📳 Appliance Notifications & Actions - Washing Machine - Clothes Dryer - Dish Washer - ETC

Open your Home Assistant instance and show the blueprint import dialog with a specific blueprint pre-filled.

GitHub Link Click Here

:thinking: Watts your appliance up to, you’re always in the know from start to finish!:bellhop_bell::electric_plug::money_with_wings:

Like this blueprint? Consider hitting the :heart: button below :+1:

Version: 1.9 :fire:

Need help? :eyes: See our FAQ: Click Here

:newspaper: The Automation Process:

• Appliance Trigger:

• Enter the power sensor entity that measures the live current draw of the appliance. Common devices with these sensors include smart plugs, energy meters, etc.
    • The automation is triggered when the appliance’s current draw exceeds a set wattage.
    • The automation ends when the appliance’s current draw falls below a set value.
  • Notification Options:

• Send notification messages to one or multiple devices when the appliance starts and/or finishes.
    • Your end message can include estimates of total power consumption and cost.
    • Notifications are compatible with both Apple iOS and Android devices, ensuring universal accessibility.
  • Power Tracking:

• Utilize power tracking for estimating total power consumption and cost.

:warning: Disclaimer - These values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. Please avoid relying solely on these estimates for accuracy and use them at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies or resulting losses, damages, inconvenience, or anything else that may occur.

• Custom Actions:

• Tailor custom actions to suit your preferences and needs, enhancing the automation’s functionality.
    • Configure actions such as triggering announcements on platforms like The Voice (HA), Google, Alexa, etc., to keep you informed about appliance events.
  • Time-Based Automation:

• Specify precise start and end times along with weekday selections to define when the automation can run.
  • Custom Conditions:

• Enter any custom conditions to further customize the automation process.

:rocket: CHANGELOG

• Version: 1.9 - 17 March-24 - Added ability to select an energy sensor for price per kWh.
  • Version: 1.8 - 23 Feb-24 - Added power tracking option. New layout.
  • Version: 1.7 - 22 Jan-24 - Added a running dead zone
  • Version: 1.6 - 13 Jan-24 - Fixed bug in custom action options.
  • Version: 1.5 - 5 Dec-23 - Added custom action options.
  • Version: 1.4 - 5 Dec-23 - UI Redesign of inputs.
  • Version: 1.3 - 4 Dec-23 - Initial release

:shield: MY OTHER BLUEPRINTS

:bulb: Sensor Light - Motion Sensor - Door Sensor - Sun Elevation - LUX Value - Scenes - Time
:infinity: Sensor Light Add On - Media & Movie Lights - House Alarm Lights - Smoke Alarm Lights & Exhaust Fans + More
:shower: Bathroom Humidity Exhaust Fan
:low_battery: Low Battery Notifications & Actions
:calendar: Calendar Notifications & Actions
:round_pushpin: State Notifications & Actions
:toilet: Toilet Exhaust Fan with time delay
:hourglass_flowing_sand: Entity - Run ON Timer
:stopwatch: Trigger - Run ON Timer
:gear: Turn Light, Switch or Scene On & Off with Trigger Conditions
:magic_wand: Manual light control with auto OFF
:door: Closet, Pantry, and Cupboard Lighting
:timer_clock: Timer
:thermometer: Temperature Control Exhaust Fan
:snowflake: Temperature Control Exhaust Fan - Inverted
:eight_spoked_asterisk: Toggle Switch - Turn ON & OFF Entities
:nazar_amulet: Press Button - Turn ON & OFF Entities
:on: Switch - Turn ON & OFF Entities

Like this blueprint? Consider hitting the :heart: button below :+1:

37 Likes

FAQ

Below are the FAQ question. A good starting point is to read “The Settings & Best Practice Guidelines” Click Here.

Q: How do I set up the automation?

A: Please Click Here to see and example of this.

Q: How do I create a number helper?

A: Please Click Here

Initial release 1.3

New blueprint :partying_face: Hope you like it :wink:

If you like this blueprint? Consider hitting the :heart: button in the top post :+1:

If you like my blueprints, and would like to show your support or just say thank you? Click Here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Enjoy

Blacky :grinning:

1 Like

great work on this one. also i was wondering if you can include ALEXA notification to it also.

1 Like

I don’t use ALEXA but I will put it on the list of suggestions.

New Update 1.4

UI Update :desktop_computer:

• Redesign the front end inputs as it was not realy clear on how to use it.

If you like this blueprint? Consider hitting the :heart: button in the top post :+1:

If you like my blueprints, and would like to show your support or just say thank you? Click Here :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Enjoy

FAQ - The Settings & Best Practice Guidelines

The below image of our settings shows you the main setup (trigger) for this blueprint. You will need to enter and adjust all the trigger settings for the automation to work.

:zap: The Trigger Settings

• Power Sensor

Enter in a power sensor entity that measures the power consumption of the appliance that you wish to be notified when it either starts and or finishes. The most common devices that achieve this are smart plugs.

• Setting Up The Automation

The best way to work out your settings is to run your appliance once so Home Assistant can collect all the data. Once you have the data in Home Assistant we can look at the history of the power sensor. You will be able to see what current the appliance draws when it starts, running and when it is finished. The below history graph is a full wash cycle of my washing machine. I have drawn in some red lines to reference in this example, lines “A” and “B”.

If we look closely at line “A” we can see the washing machine draws around 8.4 watts from when it is turns ON, this is when we select our washing settings. We can also see when we actually start the washing machine to wash the clothes it draws above 11.2 watts for over 5 minutes.

Start - Appliance Power Setpoint - From the starting data we can enter in 10 watt for our setpoint. We have chosen this setpoint because it is a current value between the appliance just being turned ON at 8.4 watts to it actually running washing the clothes at above 11.2 watts.

Start - Power Time Delay - Because we know when it starts, it stays above 11.2 watts for 5 minutes we can set our time delay to 1 minute. The minute time delay helps to stop a false trigger if there was ever a short spike in power. If there was a short spike then the automation will not run.

Once we added in our start trigger settings we can then work out our end (OFF) settings. For this we will look at line “B”. Moving our mouse over the history data we can see the lowest value is 8.1 watts. Our washing machine turns itself OFF once finished to then drop down to 0.5 watts. If your washing machine or any appliance your using does not automaticity turn itself OFF then you will have to work out a current and time value that works for you.

• Running - Dead Zone - Once the appliance starts, you can implement a dead zone to prevent a false end trigger. This is particularly useful when the power briefly dips below the appliance’s end setpoint during the cycle after startup. Setting the running dead zone beyond this point ensures a reliable conclusion by preventing a premature end trigger.

If you observe a dip in watts below your endpoint during the cycle, this typically occurs around the same time once the cycle starts. By incorporating a dead zone beyond this point (but not before the endpoint), you can prevent this dip in watts from affecting the entire automation and receive a notification.

End - Appliance Power Setpoint - Because we know it turns itself OFF to then drop from 8.1 watts to 0.5 watts we chosen a setpoint of 5 watt.

End - Power Time Delay - We have also set a 1 minute time delay as it just helps to make sure we receive a true notification when it is finished.

That is it, your automation is set up. You may have to fine turn it but this will give you a good starting point on what settings to use for your appliance.

Below our the settings.

Below is a history graph of a wash cycle.

:bell: Notification Settings

• Use The Start Notify Options (Optional)

Select enable if you would like to be notified when the appliance starts.

• Start Notify - Devices Notified When Started - Select the devices to be notified when the appliance starts.

• Start Notify - Title - Enter in the notification title that you would like to receive when the appliance starts.

• Start Notify - Message - Enter in the notification message that you would like to receive when the appliance starts.

• Use The End Notify Options (Optional)

Select enable if you would like to be notified when the appliance finishes.

• End Notify - Devices Notified When Finished - Select the devices to be notified when the appliance has finished.

• End Notify - Title - Enter in the notification title that you would like to receive when the appliance has finished.

• End Notify - Message - Enter in the notification message that you would like to receive when the appliance has finished.

:zap: Enable Power Tracking Option

This feature can include power information in your end notify message, or you can choose to only update the start and end helpers for use in your custom actions. The end notify options are to receive either the total kWh used in the cycle or the total kWh used along with an estimated cost for the cycle

• :warning: Disclaimer - These values are estimates and should only be used as a guide. Please avoid relying solely on these estimates for accuracy and use them at your own risk. We cannot be held responsible for any inaccuracies or resulting losses, damages, inconvenience, or anything else that may occur.

For more information on how to create a number helper please Click Here

:gear: Custom Action Options

You can add any action you would like to perform at the start and / or the end. This is normally used if you would like to play an announcement on The Voice (HA), Google, Alexa, etc when the appliance has started and / or finished.

:timer_clock: Use The Time Options (Optional)

Use the “Start Time”, “End Time” and “Weekdays” values to only run the automation between the time periods. This can be useful if you ever run an appliance at night when you are sleeping and don’t want to be notified.

• Start Time - Set the start time.

• End Time - Set the end time.

• Weekdays - Select the days of the week you would like the automation to run. You must select “Enable the time options” above for the weekdays selections to work.

:globe_with_meridians: Global Conditions

• Enter any global conditions you would like to apply to the automation.

Hope this helps to explain some of the settings :face_with_monocle:

Enjoy

Blacky :smiley:

Back to FAQ: Click Here

2 Likes

Ok ive setup automations for my washer before, the only issue is that the power drops between cycles of rinse and spin. So I have to set it to alert only if power is off for a good 5 minutes. I see you accunted for this. Great job. I use my speakers to announce its done, that would be a nice addition

Nice one, thanks

I am looking into this. What do you use google Alexa… as I am looking for some beta testers.

Sonos. And tts.cloud_say Here my action

- service: media_player.volume_set
    data:
      volume_level: 0.55
    target:
      entity_id: media_player.move
- service: tts.cloud_say
    data:
      cache: false
      entity_id: media_player.move
- service: tts.cloud_say
    data:
      cache: false
      entity_id: media_player.office
1 Like

New Update 1.5

New Feature :new:

• Custom Action Options (Optional) - You can add any action you would like to perform at the start and / or the end. This is normally used if you would like to play an announcement on The Voice (HA), Google, Alexa, etc when the appliance has started and / or finished.

Enjoy

3 Likes

Nice Blueprint. Just wondering does it support Washer/Dryers with WiFi enabled integrations (no need for smart plug) i.e LG ThinkQ Washer?

Thanks

This will work of power measurement (numeric state). I think there is a HACS integration for this. Just google “LG ThinkQ home assistant”.

Thanks again for adding the custom actions for notifications.

Another idea I had is adding in a filter/maintenence reminder. Instead of having seperate blueprints. Example, I have an ice machine and I added it to this blueprint. Adding another trigger for input_number 90 days everytime I change its filter would be nice. So it would tell me everytime it finishes a cycle and when it needs a new filter. Some things like the fridge I don’t need to know when it’s turned off, but I can still use the filter alert setting.
There are some BPs that do this but I’d like it centralized and Appliance notifications and actions BP seems like a perfect place.

Hvac
Filter: yes
Threshold: 90 days
Power Sensor: none
Washer
Filter: none
Power sensor: sensor.washer_power
Threshold: 15 watts
Ice Machine:
Filter: yes
Threshold: 90 days
Power sensor: sensor.ice_power
Threshold: 6 watts
Etc

@Littlejoe

If you are looking for some type of notification on dates / time then have a look at my :calendar: Calendar Notifications & Actions blueprint. Try and set up a calendar for service ( I have one for home and one for service) then put in you calendar events in service when you change the filter + 90 day and then it will notify you when to do it :wink: No need for input number. In this blueprint it can work of a key word or not. That is why it so good to set up a calendar for service and dont use key word, then every event you put into service you will get notified. One blueprint, one automation covers every service item. Just use the the title and description sensors built in so you know what your being notified of. Example

1. Ice machine filter
  2. Fridge filter
  3. Bins rubbish reminder
  4. Fertilise lawn
  5. Clean gutters
  6. Check pool
  7. Clean range hood filters
  8. Change oil in lawnmower
  9. Service XYZ
  10. etc

Or you can use key word and have a custom automation tailored to your event :partying_face:

Yeah I saw that one too. There is another one out too but again i like one the idea of one , I’ll eventually edit this one myself. Just been busy. Thanks.

Yeh, I use that integration already. It’s just a faff setting up automations and notifications with it, would’ve been nice to use a blueprint instead, no worries.

@Littlejoe @hazio

Okay looks like I should expand this to give more options. I think I am understanding what you are trying to do and see this can be a nice option to have.

If I need your help I will PM you to see if you would like to work through this with me and maybe beta test it.

If you are reading this and would like to be involved then let us know.

@hazio if you can PM me we will work through the wifi intergradation.

1 Like

Now your blueprint for appliances is available - super! :partying_face:

I noticed that you use ‘minutes’ as the unit for ‘Power Time Delay’, that works perfect for dishwashers and dryers. When it comes to my (well known) coffee machine, I would need ‘seconds’ as unit.

@nicknol

You can do some maths and just type the number you would like. Example

5 seconds would be: 5 X 0.0166 = 0.083 or just enter in 0.08
or
30 seconds would be: 30 X 0.0166 = 0.498 or just enter in 0.5

It should be close

1 Like