUC image copied to a USB drive and use the instructions in the aforementioned thread here to image the drive using Linux commands

I’m about to attempt the 2nd option again as I got an new NUC today and it uses a mSATA drive that I currently don’t have a USB adapter for.

Thank you so much for this “guide” :slight_smile:
I have been a little mad at my nuc because i was not able to get BT working (proxmox), and with this i was able to load the image to my ssd and run my NUC with working BT in the same way i was with my pi before :smile:

Im so happy :smiley:

1 Like

What?! How did you get your bluetooth to work @allanpersson?!

I followed the steps in easiest from

and just imaged the nuc image to the ssd and now i have a intel-nuc running like a RPI and with bluetooth working :smiley:

(Let me know if you want me to explain more, but i think the guide in post 9 is explaining good :smiley: )

1 Like

I did the same (removed the SSD and flashed the image directly from my computer) but I never got my NUC:s BT to work. BT works fine using the same backup on a RPi but not on the NUC.

My build in just started to work after that way… I see it’s the gattool which works if it is any help?

1 Like

Where do you see gattool? I checked the log and under the hardware tab but cant find anything about bluetooth.

My NUC is a Intel DN2820FYK and should include integrated bluetooth.

In terminal: pip install gattool

I’m using Hass.io. I don’t think I can use pip.

I have no problem in same place to do pip install… I found inspiration here https://www.home-assistant.io/components/miflora/

Nice! I got the NUC to see the BT devices using bluetoothctl in terminal!

Obviously the BT on the NUC work and can view the devices! Yey! However, the new devices is not added to the known_devices.yaml.

Did you have to add something in device_tracker.yaml @allanpersson? This is my file:

- platform: bluetooth_tracker
  request_rssi: true
  interval_seconds: 15  
  consider_home: 180
  new_device_defaults:
      track_new_devices: false
      hide_if_away: false
#
- platform: bluetooth_le_tracker
  track_new_devices: true

No it just works… But when you start HA you can trigger the scan by searching for BT devices on your mobile phone.

any particular reason? This would allow you to use the NUC for other things as well.

I am the same as n0ir: With native install, and a couple of components, I can quite easily max out resources on my i7 16GB RAM NUC, I don’t really want to add additional management layers/OS that needs updating etc when I can do pretty much everything I would want to do from within Hassio + available addons…

Perhaps maxing it out is a sign that it’s not an OS optimized for your hardware at all. I run Alpine Linux on my NUC with a bunch of containers and don’t even come close to maxing out an i3 + 8gb RAM.