IKEA RODRET Dimmer Remote (E2201) - ZHA/Z2M - Control anything

IKEA RODRET - Control anything (ZHA/Z2M)

Hello people.

This blueprint will allow you to control anything with an IKEA RODRET Dimmer (On/Off remote + dimming) via ZHA or Zigbee2MQTT.
Check the lighter version to only control a light if that’s all you need → IKEA RODRET Dimmer Remote (E2201) - ZHA - Control Light :bulb:

:notebook_with_decorative_cover: How-to

This blueprint provides multiple ways to trigger any chain of actions:

• Press “on”/“off” button
  • Double press “on”/“off” button - These virutal events are disabled by default. When enabled (with related Expose option), there will be a slight delay (corresponding to the Helper - Double press delay value) on the single press action(s)
  • Hold “on”/“off” button

:spiral_notepad: Nota Bene
This blueprint is using single mode on purpose: to avoid double press actions triggering both single AND double press events.
:arrow_right_hook: As a consequence, buttons release event is not exposed as it’s used to cancel the hold action(s)

:blue_book: Blueprint

Click the badge to import this Blueprint requires Home Assistant Core 2021.3 or higher
Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

:page_facing_up: Check the code

Code is now available on this gist :eyes: .

:notebook: Changelog

v1.2

• Add Zigbee2MQTT support :mosquito: with 2 new options:
    • (Zigbee2MQTT) Remote Name: specify your device name as shown in Z2M
    • (Zigbee2MQTT) Base mqtt topic: Z2M topic. Defaulted to zigbee2mqtt
  • Minor enhancements

v1.1

• use choose + Trigger ID instead of variables to define which sequence to run

v1.0

• First version of this automation featuring any kind of actions when:
    • press on/off buttons
    • double-press on/off buttons
    • hold on/off buttons

:bulb: It was inspired by

8 Likes

I just managed to get it working wiht Zigbee2MQTT. Here is a pastebin of the converter extension: IKEA RODRET Zigbee2MQTT - Pastebin.com

If anybody need help setting this up just ask :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just a small note, as I have just bought the Rodret, and had a small challenge with connecting it to my Zigbee network.
It has to be reset before I could connect it. The reset isn’t described in the short guide in the box, but can be found here: https://www.ikea.com/ca/en/manuals/rodret-wireless-dimmer-power-switch-smart-white__AA-2389077-1-100.pdf
To reset the Rodret, quick-press the pairing button 4 times (within 5 seconds). It will flash red in the diode afterwards, and it can be discovered by HA.

Thank’s for the blueprint! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

@JakobMatz it looks like you cropped some line endings in your pastebin. Lines 15,16 and 21 all end with a “>” symbol and are syntactially incorrect.

1 Like

Hi,

I’m trying to add it to debonz but its not recognised. Anyone happen to have a DDF for it?
Thanks!

Yes I have the same. No luck guessing what it should be.

Ok, I found this: E2201 RODRET Status Error · Issue #18347 · Koenkk/zigbee2mqtt · GitHub and it seems to help me one step closer. But I get no ikea devices recognized by the blueprint.
What can be wrong?

This blueprint only recognizes Ikea Rodret through ZHA integration.

You can check your device properties and compare to the blueprint:

integration: zha
manufacturer: IKEA of Sweden
model: RODRET Dimmer

If you have something else it won’t show up.

“If anybody need help setting this up just ask”
I have Zigbee2Mqtt but I don’t know how to use the code you posted. What is a ‘coverter extension’? Is it an extension to the ZHA blueprint?

I’m struggling with my new Rodret switch.

I’m using HA with ZHA. I was able to get everything to work. I connected the switch (via my Conbee stick). I was able to create an automation using this blueprint. The automation just toggles 1 light.

The problem is there is a delay. With my other remotes (I have a few Styrbar remotes, and some tradfri remotes) my lights seem to turn on instantly. With the Rodret there is a 1 second delay before the light switches.

I tried a few different lights in my home and got the same thing. I tried two different Rodret remotes and got the same. I also tried the “light” version of the blueprint. Always a delay.

When I look in the logbook of my HA it appears the other remotes, when pressed, show up instantly in the logbook. The Rodret takes a second or so.

Any suggestions?

Hey

Regarding this blueprint, it could probably be related to the double press action being enabled through expose on/off double press event options. When this is enabled, there is a delay which is used to wait for a second click to happen, and if not, the single press action is finally triggered.
You can disable it to check.

For the Light blueprint, as there is no double press event exposed, it could be that the light.turn_on/off service is called with

data: 
  transition: 1

And then your light is indeed waiting 1sec to turn on/off without diming.
You can try to manually edit the Light blueprint to see if removing this fixes the issue. If that’s the case, I could push a new version making the transition time a blueprint option.

Editing a blueprint is beyond my ability.

I updated and restarted my HA. Interestingly, the advanced blueprint automation is now working nicely. No delay. The automation based on the lighter blueprint is still delayed.

I continue to have issues with this remote.

I figured out how to edit blueprints. I removed one instance of data: transition: 1 and it broke the blueprint. I’m not sure how to do that.

The behaviour I’m getting is erratic. I am now only using this blueprint, not the simple one. The simple on e seems to always have a delay. Using this blueprint I sometimes get a delay, though not always. Sometimes if I toggle a light it works but a few seconds later toggles it back.

Is there a way to add an action on the release from hold?
I would like to use these dimmer switches for curtains and have a setup where a single press is open / close and a hold is start opening / closing till the button is released.

Looking at the events there is a event fired when the button is released from a hold so it should be possible to add an action like with the others
I’ve made an automation for the old Ikea dimmer switch but I would like to replace them with the new RODRET since the CR2032 batteries in the old one are awful and need to be replaced way to often

Sorry, only now see the Nota Bene about the hold release, I’m afraid I have to find some other solution :frowning:

Hey,

Yep, sorry about that but this is intended to avoid other overcomplicated mechanisms for double press events mostly.
What you could do still, is bypassing the blueprint by copying the sequence that waits/stops from hold action and add your action before actually stoping.

eg: (I assumed that you dont need to loop on the hold action, so the wait > timeout mechanism is a bit different from the blueprint)

- wait_for_trigger:
          - platform: event
            event_type: zha_event
            event_data:
              device_id: <your remote's device_id>
        timeout: # this block is optional, remove if you dont want to timeout
          milliseconds: <value> # whatever value you want to handle in case of "release event" is never received
      - if:
          - condition: and
            conditions:
              - "{{ wait.trigger.event.data.command == 'stop_with_on_off' }}"
              - "{{ wait.trigger.event.data.cluster_id == 8 }}"
              - "{{ wait.trigger.event.data.endpoint_id == 1 }}"
        then:
          - <your specific action to stop the curtains>
          - stop: button released

Do not forget the stop at the end to avoid the script from running indefinitely :grimacing: (the blueprint will take over at this point and wait again for a release event otherwise)

Hi Damru,

Thanks for sharing this blueprint.
Is there an easy way to edit this blueprint to support the RODRET controlled via z2m instead of zha ?

Thanks!

Second this, would love to be able to do double clicks with the Rodret via z2m if possible!

There’s a pull request for a zha quirk to expose it as events if people are looking for an alternative (it’s largely a simplified Tradfri 2-button switch.

I am using the Rodret with deconz using the STYRBAR bluprint in case someone is looking for a way to make it work

1 Like