Home Assistant Community

Can't install Hass.io from USB on NUC?

Hi!

I have bought an used NUC (DN2820FYK) to replace my RPi3B+.

I do NOT want to install Ubuntu and Docker, only the Intel NUC image.

I have flashed hassos_intel-nuc-2.12.img to an USB stick using Etcher and booted the NUC.

However, the installation of Hass.io do not start. I only get a “HassOS boot Menu”:

Nothing happens when I choose the different options. I can get a command prompt if I choose “4: Shell” but I don’t know how to start the installation:

I have tried to install Ubuntu and Windows on the NUC and this works. I have also tried the latest image hassos_intel-nuc-3.1.img from https://github.com/home-assistant/hassos/releases without success. I just can’t seem to start the HassOS install.

Please advice!

Nuc install

I’m pretty sure the img file is intended to be flashed directly to the device. I don’t think it is an installer

I’m not sure how this would work? Should I remove the HDD from the NUC and flash using a HDD USB case?

You could probably boot into a live distro and dd it from there directly to the HDD

Try searching before posting? This thread looks to have your answer. Sometimes documentation is scattered.

Thank you for your helpful replay @bosborne!

Of course I have searched the forums before posting. :roll_eyes:

@xbmcnut in the post you linked to did obviously get to the part when the installation started. As you can read I never got this,just a boot menu. I have flashed to the latest BIOS and formatted the HDD.

1 Like

Sorry.
My preference is Linux with Hassio anyway instead of HassOs.

This was my impression too. So I imaged my SSD in an external enclosure then moved it to the pc. However that post linked above implies it is able to be used as an installer.

The HassOS version currently does not have an installer. You have two options.

• [Easiest] Remove the SSD/HDD from the NUC and image the drive using Etcher or Win32 Disk Imager directly
  • [Harder] Boot to a live Linux Distro with the NUC image copied to a USB drive and use the instructions in the aforementioned thread here to image the drive using Linux commands

I’m about to attempt the 2nd option again as I got an new NUC today and it uses a mSATA drive that I currently don’t have a USB adapter for.

Nuc install