Repository: Community Hass.io Add-ons

Hass.io allows anyone to create add-on repositories to share their add-ons for Hass.io easily. This repository is one of those repositories, providing extra Home Assistant add-ons for your Hass.io installation.

The primary goal of this project is to provide you (as a Hass.io / Home Assistant user) with additional, high quality, add-ons that allow you to take your automated home to the next level.

:warning: This topic has been split up into a topic for each add-on! :warning:

This allows for keeping dicussions for each add-on on topic.
The add-ons listed below will link to the new topics.

Add-ons provided by this repository

AppDaemon

Python Apps and HADashboard for Home Assistant

Homebridge

Homebridge is a server that emulates the iOS HomeKit API, allowing you to control your Home Assistant via Apple devices (including Siri).

IDE

Advanced IDE for Home Assistant, based on Cloud9 IDE

Pi-hole

Network-wide ad blocking using your Hass.io instance.

SSH - Secure Shell

This is an enhanced version of the provided SSH add-on by Home Assistant and focusses on security, usability, and flexibility.

Terminal

This add-on allows you to log in to your Hass.io Home Assistant instance using a web terminal. It is like SSH but in your Home Assistant frontend.

Tor

Protect your privacy and access Home Assistant via Tor.

Repository on GitHub

Vote for the next add-on

• FTP Server
  • Pi-hole
  • OpenVPN
  • CUPS / Printserver
  • Tor
  • Graphana
  • InfluxDB
  • Airplay audio server

0 voters

7 Likes

About the author of these add-ons

Hi there!

I am Franck Nijhof, and I have 30 years of programming experience, in many languages. I am using this experience to work on the Home Assistant project by giving back my knowledge and time to the open source community.

The add-on you are currently looking at right now was developed/packaged by me. It is not the only add-on I have created; there are many many more :wink:

However, I have a problem… I am an addict. A :coffee: addict that is. Lucky for you, I turn that C8H10N4O2 (caffeine molecule) into code (and add-ons)!

If you want to show your appreciation, consider buying me a cup of high octane wakey juice by clicking on the “By me a coffee” image below! :heart:

Buy me a coffee

Or, become a Patron and support my work!

Enjoy your add-on, while I enjoy the brain juice. :coffee:

Thanks for all the :two_hearts:

…/Frenck

Join our Discord server Follow me on Twitter Flollow me on Instragram Follow me on GitHub Follow me on YouTube Follow me on Twitch patreon-icon

P.S.: In case you want to ask me a question: AMA (Ask Me Anything). Most of the time I am online at the Discord chat. (I go by @Frenck in there as well).

2 Likes

I voted for options that are not covered by other repos.

I use openvpn AS, I recommend it for the admin UI.
There is docker image(s) already available:
https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/openvpn-as/

Yeah, I have to go with the options not supported by other repos too. I already have a working InfluxDB and Grafana instance, but would really like to see the pi-hole and openVPN implemented.

Thanks,

Yeah, the UI is great and all, but the whole thing is limited to 2 connections.
You’ll have to pay if you want more ($15 a year per connection).
In my case; a couple of iPhones, iPads and a laptop… $$$

Next issue: Closed source (or am I missing something?)

You’re right - I forgot about the concurrent connection limit.
For me at home its not a problem. I won’t generally be logged in on more than one device at a time, and no one else is using VPN.
So the tradeoff between simplicity to deploy and create users, certs etc vs low connections limit was good (for me).
I think it was less that 30 mins from deploying the OVPN AS VM from their ovf to a fully working system including google authenticator support.

How about something like Pritunl?

1 Like

11 posts were merged into an existing topic: Community Hass.io Add-on: Terminal

Looks nice… but I dont have any experience of it.

Tellstick would be lovely to have. I have a lot of Nexa controllers and a Tellstick Duo. I used this guide on hassbian but I don’t know how to make it into an addon for hassio.

83 posts were merged into an existing topic: Add-on: Homebridge

:tada: Major repository updates.

Sorry, it took a long time, but this involved a lot of testing and searching the Hassio codebase in order to find its possibilities and boundaries.

I’ve released three plugins in relatively a short time frame and quickly discovered that the whole Hassio repository thingy did not work for me, regarding flexibility, maintainability, and testability.

Finally, I’ve found a more useable setup. Things changed:

• Every add-on now has its own GitHub repository
    This makes separation of concerns is very useful in a lot of ways. It gives me separation of GitHub issues, allows me to use GitHub releases, makes setting up tests a breeze, and a lot of other stuff.

• The Hassio repository maintains a working state
    The Hassio repository https://github.com/hassio-addons/repository, will still be the main entry point. So for you guys, nothing changes. The repository itself does not contain any actual add-on code, but merely stub to point your Hass.io in the right direction.

• Each add-on is easily forkable and locally buildable
    Since each add-on now has its own repository on GitHub, we are given the possibility to add each add-on to the Hassio installation separatly. This makes it easy to fork the repository on GitHub, add the forked repository to your Hassio instance, test build it, and open a PR with the original repository.

WARNING: Doing this will build the add-on locally on your device using the latest version found in the repository.

• Incubator
    This new setup allows me to create an add-on and put them out into public testing. I’ve added a new Hassio repository, that will contain alpha/beta releases of unreleased plugins.
    At the time of writing, this repository is empty but will be filled with some cool stuff soon. Check it out: https://github.com/hassio-addons/incubator

Everything has already been restructured; you can see the result of this on:

I want to thank @pvizeli for answering the mountains of questions I’ve fired at him on Discord; for fixing some of my issues and implementing some new features with/in the Hassio codebase. :+1:

I hope you can understand why I was holding back on fixing open issues.

Thank you for your patience.

…/Frenck

4 Likes

For better security: fail2ban

1 Like

I like your idea @Cent, but as far as I know, that won’t be possible via add-ons :thinking:

Home Assistant supports that native: https://home-assistant.io/components/http/

ip_ban_enabled Flag indicating whether additional IP filtering is enabled. Defaults to False.
login_attempts_threshold Number of failed login attemt from single IP after which it will be automatically banned if ip_ban_enabled is True. Defaults to -1, meaning that no new automatic bans will be added.

I got mine set to true and 4.

1 Like

True… but this is only limited to the web interface of Home Assistant. This does not protect other add-ons or installed services.

For as far as I can see that only applies to the web interface and not to eg. SSH. So there is little protection, and you have to login as root with SSH also (although due to the partition of the SD card not everythign is exposed).

Dasher …

I loaded it manually on my hassio, but an official add-on would be extremely helpful for many users.
Dasher is an excellent addition to home assistant.

1 Like

Hi,
I think it would be better to use this vpn tool. It also includes openvpn:

https://hub.docker.com/r/siomiz/softethervpn/

Daranto

There is already a great working add-on for dasher: https://github.com/james-fry/hassio-addons/tree/master/dasher

1 Like