🌡 Temperature Control Exhaust Fan

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

GitHub Link Click Here

Like this blueprint? Consider hitting the :heart: button below :+1:

Version: 1.8 :fire:

Need help? :eyes: See our FAQ: Click Here

:newspaper: The Automation Process:

• When the sensor rises above the set value it turns the fan ON.
  • When the sensor falls below the set value it turns the fan OFF.
  • You have the option to use the the maximum run time.
  • If you would like the opposite values then try this blueprint. ❄ Temperature Control Exhaust Fan - Inverted
  • You have the option to use the “Fan Speed - Off Switch Option”. This is useful for turning OFF fans with different speeds.
  • You have the option to use the “Trigger Sensor By-pass”. This allows you to add a switch to manually By-pass the trigger sensor so you can use the fan as normal by turning it ON and OFF manually.
  • You have the option to set a start time, an end time and select weekdays. This will only allow the automation to run between the time periods.
  • You have the option to enter in any global conditions you like.
  • Safe guard built in for HA restart.

:rocket: CHANGELOG

• Version: 1.8 - 17 Oct-23 - Fixed bug in global conditions.
  • Version: 1.7 - 12 Oct-23 - Added maximum run time & global conditions.
  • Version: 1.6 - 21 Sep-23 - Update deprecated code.
  • Version: 1.5 - 10 July-23 - Added a 3 new option to the by-pass & a auto OFF option + more options with some bug fixes.
  • Version: 1.4 - 28 Jan-23 - Added “Fan Speed - Off Switch Option”
  • Version: 1.3 - 26 Jan-23 - Added weekday selection.
  • Version: 1.2 - 13 Jan-23 - fixed the selection bug in By-pass
  • Version: 1.1 - 11 Jan-23 - fixed a bug in By-pass
  • Version: 1.0 - 10 Jan-23 - Initial release

:shield: MY OTHER BLUEPRINTS

:bulb: Sensor Light - Motion Sensor - Door Sensor - Sun Elevation - LUX Value - Scenes - Time
:infinity: Sensor Light Add On - Media & Movie Lights - House Alarm Lights - Smoke Alarm Lights & Exhaust Fans + More
:shower: Bathroom Humidity Exhaust Fan
:low_battery: Low Battery Notifications & Actions
:vibration_mode: Appliance Notifications & Actions - Washing Machine - Clothes Dryer - Dish Washer - ETC
:calendar: Calendar Notifications & Actions
:round_pushpin: State Notifications & Actions
:toilet: Toilet Exhaust Fan with time delay
:hourglass_flowing_sand: Entity - Run ON Timer
:stopwatch: Trigger - Run ON Timer
:gear: Turn Light, Switch or Scene On & Off with Trigger Conditions
:magic_wand: Manual light control with auto OFF
:door: Closet, Pantry, and Cupboard Lighting
:timer_clock: Timer
:snowflake: Temperature Control Exhaust Fan - Inverted
:eight_spoked_asterisk: Toggle Switch - Turn ON & OFF Entities
:nazar_amulet: Press Button - Turn ON & OFF Entities
:on: Switch - Turn ON & OFF Entities

Like this blueprint? Consider hitting the :heart: button below :+1:

12 Likes

FAQ

Q: I don’t fully understand the “Fan Speed - Off Switch Option”, could you explain it to me?

A Sometimes you need to select a different entity to turn the fan OFF. This is normally used when having a fan that has different speeds and one of the speeds is OFF. You normally have to turn ON the switch to turn the fan OFF. If you have this scenario then select your OFF speed entity here. If you do not have this, then please leave it blank.

Q: How to use the “Trigger Sensor By-pass” without having a physical switch?

A: If you don’t have a physical switch you can create one in Home Assistant that will allow you to use the by-pass. If you would like to create a by-pass switch then follow the steps below.

How to create a By-pass switch

• First go to Settings / Devices & Services / click on the “Helpers” tab / click “+ CREATE HELPER” and select “Toggle”.
  • In the name area, enter a name that best suits you. For this example we will put “Temp Exhaust Fan Sensor By-pass”. Then click save.
  • Go back into the automation and in the “Trigger Sensor By-pass” search for the name you created, in our case “Bathroom Humidity Sensor By-pass”. Then click save.

How to add by-pass switch to a dashboard

• In a “Dashboard” click “Edit dashboard” then click “+ ADD CARD” click on “Button” or “Entities” and in the entity field again search for the name (entity) you created in our case “Temp Exhaust Fan Sensor By-pass”. Then click save.
  • Then click “DONE”.

You now have a “Trigger Sensor By-pass” switch to disable the trigger sensor of your Temperature Control Exhaust Fan automation.

Q: I would like to set a different value but the slider is not letting me?

A Just simply type the number value you would like in the field and click save. A red line will appear under the number you have entered but once you click save, exit the automation and go back into it the red line will not be there.

Hi, I have implemented this blueprint and it works, thanks a lot. I have another possible situation and I would like to ask you if it can be done. Supose we also have a window in the room and hence we can do ventilation manually. Would it be possible that the automation to not run if the window is open based on the reading from an open/close window sensor?

Yep, try using the by-pass and put your window sensor in there. When window is open it will be in the “ON” state thus stopping the automation and you will have manual control over your dehumidifier. You will have to make sure the dehumidifier is OFF when you do this. Would this work for you?

1 Like

Hi, thanks. I will try it tonight, so basically when you say “You will have to make sure the dehumidifier is OFF when you do this” you are practically saying that I should change the automation and put the by-pass when the automation is not active, meaning the dehumidifier is off, am I right?

No, It will not matter if the dehumidifier is ON or OFF when you open the window, but if you would like it OFF and it is ON when you open the window you will have to manually turn it OFF. It will then stay OFF as the automation will be disabled until you close the window. If it is OFF when you open the window it will stay OFF until you close the window and allow the automation to take control. Same goes if you would like it ON.

So basically the window open / close acts like a by-pass disabling the automation. Open being disabled, closed being enabled. You then have manually control of the dehumidifier when it is disabled (window open).

Edit: That just made me thing of a potential bug / problem. I have fixed it now and there will be a new update version 1.1 out soon.

Excellent explanation, thanks. I will add an Aqara mini switch so that I can put the dehumidifier to OFF before opening the window.

New update 1.1

Fixed a bug in by-pass. If the rising value was above the set point and by-pass was turned OFF from ON the fan would stay OFF. Now the fan will be turned ON and the automation will run.

Enjoy

Blacky :grinning:

If you don’t mind I wanted to make a suggestion, I think the condition is more elegant written like this.

# All Conditions

condition:

#Trigger conditions

- or:

- '{{trigger.entity_id == trigger_sensor}}'

- "{{ trigger.id == 't2' or trigger.id == 't3'}}"

# Check the By-pass

- or:

- "{{ include_bypass == 'bypass_disabled' }}"

- "{{ trigger_bypass == 'none' }}"

- "{{ (include_bypass == 'bypass_enabled') and (states[trigger_bypass].state == 'off') }}"

# Check The Time Options

- or:

- "{{ include_time == 'time_disabled' }}"

- and:

- condition: time

after: !input after_time

before: !input before_time

-  "{{ include_time == 'time_enabled' }}"

Love it. Thanks for the tip :wink:

I guess the automation cannot use the same switch both as switch and bypass, right? (i.e. if I turn the fan on it will stay on until I turn it off)
So I will have to create a dummy switch.

Hi:
On next release if possible the temperature values to be with a decimal for fine tunning ex: xx.x
Thanks

Yes that is correct. Please see FAQ for how to do this.

Just simply type the number you would like and click save. Please see FAQ for this.

Hi:
Ok thanks with cursor keys (left and right) i can have 20 20.5 21 21.5 and so on.
Did not realized that.
Thanks

All good happy to help any time :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

If you would like 20.3 just type it in and click save.

Hi Blacky, just stepped in to say that everything is working perfectly based on your blueprint, once the humidity rises over 30% the dehumidifier kicks in and brings it down. Tonight I’m going to add an Aqara button and test the by-pass option with window open.

I was looking for a blueprint that I could use to create a automation that would allow me to use temperature from a Shelly H&T and turn on/off an Insteon plug that has a heater connected to it. Your blueprint seems like a good starting point but the plug doesn’t show as an option under fan switch. I’m assuming because it’s not a switch but a plug. Is there a way to make it work? Thanks in advance.

It was a bug in HA update from 2023.1.0 to 2023.1.2. I reported it on 2023.1.0 and they have fixed it now :+1:. Try updating to 2023.1.4 and let us know how you go.

hi:
I upgrade HA to 2023.1.4 deleted the automation and create a new one and i get the error:

Message malformed: Entity none is neither a valid entity ID nor a valid UUID for dictionary value @ data[‘entity_id’]

of course using the same sensors.
any idea ??
Thanks

1 Like